Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving back to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2006, 01:20 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving back to the UK

Im toying with the idea of moving back to England after spending the last 13 years of my life in Germany.

The basic idea is to move to Brighton or Dorchester where i have family and join the Police Force. My father is a copper and i talked with him over this subject, but hes my dad so of course he thinks its great and wants me to do it asap. I know what to expect in terms of training and doing this as a daily job though having various conversations with my father and im only 31 so ive got plenty of time to sort stuff out but i have a gut feeling thats telling me to go ahead and think of myself for once.

What makes it a little more difficult is that im divorced with two young children, 6 and 9 years old which would cause problems being only able to see the during school holidays. Over here basicly a divorced man is screwed, i work 12-15 hours a day for a pretty good wage, but at the end of the day after paying for everthing it isnt really enough to live on.

I would really like to hear from others that arnt related to myself to find out just what its like to live and work in the Uk, i moved away as i was 18 to Germany with the Army, i know the Military background would be useful but i have absolutly no idea of the British economy any longer or what its like to live and work in the UK, ie is it good or bad?.

Germany is different to the UK, its alot harder for a normal worker to buy property etc, so i have no morgage, yes i have debts due to my divorce but i could get that sorted. My Fiance thinks its a good idea too and she´s willing to make the move, she speaks good English and is a trained cook, so getting a job should be difficult for her either.

im just a little unsure if its worth making the move, yes im a British National but living over here for so long has taken its toll on me, my english spelling and puntuation isnt as good as it was . and obviously this needs to be brushed up on if i decide to make the move.

So is it worth trying
Thankyou for any help
Lee

Last edited by Lee_1075; 10 October 2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10 October 2006, 01:47 PM
Vapid
BANNED

You made it in Germany, you'll be able to make it back in the UK. As you're aware things have changed, mostly for the worse. Crime is rampant and people's attitudes are worse than they've ever been.
I doubt you'll be able to afford a decent place to live earning a Policeman's salary is the main problem. A simple one bed flat in Brighton is going to cost you £200K.
Good luck but rather you than me, I'm never returning to the UK, quite simply it's a cesspit compared to much of Europe.
Old 10 October 2006, 01:53 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Depends where in England you live. There's good and bad in any country. I wish you well. As said above , if you can hack in Germany, you can succeed over here. Yes it's changed, not for the better generally, but then, hasn't everywhere in the world?
I'd reckon economically, we are getting level with the likes of our German counterparts. Basically, if you want it, you have to work for it, and work hard.
Yve. Good luck
Old 10 October 2006, 01:59 PM
Vapid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Apparition
Basically, if you want it, you have to work for it, and work hard.
Yve. Good luck
That's utter bull****. I know plenty of people who work hard and earn nothing. Similarly I know plenty of people who lucked out through birth, going to the right school or just plain cheated their way to a life of ease.
Those type of cliches about hard work are just a sop to make the proles grub away that bit harder chasing a pipe dream.
Old 10 October 2006, 02:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

There was a thread in the last few weeks about joining the police so might be worth searching and having a look through. Quite a lot of anti-police bull**** posted but also some useful comments from real live plod. You can check UK house and rent prices on the web. If you are both fluent German speakers then you could make some handy pocket money by tutoring. Cooks are not so well paid relatively.
Old 10 October 2006, 02:13 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Thakyou for the comments so far, yes we are both fluent German speakers, well the misses is German.
Old 10 October 2006, 02:13 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Double post
Old 10 October 2006, 04:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Don't do it

EMigration FROM the UK isn't at an all-time high for nowt

Alcazar
Old 10 October 2006, 06:20 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee_1075
Im toying with the idea of moving back to England after spending the last 13 years of my life in Germany.

If you need to leave Germany becuase you are being shafted by the system, why not consider another Euro country?

Silly question perhaps, but how about Austria so that you can still use your language skills???
Old 10 October 2006, 06:29 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I think the main concern for me is the moving away from your children part.

Is there no way you can stay there? If it's a money issue, I'm not sure you're going to get on any better here. And really, it's not that great here to justify the expense.
Old 10 October 2006, 07:18 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt recommend coming back TBH, as has been said try Austria / Switzerland
Old 10 October 2006, 07:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Can't you just feel the warm welcome
Old 10 October 2006, 07:34 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As some said. People leaving the UK are now at an all time high, I heard 360,000 each year?. There is a reason for this.

e.g I bloke I met the other day. He and his family Dorset dairy farmers for generations. Cant stand it any more - moving to New Zealand in a few weeks.
He was a real nice bloke too.

THIS IS NOT A ONE OFF - THIS IS HAPPENING ALL OVER THE UK. It tends to be the more decent salt of the earth types that seem to be moving. Judging by who I have met. Exactly the kind of people the country needs to hang on to!
Old 10 October 2006, 07:36 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Ask me after January. I am moving back to the UK from Germany with my German missus with the forces. (Been out here 6 years)

To be honest I didn't want to go back, but I'm warming to the idea now.
The situation in the UK is not much different to Germany, where crime and scumbags are concerned, but then i've always avoided any attention from the criminal classes anyway.
Finding lower skilled jobs should be alot easier in the UK. I know that you need an apprenticship to do anything in Germany. Even a Florist!
I would suggest getting any German quals that you or your wife have, translated into english. It costs about 20 Euro per document, and some skills are transferable into UK NVQ's etc.
The main thing is that you will swap the Russian maffia and the Turk yoofs, for Muslim fundamentalists and Chavs.
You pays your money. You takes your choice.
Old 10 October 2006, 07:41 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
Finding lower skilled jobs should be alot easier in the UK. I know that you need an apprenticship to do anything in Germany. Even a Florist!
Agree another one of the down points for Germany. They are a lot more **** about employment. Moving jobs, qualifications etc.

Steve
Old 10 October 2006, 09:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 555rob555
Finding lower skilled jobs should be alot easier in the UK.
Disagree.

Most of the lower paid jobs in the UK are now being done by Poles, Lithuanians, Latvians, Ukrainians et al for 35 an hour, WITH qualifications!!

Alcazar
Old 11 October 2006, 02:49 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Thankyou for all you awnsers so far. Like i said im only toying with the idea at the minute, it has nothing to do with being screwed by the German System or being underpaid,im on just over 2000 Euros per month after tax which is pretty good for the job i do, but ive been here 13 years now and Germany is nowhere near to as good as it was, and its getting worse every year.
I currently work for a International company, their HQ is here in my Town (Duisburg), but the have Major outlets all over the world, they deal with the worldwide logistics for McDonalds. (Alpha Group/WLS). So i could just ask for a transfer to anywhere where they are based if i wanted too. But im after a total change really. I would have thought that being a police officer in the UK was a good paid and safe Job (ment in turms of redundecy).

My main worry is my Children, but also the fact of not knowing what would await me in the UK, being that i have been away for so long.

@ Steve & Rob, i know exactly whats its like in Germany, believe me alot of Germans have had enough too and are moving away for good. All my qualifications are British anyway translated into German (im X British Army), the Misses is German though and even she´s had enough.

I know Brighton is a expensive place to live as the majority of my family live near there aswell as some living in Dorchester. I went back too the UK for a 3 week holiday last year, and yep you guys are correct it was well expensive, infact the 3 weeks all most cost me 2 months wages without paying for a place to stay at, but im sure the British Workers get paid more than their German counterparts dont they ???.

lol, at the Russian Mafia & Türks v Chavs & Musilm fundamentalists comment.
Thats also correct, evey German has gone though a 3 year ""Ausbildung" to learn their Job correctly. Unfortunatly alot of the stuff i learnt in the Military, Supply Controller & PTI isnt recognised over here and i would have had to retake all the exams in German, this wouldnt be a problem now but it was when i moved into the German system all those years ago. If i wanted to do that now id be in the same boot, but having to start from scratch, and i cant be bothered doing that and earning a lousey 500 - 700 Euros per month for the First 3 Years.

As for Austria, no too much snow for me. I think i am at the point were im missing my "Home Country" really, but there are so many factors that im unsure about.
Old 11 October 2006, 06:28 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I haved lived in the USA for the last year, I am currently a volunteer paramedic driver, and am starting paramedic classes in the next two weeks. I'm seeing lots of things that I've never seen before, and it's been a drastic change of lifestyle, culture and career (and earnings! Volunteer = 0 )

I was really missing London after about a month, and went home in the summer after six months in Texas. After a week in London, I was ready to come "home" to the USA, which surprised me greatly.

Only you can make the right decision, and at the end of the day you can always change your mind at any point.

As far as I am aware, Police on average start around twenty six to twenty eight thousand pounds, so you won't be earning much more than you do, by the sound of it.

Basically, I would just follow your gut / heart / instinct, as everything else always has a way of working itself out............

If it wasn't for your kids I would suggest Australia, who are crying out for all sorts of skilled workers.........
Old 12 October 2006, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You might think Germany is getting worse , but you would do well to look at what is really happening over here these days. So many people now actively considering moving abroad now.

The police might sound a good job, but it has now become a politicised organisation led by PC Plonkers who are far more concerned with their own self aggrandisment rather that the importance of the job for its own sake.

Les