Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

has anyone used the online service to buy roadtax?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 05:25 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question has anyone used the online service to buy roadtax?

as the question says, ive been trying to use it and it keeps saying it cannot find my insurance details, ive looked at there FAQ and it says if its new policy it takes a while to show up on the database, but im thinking they havent got it working yet. any other views in this?

BM
Old 18 August 2006, 05:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure if it works with all Insurance companies - could be wrong, worked OK for me with Elephant though.
Old 18 August 2006, 05:27 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bartmanuk
as the question says, ive been trying to use it and it keeps saying it cannot find my insurance details, ive looked at there FAQ and it says if its new policy it takes a while to show up on the database, but im thinking they havent got it working yet. any other views in this?

BM
I used it in July - worked fine. That doesn't mean it's working now of course.

ETA - also Elephant
Old 18 August 2006, 05:29 PM
richiewong
Twatful

No problems with mine, tax disc arrived a few days after applying online.

Admiral group.
Old 18 August 2006, 05:29 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

Used it a couple of times now, no probs, nice and easy.

Bob
Old 18 August 2006, 05:30 PM
Ipkis' Wifey
Scooby Regular

i used it in May to retax my Cortina - had no problems
Old 18 August 2006, 05:33 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

N3 DOO used it last week to tax my GTV
Old 18 August 2006, 05:38 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

If your insurance is running out at the same time as your tax disk then that's the problem - I went through this in May and it drove me insane!!

Basically if your insurance is up for renewal - even if it's with the same company and you've had that "you don't need to do anything if you want to continue with us" letter - then the DVLA site won't pick up your insurance and you won't be able to renew online.

We had to do it over the counter in the end.

Best advice, get 6 months tax this time, then 12 months so that the 2 dates don't co-incide again.

Enjoy.....
Old 18 August 2006, 05:45 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Here's the thread from back then....

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-tax-bu....html?t=519346
Old 18 August 2006, 08:24 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Used it for the last half a dozen road tax experiences (we don't buy any more, you see, because that implies they do us a service).

I've found it works well and avoids sharing the Post Office with the crumblies on pension day...

SB
Old 18 August 2006, 08:34 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used it in Feb and it was fine for me.

As stated by others it was 8 months away from my insurance, not sure what if any difference that made,
Mind I was pulled by the Police a few weeks before as they said the data base didn't have any insurance details down for my car,
I have the feeling the copper was telling porky pies

Mark
Old 18 August 2006, 08:36 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

worked for me, got it in about three days after paying for it, good news is that even though you may not get tax disk for a few days, your car will show as being taxed, so if you drive past an anpr you will be ok, worked for me!
Old 18 August 2006, 08:54 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley

I've found it works well and avoids sharing the Post Office with the crumblies on pension day...

SB
yup, no more standing in ****ty post offices with smelly gits
Old 18 August 2006, 08:58 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

No problems for me either, especially useful if you are close to the expiry date as I believe its registered on the DVLA computer immediately.

The online service can have problems if you have recently moved address or as mentioned just changed insurance companies. If your insurance and MOT are sorted then there shouldn't be any problems
Old 18 August 2006, 09:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bartmanuk

BM
I have.I had no probs with it at all
Old 18 August 2006, 09:52 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I used it last year no problems.

This year my tax renewal came through and it did not give me the option to do it on line???
Old 18 August 2006, 09:59 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I used it last year no problems.

This year my tax renewal came through and it did not give me the option to do it on line???
Nor did mine but I have just followed the instructions on the website and it has allowed me to tax the car

Car was MOT'd today so I assume it was waiting for that info being added to the database
Old 18 August 2006, 10:52 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Small point, its now Vehicle Excise Duty.

In the dim and distant past it was a road tax, with all the money raised going into a ringfenced fund to be used to maintain and improve roads. But as ever the government got greedy and started to cream off money to spend on other things. Eventually they had to admit that the road tax was no such thing and hence we now have VED.

Sad fact of the day......
Old 19 August 2006, 12:21 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Basically if your insurance is up for renewal - even if it's with the same company and you've had that "you don't need to do anything if you want to continue with us" letter - then the DVLA site won't pick up your insurance and you won't be able to renew online.
Not what I found. Road Tax due on 1st April - reminder received by post in early March. Insurance renewal due on 2nd April - "up for renewal" reminder received in early March.

I got the car MOT'd around 20th March and renewed the Road Tax (from 1st April) on line later on the same day that the MOT was passed.

I didn't have any problems at all due to the insurance renewal being due soon. The car was insured when I taxed it.
Old 19 August 2006, 12:24 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Nor did mine but I have just followed the instructions on the website and it has allowed me to tax the car

Car was MOT'd today so I assume it was waiting for that info being added to the database
IIRC, don't u need a ref number to type in to able to do it online in the first place?

p.s. I taxed my car and then did it's first MOT so maybe that is why it did not allow me to do it online?
Old 19 August 2006, 07:09 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine the other day with no probs at all. Yes you do need a ref number that is shown on the top right of the V11 form they send you.
Old 19 August 2006, 08:01 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

I never got a renewal form for my car, but taxed it on line no probs.
Old 19 August 2006, 08:46 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by The Hoff
I did mine the other day with no probs at all. Yes you do need a ref number that is shown on the top right of the V11 form they send you.
You can also use reg no and ref no from your v5

Phil
Old 19 August 2006, 08:56 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thought it was a reference number off the new fangled MOT certificate that was needed.

My tax is due at the end of the month so I think I'll give it a go
Old 19 August 2006, 09:19 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Nope

you need either the online reference number from your renewal notice

or

Reg No and Ref number on the V5

Your car Must have a new style MOT form i.e. registered by the garage online
Old 19 August 2006, 09:47 AM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Reffro
Small point, its now Vehicle Excise Duty.

In the dim and distant past it was a road tax, with all the money raised going into a ringfenced fund to be used to maintain and improve roads. But as ever the government got greedy and started to cream off money to spend on other things. Eventually they had to admit that the road tax was no such thing and hence we now have VED.

Sad fact of the day......

then why is the address they give you? www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc
if it isnt called road tax anymore.

thanks for all the comments etc... suppose i will have to keep trying

BM
Old 19 August 2006, 02:34 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I don't make this stuff up.....

"The Finance Act 1910 replaced the earlier system with the "Road Fund tax", based on a scale of liabilities based on horsepower rating, formulated by the Royal Automobile Club and subsequently referred to as the "Treasury rating". The Act stipulated that the funds raised should be used for maintaining the road network. The fund was administered by the Roads Board, which had considerable difficulty spending the money it raised, until it was replaced by the new Ministry of Transport in 1919, which abolished petrol duties and increased vehicle duties. The tax disc was first introduced in 1921, under the Roads and Finance Act 1920, which set the duty at £1 per horsepower. The UK Road Fund remained in place until 1937, when it was abolished the hypothecation of vehicle duties for roads came to an end. Responsibility for vehicle licensing was passed from county councils to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre in 1965."

Its now called Vehicle Excise Duty, but everyone prefers to call it road tax in conversation, so to make it easy they stick with the old name.

"What is Vehicle Excise Duty?

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is an annual tax on the ownership of road vehicles, frequently referred to as "car tax" although it applies equally to vans, lorries and motorcycles.

The duty is administered by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Owners of vehicles who have paid the duty are issued with a "tax disc", which must be displayed prominently on the vehicle."

I was just saying it actually used to be a road tax, now however its just a revenue raiser for the treasury to use to pay their pet projects.
Old 19 August 2006, 02:58 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

it worked today, horray,
3 days after renwing my insurance, the database must have been updated today.

BM
Old 19 August 2006, 03:01 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Westfield MOT'd on wednesday, went to tax the car online as it runs out this month. Type in V5 ref no + reg number, comes up saying it's insured and MOT'd OK, enter in my card details and hey presto my tax disc should appear in a few days. Did the last time I used it to insure the tin-top.

I find this all the more amazing as it's a government run/funded IT scheme that not only works but also has to interface with the general public AND it only takes a few minutes. Certainly a lot better than digging out all the forms/ins certificate/mot etc. and queuing up in the post office for ages as they're only open while you are at work and everyone else has to go at lunchtime etc. OK, so there will be some that it doesn't work for but this is rare and often due to lack of mot/insurance/timing etc. Just make sure your insurance is up to date, if recently mot'd, just give it a day or two to let it flow through the system and you should be ok.
Old 20 August 2006, 11:58 AM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Westfield MOT'd on wednesday, went to tax the car online as it runs out this month. Type in V5 ref no + reg number, comes up saying it's insured and MOT'd OK, enter in my card details and hey presto my tax disc should appear in a few days. Did the last time I used it to insure the tin-top.

I find this all the more amazing as it's a government run/funded IT scheme that not only works but also has to interface with the general public AND it only takes a few minutes. Certainly a lot better than digging out all the forms/ins certificate/mot etc. and queuing up in the post office for ages as they're only open while you are at work and everyone else has to go at lunchtime etc. OK, so there will be some that it doesn't work for but this is rare and often due to lack of mot/insurance/timing etc. Just make sure your insurance is up to date, if recently mot'd, just give it a day or two to let it flow through the system and you should be ok.

you took more than 3 mins to write that then Dracoro.

BM

Quick Reply: has anyone used the online service to buy roadtax?