lcd televisions

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2006, 05:51 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lcd televisions

my missus is desperate to get one

so we went and had a look ideally i wont to spend as little as possible cos we will need a new cabinet

to me, unless it was showing an hd channel, the lcd and plasma ones looked blurred as soon as something moved quickly

the guy at xxxxxx said its our normal aerial that isnt vey good in the shop, but surely hes not going to sell many if his aerial isnt much cop.

my neighbour has one and on normal ntl picture to me looks blurred during fast action on the screen.

do you have to have HD for them to look sharp, cos the normal picture looks **** to me,
Old 12 November 2006, 05:55 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a cheap (1k) LG Plasma and you are right about the slight blurring thing. TBH, i don't notice it unless i'm looking for it.
My tv is HD, but i'm yet to see it perform using a HD source. I do have SKY Digi but have none of the HD channels. Do i need a different box for this?
Old 12 November 2006, 05:56 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Dammit - sorry, i've just completly hijacked your thread
Old 12 November 2006, 06:05 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Do i need a different box for this?
Yes you need an HD box.
Old 12 November 2006, 06:09 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

tell your missus that a yr from now it will be outdated. Wait a little longer and reap the rewards with better viewing pleasure, or stumbled prices on the TV's that are on sale today
Old 12 November 2006, 06:11 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

hi, just an update,

i told her she was an outdated TV and shes no longer a viewing pleasure.

she punched me in the face !
Old 12 November 2006, 06:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
my missus is desperate to get one

so we went and had a look ideally i wont to spend as little as possible cos we will need a new cabinet

to me, unless it was showing an hd channel, the lcd and plasma ones looked blurred as soon as something moved quickly

the guy at xxxxxx said its our normal aerial that isnt vey good in the shop, but surely hes not going to sell many if his aerial isnt much cop.

my neighbour has one and on normal ntl picture to me looks blurred during fast action on the screen.

do you have to have HD for them to look sharp, cos the normal picture looks **** to me,
Are you pslewis? If you wont pay for decent kit then you cant expect much can you? Pete is too cheap to spend proper money and he cant understand why they look ****e. His justification is that broadcast television looks poor..... (but hes too soft to appreciate that the broadcast signal doesnt improve as the size of your screen does; so the bigger you go, the more of the flaws you can see).
Old 12 November 2006, 06:35 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Signal strength is a major component in the picture quality on the large screen LCD televisions. As long as you have a decent quality signal the picture will be good, not jaw droppingly so like in HD mode but still worthy of the premium over the CRT jobbies. When the HD hardware price comes down get yourself a piece of the action and enjoy. Re Brun's query, yes you need another digibox and subscription to watch HD on Sky.

Maz
Old 12 November 2006, 07:16 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Won't be getting any of that then
Old 12 November 2006, 07:21 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

My mum and dad have just got a 32" Toshiba LCD, I'm not feeling it. I reckon our 32" Panasonic CRT is better. Also, a mate has sent his 42" LCD back as it wasn't up to much. All three are on satelite TV.

As for waiting till the prices drop, that's just daft! The market will never stop, you will never have the latest thing! Whatever you buy, whenever you buy it, it'll will always be outdated and no doubt cheaper in weeks to come! Just bite the bullet and buy!
Old 12 November 2006, 07:25 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Won't be getting any of that then
Sky HD is currently £300 for the box, £60 installation and an extra £10 a month if you have two or more premium channels, if you don't it's an extra £20 a month as you have to pay for Sky+ as well.

Cheers
Lee
Old 12 November 2006, 07:25 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

As a stop-gap, the 32" Technosonic (rebranded Thomson by all accounts) at Woolworths is getting raved about over on AVForums...

....whereas Thomson want at least £1K for it.... Woolies want £399....

Buy Technosonic 32 Inch HD ready LCD TV Silver from Woolworths.co.uk online shop

The only problem appears to be getting your hands on one!
Old 12 November 2006, 07:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Until HD is the norm, I don't see the point?

No freeview HD for a few years
No HD DVD, well not cheap anyway.

I'll just end up with a nice looking TV that displays nornmal images worse than my current CRT Do I understand right?
Old 12 November 2006, 07:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh cme on, they arent worse than a CRT, thats just CRT owners who can't afford a decent LCD trying to justify not buying one, I personally dnt notice much difference for or against, stands to reason that a HD LCD is better, higher resolution it just that it isn't using it all at the moment.

X factor will stil be **** on whatever you watch it on.

Dont go looking at Technosonic or other cheapo LCD's, you need to read the reviews and dont just buy on screen size, etter to get a quality 32 than a cheap 42, the bigger you go the more the picture gets stretched and deficiencies in crap lcd's will show, even a top range 60 inch won't look so hot from six feet away, the temptation is to buy the biggest available but you nee to look at the size of the room, ours is only a tiddler at 26 inches but its fine, 32 would have been better but much better would have looked daft.
Old 12 November 2006, 07:47 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

thats just CRT owners who can't afford a decent LCD trying to justify not buying one
Actually no, we could well afford one in fact with the size of our room a slimmer TV would be a huge bonus! The LCDs I've seen, admittedly not many have seemed slow and jerky to me...maybe you get used to this?
Old 12 November 2006, 07:58 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Actually no, we could well afford one in fact with the size of our room a slimmer TV would be a huge bonus! The LCDs I've seen, admittedly not many have seemed slow and jerky to me...maybe you get used to this?

In shops where there is a shared signal, picture quality will be questionable. With a decent signal it is much better.
Old 12 November 2006, 08:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

As a stop-gap, the 32" Technosonic (rebranded Thomson by all accounts) at Woolworths is getting raved about over on AVForums...

....whereas Thomson want at least £1K for it.... Woolies want £399....

Buy Technosonic 32 Inch HD ready LCD TV Silver from Woolworths.co.uk online shop

The only problem appears to be getting your hands on one!
I bought one of those for the bedroom and it's currently the main TV until I order my panny 9-series plasma. For £399 the Technosonic is very impressive - with some SD sources the picture quality is fairly questionable but with good RGB scart to my old telewest box it's currently punching Lord of the Rings very well
Old 12 November 2006, 08:41 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
As for waiting till the prices drop, that's just daft! The market will never stop, you will never have the latest thing! Whatever you buy, whenever you buy it, it'll will always be outdated and no doubt cheaper in weeks to come! Just bite the bullet and buy!

Thats what minidisc, betamax and dvd player buyers said.
Old 12 November 2006, 09:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its like all the people out there that still listen to old gramaphone records because its so much warmer and expressive, yawn.

Oop's shouldnt be slagging Woollies stuff, damn good value, the only item we don't get any discount on.

Xbox 360 looks toss on a CRT.
Old 12 November 2006, 09:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Double post.

Last edited by J4CKO; 12 November 2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12 November 2006, 09:39 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its like all the people out there that still listen to old gramaphone records because its so much warmer and expressive, yawn.

Oop's shouldnt be slagging Woollies stuff, damn good value, the only item we don't get any discount on.

Xbox 360 looks toss on a CRT.

And PS3 will look toss on whatever LCD or plasma TV you own at the moment. Once SED's come out and then have been on the market for a year or two you should be able to pick up a very good TV at a decent price. If you went out and bought the latest gadget everytime it came out you would be poor.

Hell if you want to waste money then its yours to do so, I myself havent even upgraded to widescreen, and once SED's are at a decent price I will get one, having saved thousands of pounds in the mean time where many CRT's do look better than lcd etc mainly due to signal.
Old 12 November 2006, 10:24 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Wait for 1020p to become mainstream. 720p is already yesterdays news.
Old 12 November 2006, 10:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Im waiting for 3d roll up paper thin projector thingys.

We only upgraded from the 21 inch Mitsubishi from my deceased uncles house cos it conked out.

Last edited by J4CKO; 12 November 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12 November 2006, 10:39 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

1080p

Andy
Old 12 November 2006, 11:01 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
1080p

Andy
Yeah yeah smartarse
Old 13 November 2006, 08:24 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Hell if you want to waste money then its yours to do so, I myself havent even upgraded to widescreen, and once SED's are at a decent price I will get one, having saved thousands of pounds in the mean time where many CRT's do look better than lcd etc mainly due to signal.
So you're still riding a penny-farthing bicycle are you ? waiting for that 0-60 in 2 seconds but 100mpg car that is always just around the corner....

You buy the best you can afford at the time and enjoy it, or save your money and brag that you've got more than everyone else, but had a p!ss boring life.
Old 13 November 2006, 09:11 AM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

AudiLover can't buy anything. He's still at school
Old 13 November 2006, 09:51 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same position, really tempted to get an LCD HD tv to make the best use of my Xbox 360. Trouble is I don't have any access to other HD material, upscaling DVD players cost a fortune and the Blueray/HD-DVD battle is always only ever going to have one winner.
LCD's i've seen with a standard def picture do suffer from ghosting and struggle to impress me enough to part with several weeks wages.
I'm another that's going to sit on the fence and see it 1080p becomes the norm and if the HDMI encryption gets turned on.
Old 13 November 2006, 10:14 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

No one's mentioned how far off 1080p broadcasts are. If you think 720p 'freeview' is a couple of years off, you'll be waiting decades for 1080p....
Old 13 November 2006, 10:17 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

I advise everyone to sit on the fence...... I purchased a very expensive set up so that I could get sky HD and now I've got it I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

You have to pay an extra £10 a month for High-Definition versions of channels that are already there.

The difference is noticeable but is not exactly a massive step up and certainly does not justify the investment needed.

However if you are using Xbox High-Definition is worthwhile

Quick Reply: lcd televisions