Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Extended warranty, how to claim refund ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 11:00 AM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty, how to claim refund ?

As thread, I have heard that if you purchased an extended warranty ( in this case for an electrical item ) and never claimed that you are entitled to claim back the cost of the policy, is this true ?.
Tried looking on various websites but have not found anything definite, anyone clued up on this to know ?.
The policy was bought 5 years ago and is now just expired so if there's money to claim back then I want it.

Any info. appreciated .

Mark.
Old 24 October 2006, 11:04 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I don't think so. Think of an extended warrantee as an insurance policy (refer to homeserve as a prime example ), the company that provides it is an insurer.

Do you ask for a refund of your car insurance if you don't claim (ignoring NCBs)?

You can get a refund for any outstanding months if you decide to cancel the policy before it expires (minus admin and penalty fees).

You best bet with these policies is if they provide a "new for old" clause...just blow it up before it expires and get a new one But be careful though, they often don't cover accidental/abuse damage and some policies have clauses that void the policy if the item becomes "uneconomical to repair", were the policy ceases from the point of the item being "written off" by a repairer.

Last edited by Shark Man; 24 October 2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: cheating the system ;)
Old 24 October 2006, 11:17 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I think it depends on the warranty. I had one from Comet a few years back that had a full refund if you didn't claim, and we're about to claim the refund on the warranty we had on a sofa.

I think the idea is that they hope you'll take out the warranty on the basis that you get a refund if you don't claim, but they hope you'll forget about that and never claim the refund.
Old 24 October 2006, 11:59 AM
ScoobyWRX300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SWRTWannabe
I think it depends on the warranty. I had one from Comet a few years back that had a full refund if you didn't claim.
I bought a washing machine + extended warranty from Comet around 7 or 8 years ago. After 5 years I hadn't claimed and got around £200 back

From memory, you have to remember to claim the refund (they don't write to you) and you only have a short window to do it (1 month I think).
Old 24 October 2006, 12:06 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

[QUOTE=SWRTWannabe]I think it depends on the warranty. I had one from Comet a few years back that had a full refund if you didn't claim, and we're about to claim the refund on the warranty we had on a sofa.

Would that be an electrical sofa?

Last edited by r32; 24 October 2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 24 October 2006, 01:44 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Would that be an electrical sofa?
Oi! I'm not PS Lewis - I don't need one of those electrical "lift you up and onto your feet" seats

The warranty was actually a stain protection, but I didn't mention that in case the thread went smutty over what sort of stains it might cover....

Last edited by SWRTWannabe; 24 October 2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 24 October 2006, 02:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MTayler
As thread, I have heard that if you purchased an extended warranty ( in this case for an electrical item ) and never claimed that you are entitled to claim back the cost of the policy, is this true ?.
Tried looking on various websites but have not found anything definite, anyone clued up on this to know ?.
The policy was bought 5 years ago and is now just expired so if there's money to claim back then I want it.

Any info. appreciated .

Mark.
No, its nonsense; sorry. Large companies such as Dixon Stores Group only really make a profit as a result of extended warranties! Companies like Richer Sounds, who give you your money back at the end of the extended warranty period are in a tiny minority and they make quite a big deal about this at the time that you take it out, so youd certainly be aware.

Why are stupid stories like this perpetuated?

Simon
Old 24 October 2006, 07:29 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Thanks so far peeps, a mixed reaction on this topic .
I suppose the best bet is to give them a call and see how far I get, won't get shirty as if they are in the clear then there is 100 % no argument.

Will keep you posted .
Old 24 October 2006, 07:43 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If you have the terms and conditions of the warranty, it should be in the small print