Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No hot water??

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 08:00 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No hot water??

Hi, can anyone help me? I can only get hot water if I put the heating on, if I just have the hot water set to come on it gets luke warm at best. Boiler is only about 2 years old. Not been in house long and its getting annoying!!

Mrs wants us to replace it with a combi boiler, any thoughts/suggestions?

thanks
Old 24 October 2006, 08:22 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

There's a valve near your hot water tank that switches between the heating circuit and the boiler which has stuck. Get it changed (probably cost about £60) and it'll work again.
Old 24 October 2006, 08:25 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go for a combi unless it has a built in tank, even then I'd think twice about having one again.
Old 24 October 2006, 09:02 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I wouldn't go for a combi unless it has a built in tank, even then I'd think twice about having one again.
Why would that be?

The new combi/condensing boiler that would have to be fitted now anyway are very good, very economical, I get hot water on demand and that demand can be met even with the tap on full crack!!! Fills a bath in minutes!!!

Theyre not as expensive as they used to be either. Ive just replaced my system and got rid of the seperate tank which gave me an extra 4 ft in my bathroom!! Enough space for a shower!

I bought mine from B+Q (sounds daft but they were the best) and its actually a local company to me that were being sold there.....Ravenheat! Warms the house up in 10 minutes and can only have the heating on for that length of time 3 times a day. Just so warm.
Old 24 October 2006, 09:07 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
Why would that be?

The new combi/condensing boiler that would have to be fitted now anyway are very good, very economical, I get hot water on demand and that demand can be met even with the tap on full crack!!! Fills a bath in minutes!!!

Theyre not as expensive as they used to be either. Ive just replaced my system and got rid of the seperate tank which gave me an extra 4 ft in my bathroom!! Enough space for a shower!

I bought mine from B+Q (sounds daft but they were the best) and its actually a local company to me that were being sold there.....Ravenheat! Warms the house up in 10 minutes and can only have the heating on for that length of time 3 times a day. Just so warm.
Can I ask how much it was, more so the fitting of it, thanks.
Old 24 October 2006, 09:09 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There's a valve near your hot water tank that switches between the heating circuit and the boiler which has stuck. Get it changed (probably cost about £60) and it'll work again
I'll second that.....sounds like the motorised valve has stuck or is not opening one way. There is often a metal lever on the end of the silver box to 'override' the motor - does this move?
Old 24 October 2006, 09:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
nowt wrong with mine, brilliant thing IMO.
Old 24 October 2006, 09:21 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5201
Can I ask how much it was, more so the fitting of it, thanks.
I paid 450 quid for the boiler and a friend of a friend fitted it for 200 quid per day (took him 2 days). Because he isnt domestic he had to get another friend (corgi) to come and sign the job off. Saved me a few quid and kicks out the power for 12 rads!

If you ring anyone they will quote 1200-2500 to fit a new boiler.