Skiing, Snowboard or Skis?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2006, 01:36 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Skiing, Snowboard or Skis?

I am going to Andorra in January and it's twenty years since I skied

To top it off it is only a weekend (Fri-Mon) so wanting to do whichever I am likley to pick up quickest.

Or should I just go to the bar
Old 15 November 2006, 01:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If you've skied before on ski, I'd say go with them. I haven't snowboarded but been skiing a few times. Been told it can be quite hard to adjust.

Don't go to the bar! If its very high you won't be used to the reduced oxygen content and you'll get pi55ed quicker and take longer to recover.
Old 15 November 2006, 01:42 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You'll spend two days getting a bruised backside on a Snowboard, progress after that for a beginner is faster than skiing. If you've skied before, ski again. Oh and make sure you visit the old town, it's beautiful, the new resorts are like the Costa Del Sol on ice.
Old 15 November 2006, 01:45 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Stick to the ski's mate i can do both, and find when i want a relaxing time i ski, and when im in the mood for a good hoon, i get out me board If you cant board, you'll never pick it up in a couple of days, and it would ruin ur holiday, its no fun fallin over all day
Old 15 November 2006, 02:43 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I would agree that skiing is prob the best option.

1 week to learn to board you will probably be better on the last day than the person learning to ski from scratch however you will spend a lot more time on your backside over the first few days!

Only problem is that skis and techniques have changed so much in the last 5 years let alone 20! So you will be pretty much starting from scratch again as the old bend ze knees and heels together are not the best teaching points to remember any more!

What ever you do I am sure it will be fun!

Andy

speedymonkey you need to get on some factory GS skis mate nothing relaxing about them and you can over take boarders like they are going uphill
Old 15 November 2006, 03:04 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the learning curve is much steeper on a snowboard and you look so much cooler !!!
as for speed , skis are faster than a board and i do hate getting passed by hooharr henrys on skis !
Old 15 November 2006, 03:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All you'll do with boarding is 2 days of lessons.

Go for the skis.
Old 15 November 2006, 03:42 PM
stevo261072
Scooby Newbie

stick to skiis, snowboards are a completely different game to skiis and as posted previous you will come away with a well bruised ****. basically because when you push to get on your feet you never want to push up too hard that you end up going all the way over and end up with your face in the snow, not a cool look trust me haha.
Old 15 November 2006, 03:47 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
the learning curve is much steeper on a snowboard and you look so much cooler !!!
as for speed , skis are faster than a board and i do hate getting passed by hooharr henrys on skis !
This used to be the case but not any more. Park skiing has taken off big time and a lot of my boarder friends are moving the other way. Granted no one likes the hooharr henrys attitude to skiing but then no one likes the boarders who decide a good place to sit down is on a blind roller! Idiots are idiots no matter what they use to get down a mountain.
I ski and board (of a fashion) and even give a bit of telemarking a go and as long as you are courtious and enjoy the mountains no one really cares what you do! (apart from snowbladers who are beyond help )

Andy
Old 15 November 2006, 03:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 106rallye
as long as you are courtious and enjoy the mountains no one SHOULD really care what you do!
Edited for accuracy, unfortunately.
Old 15 November 2006, 03:57 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like the last comment
Old 15 November 2006, 04:11 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Brendan I suppose you are right really unfortunatley - though its arguable that its not worth bothering with the stereotypical people who do care. The skiiers who don't like boarders are generally in their all in ones (should only be used with a monoboard!) with 210cm non carving skis who ski all over everyones boards and generally don't know how to behaive in the lift queue.

The boarders who winge about skiiers are generally all the gear no idea too cool for school type who look better stationary than when they are moving!

Both sorts I can do without really! - now wheres my monoboard
Old 15 November 2006, 04:45 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Andy, just added it as I had skiied for six weeks then did a one-week boarding course over the pond and got abuse from trying to use some tools outside a ski-hut - the instructor explained, sadly, they were for skiers not for boarders. I've done both and am happy with both, but there are a few miserable old die-hards out there, and I was peeved that I was lumped with one rather than the other.

Monoboard - I loved them, haven't seen one for years. Taught me to lean forward on skis, which I still don't do properly - the result the day after, back on skis, was nothing short of astonishing. Wish I could find one for a day each week when I go out, but no!
Old 15 November 2006, 04:59 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
the instructor explained, sadly, they were for skiers not for boarders.
theres always one - I wonder if he teaches the DIN chart to his beginners! if anything it should be the other way round! messing with ski bindings is not something he should be getting people to do!! Whereas its ok to have a play with the stance on a board really with in reason.

As for the mono-ing we had one in the hire department of the shop i worked in last year didn't go out much though! Has to be worn with full 70s or 80s fluro gear a head band and aviators only - nothing else will do!

Andy
Old 15 November 2006, 05:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Sorry, wasn't clear - got abuse from the owner of the hut, and when I looked perplexed, my boarding instructor explained the guy obviously hated boarders.

Fluro and aviators - yeah!
Old 15 November 2006, 06:21 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

WAKEBOARD
Old 15 November 2006, 06:38 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
WAKEBOARD
no good when the lake is frozen
Old 15 November 2006, 11:34 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Cheers for advice, think consensus is Skiing then

My bruv has never been and when I advised him about the boarding and spending all the time on his a$$ he said he won't fall over lol! I think he's in for a surprise.