Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ideas for moving further oop North...

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2006, 02:50 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for moving further oop North...

My girlfriend and I are considering relocating to somewhere outside of Londons commuter belt.
We're tired of the stress, bussyness, pace of life around London, and place a quieter less stressful existance above any sort of high flying career.

Im not talking cattle farming and growing my own vegetables here, just somewhere outside of what is considered commuter belt.

South is an option too, but as we want an area where house prices are significantly lower than where we are, im not sure it'd be realistic.

Looking for somewhere with nice coutryside, not too many chavs or that sort of person, but that still has some sort of business district/park where we could both potentially get jobs (im 3rd line support engineer, messaging systems, but could do anything Microsoft IT related really).

So, any ideas? dont want to stray too far oop North because of family in Kent, so a couple hours from Watford would probably do it, or even the West Country? (all I know of the West Country is its legal to marry a sheep).

Anyone know of somewhere that sounds suitable, or should I stop watching reruns of The Good Life?
Old 23 October 2006, 02:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Too far for you, but I moved to West Wales from Oxford and once you get past the sheep ******** jokes, its a great place to live. Actually, Pembrokeshire is considered little England even though its about as west as you can get on the map.

Houses were cheap as chips and still much better than most places. Living standard is pretty high IMO.

I won't be going back.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Grantham? an hour and half on the train, direct line into Kings Cross everyday. Cant go wrong really.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:06 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Most places in North Yorkshire are pretty stunning (especially the Yorkshire Dales)but its probably too far for you ?

I live in Harrogate btw, and love it
Old 23 October 2006, 03:07 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Most places in North Yorkshire are pretty stunning (especially the Yorkshire Dales)but its probably too far for you ?

I live in Harrogate btw, and love it
Old 23 October 2006, 03:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lincoln.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:12 PM
Onan The Barbarian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Middlesbrough's nice

Oh no, wait a minute. No it isn't......ignore me.

Carry on
Old 23 October 2006, 03:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Derbyshire is pleasant enough. Peak district close at hand and about 1hr 40 on the train to St Pancras. If you go for an old mining town, houses are cheap as chips (under £100K for a 2 bed terraced) and both Nottingham and Derby within easy reach for work.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:27 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

We are currently in Domincan Republic which is fantastic but the commute would be a bugger!!
Old 23 October 2006, 03:47 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
should I stop watching reruns of The Good Life?
...which was filmed a lot/a bit in Northwood, which is now more or less a London suburb
Old 23 October 2006, 04:15 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Just south of Coventry is very nice - Warwick etc.
Old 23 October 2006, 04:37 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I live between Reading and Maidenhead... probably one of the most expensive areas in the country but work from home. I'm an idiot. Actually my wife's job keeps us here, otherwise I'd be oop north, west or south-west like a shot. (Not east though )
Old 23 October 2006, 05:02 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

double post....
Old 23 October 2006, 05:03 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Ergo, you think that anyone outside London can't have a high-flying career? Plenty of folk choose to commute a little further (to their low or high flying career), and live in a more rural area. There are lots of great jobs well away from London, especially with your skills. Someone has already suggested Warwick/south Warwickshire area - but with IT skills, you could live almost anywhere in the UK.

Dont think that at all, just thats all London seems to be about, whereas it seems you have the option of choosing a less work orientated existance if you live somewhere where London doesnt even factor.

Warick sounds good, we'll have a good google at that and see what we think.
Old 23 October 2006, 05:06 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

We were in Ealing up until late last year. Now in Stevenage (relocated to different site with same company), have bought a house and loving being away from London and in the countryside where I can DRIVE the Scooby!
Old 23 October 2006, 05:13 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Where in Warwicshire would be recommended? there are lots of areas when looking on Rightmove.
Old 23 October 2006, 05:15 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Swtmerce, Stevenage is a nice distance, is it quite rural? and any recommended areas there?
Old 23 October 2006, 05:16 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Warwick/Rugby/Leamington Spa/Stratford on Avon etc
Old 23 October 2006, 05:37 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Most of the places mentioned are still considered as south (Birmingham and below) You dont want to remain in the south, full of weird people

The north is much friendlier, people are not as arrogant, and you are less likely to be stabbed from someone from Africa/Eastern europe People from the north dont walk around with their head stuck up their own ***** either (like many in the big city, who think they are someone )

As said a couple of posts above, Harrogate and York are very nice

Considered quite rich areas of the north and that obviously comes with being a very nice place to live with low crime statistics! Not many chavs up this end of the wood

Although probably a 3 hr drive down to kent so may be too far north for you

Last edited by Mitchy260; 23 October 2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 23 October 2006, 05:43 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

East Herts/North Essex are nice areas, lovely countryside but close to London and M25/M11/Stansted. I'm a bit biased as I come from East Herts (Ware area) although having said that I now live up in beautiful North Yorkshire which is the dogs

East Herts has good access to larger towns such as Stevenage and Harlow both of which have big industrial and business parks. There are some nice towns around (Ware/Hertford/Bishops Stortford/Sawbridgeworth) and some stunning villages - Much Hadham is beautiful
Old 23 October 2006, 06:02 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Cool, some really good ideas, business parks and the like are a necessity, so now to start pricing up the houses in the far North (okay, its sort of North South Central, but thats North to me, ive always been told never to cross the Thames into the dark North, dangerous place)
Old 23 October 2006, 06:08 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Nice to see there's a few Lincs. Links here. We moved here to Just south of Bourne in South Lincs 2 years ago from Croxley Green in South Herts. Can't understand why we didn't do it sooner.
We have everything here on our doorstep and in some cases, getting tradesmen to do jobs is far quicker than it was within the M25.
We have acres and acres of sky and no matter what that sky is doing, bearing storm clouds or the brightest of blues, we just love it. The people are freindly, they actually smile at you and say 'hello' here.
Good luck with your new lives.
Yve
Old 23 October 2006, 07:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youre afraid of the North; arent you SideShowBob?
Old 23 October 2006, 08:09 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

Move north and you will not regret it

Just don't move to Hull it's **** and it's full of scum but not me
Old 23 October 2006, 08:54 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Swtmerce, Stevenage is a nice distance, is it quite rural? and any recommended areas there?
Stevenage is 35 mins mainline to Kings Cross (if you need to work in London). Stevenage is a town but the surrounding area is very rural. Beautiful olde villages/hamlets like Walkern, Codicote and Cromer. However you'll pay a premium to live in these cute villages.

I rented in Ware for a while (very nice larger village with a river) but when it came to buy Ware was too expensive. Stevenage itself has the nice Old Town part, and the new build Great Ashby area. The rest of Stevenage is 60's ex-council houses and 80's private builds.
Old 23 October 2006, 09:13 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Don't go north - go west! (there's a song in there somewhere....)

You'll have to go west of the Bath area for cheaper housing, but there is quite a few industrial parks springing up all over the South West, and as most of the people there just think about ******** thier cousin all day, you should do well in the jobs department.

Lived in the South West and the North of England, and I'd say the former is by far the best option. Stunning scenery, pretty difficult to live too far from the coast, great people (in general, there are sh1tty areas of course but where aren't there?).

The only thing the South West lacks is any race tracks, Castle Combe is nearest but they have some really strict noise regs. If that's not an issue then I'd suggest look seriously SW!
Old 24 October 2006, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Rutland is a beautiful spot but it might be a bit pricey these days.

Les
Old 24 October 2006, 12:45 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

As Les says.... yes its gorgeous. But Oakham is getting quite hooray Henry nowadays.
Yve
Old 24 October 2006, 12:51 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Henley, out that way is nice. I visit Stonor park in my VW every year and always think its nice and wouldnt mind moving. I never do anything about it
Old 24 October 2006, 12:54 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
although having said that I now live up in beautiful North Yorkshire which is the dogs

Agreed!

West/North border like me!

Quick Reply: Ideas for moving further oop North...