Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good spot!
Old 16 October 2006, 06:43 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be weaving from lane to lane from now on

doubt it works on the M42, as they have specs on each lane, or does it have count if one camera in lane 3 clocks the start of your excessive speed, but lane 1 camera records the final average??
Old 16 October 2006, 06:43 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I can just see it, zig zagging cars on specs section of motorways, thats really going to upset the middle lane driver

think ill try it next time im on one of these sections
Old 16 October 2006, 06:46 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

From the understanding I read the home office approval only works for one camera, one lane, so lane hopping here we come. Saying that I always try to move to the inside lane when ever there is a gap, so im doing it already and didnt realise
Old 16 October 2006, 07:48 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So who's gonna test the theory? Whoever does, let us know the outcome!!

Oh and don't try it on single carriage ways!!!
Old 16 October 2006, 08:45 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

There is loads of them in notts all on double lanes but only single cameras each side...
Old 16 October 2006, 08:47 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Although there is some on the a52 when its single lane
Old 17 October 2006, 07:55 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21

Although most SPECS are on sections of M-way with roadworks/40mph limits where they are a very good idea.
Not in most cases IMHO - roadworks protected by thick concrete barriers and no-one working at all most of the time.

I agree it may be useful when there's a workforce to protect, but for what seems like 99% of the time it's a joke having a 40mph limit.
Old 17 October 2006, 08:15 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There are only 2 cameras on the M1 road works but there are 4 lanes at some points...

F
Old 17 October 2006, 08:31 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Although most SPECS are on sections of M-way with roadworks/40mph limits where they are a very good idea.
Nottingham (A610 in particular) is rife with them, they are also installing them on the A46 between the Melton Junction and Newark.
Old 17 October 2006, 09:24 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Does any of the GPS detectors have the pairings listed so people know when to change lane? Might minimise the havoc that will soon happen. Are they a fixed distance (roughly ) apart?

2 articles in the Mail that are useful in less than a week? Stunned.
Old 17 October 2006, 09:38 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've always wondered this as the ones in Northampton look like they're aimed at the 'fast' lane.
Obviously never dared to check it though!
Old 17 October 2006, 11:08 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

Not a very good idea in my book. I regularly have to use the M1 J6-10 and it's a proper pain in the ****. As mentioned earlier, there are barriers thick and high which seperate traffic from the 'workforce'. Barriers which are substantially better than what was there before. And since when was 40 the new roadworks speed limit? I seem to remember it was 50 mph not so long ago. You'd be doing well to spot a worker in the first place.

In fact a 40 mph limit at night is extrememly dangerous as attention spans rapidly go downhill through sheer boredom at travelling at 40 mph when there's no other traffic about. Try commuting home at 4am and giving a thumbs up to speed cameras
Old 17 October 2006, 11:44 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Be very careful as SPECS are being advanced. It is correct that they can only spot in one lane but they can also be set to spot in a different lane. They are fixed but they could be set to a middle entry and a fast lane exit.

Just don't try a dare them....

Roo
Old 17 October 2006, 11:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Roo
Be very careful as SPECS are being advanced. It is correct that they can only spot in one lane but they can also be set to spot in a different lane. They are fixed but they could be set to a middle entry and a fast lane exit.

Just don't try a dare them....

Roo
None of that is the issue, it's to do with the type approval, despite what they can do from a technology point of view, in law, they have only been approved for use with vehicles in the same lane on entry and exit.
But, under Home Office rules governing the camera equipment, prosecutions are only valid if a driver is filmed in the same lane at the start and finish of each section by a linked pair of cameras.
But under Home Office 'type approval' rules, each individual set cannot be linked to any of the others. So cars are timed only between sets of number plate readers 'paired' for the same lane.

Last edited by OllyK; 17 October 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:32 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

bingo have to try that out on the A2 in the mornings
Old 17 October 2006, 01:32 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Would it work over multiple lanes and over mulitple cameras?
Heres my theory,
You go under the first camera in lane one
You change to lane two
You go under the first camera in lane two
You change to lane three
You go under the first camera in lane three
You change back to lane one.

would you not be caught by the camera in lane one which registered your details when you passed under it?

Or is it that cameras are "paired" so they have the first and the second in lane one, then they go onto a new pair and you can only get caught if a pair catch you, not a camera 5 miles down the road, but in the same lane.
Anyone shead any light?
astraboy.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:44 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick close to a lorry so it can't read the plate

F
Old 17 October 2006, 01:45 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drive around without a front plate! Can't be that many plod left on the roads to pull you over!
Old 17 October 2006, 02:51 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Would it work over multiple lanes and over mulitple cameras?

Or is it that cameras are "paired"
Jeez, this is the second time I've had to post this in two days. Why not read the article before asking questions? OllyK has quoted the relevant part, both cameras must film you in the same lane, and prosecutions must be via a linked pair of cameras. There can only be two cameras in a linked pair, so the fact that you're subsequently spotted in the same lane by a third or subsequent camera is irrelevant.
Old 17 October 2006, 05:30 PM
N1gel 1970
Scooby Regular

just don't bother registering your car
Old 17 October 2006, 08:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
Jeez, this is the second time I've had to post this in two days. Why not read the article before asking questions? OllyK has quoted the relevant part, both cameras must film you in the same lane, and prosecutions must be via a linked pair of cameras. There can only be two cameras in a linked pair, so the fact that you're subsequently spotted in the same lane by a third or subsequent camera is irrelevant.
Thanks for explaining it.
Here's a present for your trouble.

astraboy.
Old 18 October 2006, 09:21 AM
RayC
Scooby Regular

i read this some time ago, if one of the cameras misses your plate it wont activate either, slipping in behind a big truck usually does it, more from a bucking the sytem point of veiw really, my own little rebelion, its not worth speeding in the road works anyway
Old 18 October 2006, 09:39 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Having known people who have been hit by cars or debris thrown up by cars while they were working on Motorway works and been seriously injured I think anything that makes traffic slow down is a great idea. Ok, workers are not always there but a lot of the time they are and having traffic flying by at high speed is extremely dangerous to them. Bear in mind that the lanes are narrow too compared to normal M-way lanes.

In my opinion exceeding the speed limit in road works is as bad as doing so in a village/built up area with a 30 limit.
If people were actually working on the roadworks I'd agree, but when you get a 10 mile stretch on the M1 with 1 guy leaning on a shovel 4 miles in to it and nothing else, it does pi$$ you off.
Old 18 October 2006, 12:19 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes it can be annoyign but it's the same thing as saying "There's not always kids in front of schools" or "There's not always people around the village green/village high street/shopping centre" etc...

If anyone came on here and said "I drive through villages, past schools, through densely populated housing estates at 60mph but it's ok because it's not school home time or it's the middle of the night" then they would get massively abused by the Snet massive.
No it isn't, unless you have a school zone near you that extends for 10 miles with only one school in it?

Quick Reply: SPECS Loophole?