Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sat nav question

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2006, 08:34 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat nav question

is it possible to find farms and cottages etc in rural areas just by their names via a download or something (tomtom 510), I have postcode search, but sometimes its not accurate enough to find the house/farm very easy.

If not anyone got any tips finding places in rural areas,

cheers
Taffy
Old 01 November 2006, 08:39 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
is it possible to find farms and cottages etc in rural areas just by their names via a download or something (tomtom 510), I have postcode search, but sometimes its not accurate enough to find the house/farm very easy.

cheers
Taffy

if they have a postcode, then most satnavs will find it, but be warned....farmhouses, outbuildings and remote cottages are sometimes missed off the mapping....if in any doubt, ask how hard it is for the local postie to find them

you have to rely on a closest location and then find your way...
Old 01 November 2006, 09:22 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Some remote farms are individually named on OS maps - if you know roughly where it is, use the ordnance survey website 1:25k maps or higher res. I think you can put postcodes in to that - Get a map online free from Ordnance Survey, Britain's national mapping agency
Old 02 November 2006, 09:26 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Thanks, just to add that I might do about 15 drops a day (mini bulk fuel tanker) and I dont know where I'm going untill I start work on that day.
I just thought you might be able to get names etc on POI or a download of somekind , anyone know?

Postcodes work quite good, but occasionally it gets it wrong or there's the wrong postcode on the delivery note.

Cheers
Taffy
Old 02 November 2006, 10:50 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, just to add that I might do about 15 drops a day (mini bulk fuel tanker) and I dont know where I'm going untill I start work on that day.
I just thought you might be able to get names etc on POI or a download of somekind , anyone know?

Postcodes work quite good, but occasionally it gets it wrong or there's the wrong postcode on the delivery note.

Cheers
Taffy

my sat nav does POI and postcodes etc...but surely it is up to the depot to give you the right locations so you dont waste your time finding the bleeding places (and I should know cos I live in a place with no mains gas so oil tanks it is)

but at least if you are delivering fuel, you will never run out whilst getting lost )
Old 02 November 2006, 11:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

cheers
Taffy

Satnav is not that intelligent. MY TOMTOM3 had sent me round the earth a few times looking for both country and urban locations. I don't find it that reliable. I got fed up and parted with it.