Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 08:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

Anybody got an X-Box yet?

I'm off to the States, and wondered if it's worth picking one up.

Steve.
Old 18 November 2001, 08:14 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most stores in the USA have sold out of the initial shipments. However they should have some in the next week or two.

I'm checking with a friend of mine ( who's a program manager for the Xbox Race and Rally games) as to whether the USA (NTSC) systems are compatible with PAL tv systems.I should have an answer next week.

Richard
Old 18 November 2001, 08:19 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I would be interested if there is any kind of region lock as with other consoles.

Most TV's will accept an NTSC input through the RGB connectors, as my Japanese PS2 happily works on my TV.

Steve.
Old 18 November 2001, 09:15 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

i played an x-box when i was away on holiday in the states in toys-r-us.... it ws quite good, played some odd-ball demo game thing, and had rolling demos of shrek and other titles.... looked good... but then well, i think the nintendo cube is better!! but then looking at wrc on the psx2 might get myself one of those, if i can find one cheap that is
Old 20 November 2001, 12:22 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

This is the reply that I got

"You’ve got to make sure you run the correct power into the box though. The dev kits have a 110/220 switch on them and it’s CRITICAL to have it set correctly. My devs learned this the hard way"

Seems that they should run okay either through a NTSC capable VCR or through the RGB connectors. He didn't mention any region lock.

Richard

edit * It seems that the retail boxes here in the states are only 110 volts not switchable

[Edited by rsquire - 11/20/2001 6:05:31 AM]
Old 20 November 2001, 02:48 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

We should have one in the office by Friday, we'll have five games with it as well. Halo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham, Munch oddessy and Nascar. Can't wait Halo got 97% on one online site.

Must admit I have been dissapointed with the look of a lot of the games coming out. But I know for a fact that a lot of games on the X-box will make the PS2 and Game cube look very dated. Played GT3 again the other day and it really does look a bit crap now.
Old 20 November 2001, 03:34 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I really dont see how you can say that gt3 looks a bit crap now????.......what have you seen that is better????.......and from what i have seen on the x-box.....it doesnt look anything special "yet".
Also from what i have heard.......it hasnt been selling to good in the states.......i know a few people who have one.....and they are quite dissapointed......it doesnt help of course that Metal gear solid 2 has just been released over there..........and tony hawk 3........devil may cry etc etc....
The battle of the consoles imo is between ps2 and gc......fact.
Old 20 November 2001, 03:42 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its all in the GAMES.......
Old 20 November 2001, 03:54 PM
Ellis4779
Scooby Regular

u wanna try gta3 on the PS2..

It's out of this world!!

Pete
Old 20 November 2001, 04:00 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

I know that's the worrying thing. PS2 and Game cube will probably win. People moan about the fact that the X-box is big and all that but the FACT is, is that the X-box really is so much more powerful then the PS2 and game cube and I'm not just saying that from reading some stats in a magazine. I should know I work for a company developing games on all three consoles. And believe me when I say GT3 really is looking dated. When I first saw GT3 I thought wow it looks almost real. It's only after working on the xbox and then looking back at GT3 that you realise that GT3 looks like a nice computer game and no where near real life. The PS2 is already at it's limit and Sony have admitted that it's not all that. I'd be very suprised if you see anything better then GT3 or MGS2 on the PS2. Just think though, Xbox has only just come out and some of the games on it already make the PS2 look a bit sh*t. Just think what the games will look like in a years time. It would be nice if Polyphony move over to Xbox the GT3 really would look good.
Old 20 November 2001, 04:00 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Shaolin,

Pete works in the gaming industry, so it's not like he is a normal game playing shmoe.... I bought a PS2 recently, despite never being happy with the cut down hardware spec from what they had originally stated before release. I got it with GT3 'a' spec, plugged it into a 51" widescreen and was pretty dissapointed with what came out. Went straight back. I dont like graphics looking they are software generated and not hardware accelerated, looks messy. Still a completely different beast to the PS1, but still doesn't cut it IMO.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited to say post severely dalayed due to pants BT ADSL syndrome!

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 20/11/2001 16:02:10]
Old 20 November 2001, 04:16 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Ellis, we've got GTA3, and I've got to agree, wicked game.

I'm not saying that you can't get good games on the PS2, all I'm saying is that people think that the Xbox has nothing over it, and I know for a fact that it really is the next leap, ask any developer and they will tell you the same. And guess what GTA3 is coming out on the Xbox as well. Ok I know it sounds like I'm kissing Bill gate's **** here but the only reason why I'm so up for the Xbox is because I've worked on PS2 and some of my collegues are woring on game cube. I'm woring on the Xbox now and I really don't want to go back to making crap graphics. Put it this way going from a PS2 to making games on the XBox was like going from a Morris Minor to a Scooby, it really is a whole new ball game.
Old 20 November 2001, 04:16 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Im sorry Pete, but for someone who works in the gaming industry......where do you get your facts from???.......the ps2 so far has used about 50% - 65% of its potential.........remember what the first ps games looked like and look at the latest ps games.......a massive massive difference.......
And where in the world is the gaming industry biggest????.........Japan........and from what i have heard and seen.......they dont seem to impressed........they like ps2 and gc to much for x-box to even stand a chance........(although i am not sure what the japanese game companies are thinking).....
I know the x-box is powerful.......but power is nothing.......its games that sell consoles......and by far the best games that are out and in development.......are for ps2 and gc........x-box just has ALOT of work to do.........but hey...when you get one.......let me know what you think of it!!!.....(sorry if you have got one!....couldnt remember if you said you had one or not)....
Like i have said before.......all this competition is all the better for the people that matter (us gamers).....games are gonna get better and better......
Old 20 November 2001, 04:46 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

On the subject of spec, the X-Box seems not to be as well endowed as was promised and the early GC titles (like Picmen) look better than anything I've yet to see on X-Box (IMHO of course!).
The main thing is that they all push each other to improve the gaming experience for us lot though!

Deano
Old 20 November 2001, 04:56 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Pete,

With all respect I think you're talking bollox about Gotham vs. GT3. I've seen Gotham running now and the graphics are still not as good as GT3 - car models, lighting models. Gotham will be lucky to sell a 10th of GT3's units.

Your average console owner doesn't give a toss that the X-Box is marginally faster than the rest. They want to see great games like Metal Gear Solid 2, GT3, GoldenEye, etc...

X-Box blew it the moment the key Japanese developers didn't show any interest in writing for it.

Old 20 November 2001, 04:58 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

DAZ-V......you know the bobby moore!!!.........true....
Old 20 November 2001, 05:06 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Smile

I've seen some of the demos for Xbox and I must say they do not impress. OK, the box may be more powerful than PS2 or GC, but it'not the same leap as from PS1 to PS2, so I doubt gamers will rush to ditch PS2 or GC in favour of Xbox. Xbox is just the most competent of this generation of consoles, it ain't the next generation.

People will buy the one that offers them the greatest choice of games, and Xbox does not look likely to be that, IMO

Geezer
Old 20 November 2001, 05:20 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

The PS1 was an amazing piece of kit when it came out it really blew anything away including PC's, it had massive amount of potential. When the PS2 came out it was already out of date compared to PC's. Put it this way the Dreamcast had more memory dedicated to graphics then the PS2. As for the PS2 using just 50% of power so far, hmmmm ask any of our programmers and I think you'll get a different answer. And as for Japanese companies not developing for the XBox try Tecmo, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Namco to name just a few.
Japanese people don't like the XBox because it's to big.
When did I mention that Gotham was better then GT3?

Unfortuantly you probably are right that PS2 and GC will win, it will just be a shame because it will hold us back a few years.
Old 20 November 2001, 05:30 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Just give you lot my 2 pennaths worth.

As some on here know, I'm abit of a gaming freak and always get suckered into buying every new console on import that comes out....basically cause I just like to have the latest.

My views have changed considerably on the Xbox in the past few months.

I have a Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, GBA and should soon be taking delivery of my Xbox.

IMHO the PS2 has fallen bigtime. It has been out for 2yrs and has ONE AAA title worthy of mentioning, and that's GT3. As far as i'm concerned that is absolutley awefull for a game machine that has been out for soooooo long. I know a couple of AAA title's are in the working, but considering the Dreamcast was axed because of money losses, I think it was a MUCH BETTER console as the games were/are awesome.........saying that I can't wait for VF4 on the PS2. Looking at WRC for the Playstation substanciates my reasoning as I have played the demo, and it is awefull. How can a game that should of used the same graphic engine as GT3 (but obviously hasn't), look so crap. The car control is just absolutley abissmal.

The Gamecube may not have the support of the PS2 or Xbox, but the games are absolutely awesome. The playability is **** on and for launch titles the graphics are outstanding. This will undoubtadley be a hit in USA.

After seeing alot of footage from satellite Tv and a promo video, I must conclude now that the Xbox will kick ***. Anybody that is brave enough to think that anything marketed by Microsoft will not triumph is very brave IMHO. We are talking about a easy platform to program for, that will be used by all the existing PC games developers and the more traditional console developers. Lets face it the third party support for this console is immense. This coupled with it's superior power (anyone seen DOA3 running, it is the best thing i've ever seen), will make it a sure fire winner.

I have ALWAYS stated that the PS2 has ALWAYS been overhyped, the quality of it's software now is a thorn in it's side. The problem of coding for it has/will plague it until it dies.

Shaun.

P.S. The USA machine will work on any NTSC enabled TV and the console will run on our POWER as long as a stepdown is used.
Old 20 November 2001, 05:42 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Totally agree the two consoles I'd like to see for the next few years are the Xbox and GC. I've got a PS2, got it when it first came out, but I really hope it disappears as soon as possible. It's the weakest machine and really doesn't deserve the status it's got. The sooner that machine goes the better.
Old 20 November 2001, 06:14 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

A big problem for X-Box is user perception. Someone buying a PS2 or GC knows they are getting the latest Sony/Nintendo product, whereas on release the main components of X-Box (CPU & video) were already out of date - the fact that it's more powerful than the other two won't come into it. Most PCs are more powerful but this hasn't turned the PC into the sole mass market gaming platform despite the popularity of multiplayer FPS and strategy games. PC gamers will probably have a console as well, but why an X-Box if their desktop is already more powerful and has the same games (if conversion is as easy as claimed)? Kids will go with what they know, which will probably be Sony & Nintendo so it's gonna be hard for X-Box, but I guess if anyone has the resources to do it, it's Microsoft!

I got a PS2 on the basis of a couple of games I particularly wanted and I think GC will be the same in my case. I'll probably get an X-Box eventually, but I can't see any reason to rush out and get one right now.

All the best,

Deano
Old 20 November 2001, 06:55 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Agree with you on PS2, but the X-Box doesn't have key developers writing for it. With all respect, you're not going to see the same quality of games appear on it or should I say the same volume of quality games as other systems.

The PC could happily nail Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo, and other console games, but there's no quality developers writing for it, so you don't get that sort of quality for it - just the usual crap like Quake and Unreal and Soldier of Fortune.

I honestly think the X-Box is a nice bit of kit, but will swim in a sea of mediocre games.

By the way, I think your talking bollox when you say Gotham's graphics are better than GT3. The X-Box may be more powerful but Gotham's 3D & Lighting models aren't a patch on GT3.

-DV

PS: Saw your game on TV the other day - nothing new to the party but nice job anyways. X-Box gets is first bike game if you like.
Old 20 November 2001, 08:53 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Daz,

Seriously mate, but I think you need to take your PS2 rose tinted glasses off.

"I honestly think the X-Box is a nice bit of kit, but will swim in a sea of mediocre games."

So what is the PS2 swimming in??? You can't surely tell me that there are a number of non medeocre games for the PS2, cause I can't find em.

Quite frankly the PS1 has better games available for it.

And as for the X-Box not having any major big name developers, so are people like EA, CAPCOM, SEGA, THQ & RARE not big enough?? Like I said the third party support for the XBOX is immense.

I DID think the XBOX was another PS2, but I have now changed my mind since seeing the machine run in realtime and the games lineup. DONT listen to all the crap stories floating around the internet.

Shaun.

Old 20 November 2001, 09:11 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

well i have the pleasure of owning psx2 and gamecube and have seen the xbox running (was offered the chance to manage europes localisation testing for xbox but the pay was pants).

I can honestly the machine that has impressed me the most SO FAR (bearing in mind i've yet to actually play on the xbox) is the gamecube.

The games are cracking and considering its age against the competition ( meaning psx2) its games are head and shoulders above psx2.
Personally i cant wait to get hold of rogue leader on the cube as that looks stunning.

The only slight worry i have about xbox is if pc technology advances as fast as it has the technology in the xbox wil be caught and surpassed fairly quickly UNLESS mr gates has a certain grphics card and cpu companies on his payroll so they slow things down a tad.

I know the xbox graphics card has elements that will turn into geforce 4 which isnt out, but geforce 3's are already down to £150 that says to me 4 isnt far away.

As for lack of developers on xbox, last time i looked the list was about 4 times bigger than those working on psx2 titles, the most notable exception tho being japanese software houses.

I have a friend who works in Scotland for a games co, and they are struggling and hitting limits on the station 2 already.
Old 20 November 2001, 11:09 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Its not about the hardware - its about the people developing for a platform.

The X-Box will suffer lots and lots of crappy PC ports from the unimaginative US developers who churn out Quake 1,2,3,4,5,6 Unreal 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 Soldier Of Fortune, Nobody Lives Forever - we're sick of all that crap.

The Japanese boys and Rare write the best stuff (sorry Pete but its true). The PC has been in a position to run better games than GT3, than Metal Gear Solid 2, etc... but you don't see them because nobody of any quality writes games for the PC (or X-Box) with the odd exception.

The X-Box will just continue the PC trend - easy to program, lazy C++ programmers, writing dross and TONS of it.

Go GameCube baybee!

-DV
Old 20 November 2001, 11:15 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

I know what you mean - PS2 does suffer from mediocre stuff, but the X-Box is easy to develope for in comparison and will suffer a DELUGE of crap.

What are RARE developing for X-Box ?
EA write crap stuff, licence big-names, and sell a boatload - its soooo sad.

Oops - if some of my posts seem a little repetitive I apologise - I thought my browser had hung each time I tried to post and didn't realise they'd acutally posted.

-DV

[Edited by DazV - 20/11/2001 23:22:27]
Old 21 November 2001, 12:16 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Daz,

That was my fear before I delved into the games that are coming out for the XBox. I can see the Gamecube having the most involved and new games coming out (albeit of low quantity), but I can't help feeling let down by Sony. It seems to me that the company has rode on the back of the PS and never taken that extra step required to make it to the next gen.

It has been stated before, that no hardware manufacturer has ever ruled the roost on two consecutive generations of hardware. If Sony thought they could, then I think they are very foolish for thinking it was going to happen so easily.

I should be getting Rogue Leader shortly.

Old 21 November 2001, 01:12 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

Yeah, Sony are now going thru what Nintendo went through with the N64 - 2nd generation machine, new technology and noted by developers to be hard to develope for.

None of the stuff I've seen on X-Box gives me a boner. I just can't see where the 'AAA' titles will come from, unless their ports of other games from other platforms.

What would you list as your most anticipated games on X-Box ?

-DV
Old 21 November 2001, 07:07 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

What would you list as your most anticipated games on X-Box ?
For me it's this one

http://www.xbox.com/rallisportchallenge/default.htm?cs_catalog=cat%2Dus

Due in Spring 2002

Richard

Old 21 November 2001, 07:54 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

halo on the xbox is the only title that really appeals to me me.

But then again i am an fps junkie.

It will also be interesting to see if xbox can bridge that gap between consoles and pc gaming, I hope it does as it'll prove very interesting.

console games - easy to pick up, majority feel 'arcadey', linear, ability to start the machine and have quick 5 min blast before the wife drags you off.
pc games - gnerally harder, more depth, longer playing life (still playing Unreal tournament etc now, havent played a console game that i return to on a weekly basis anywhere near the age of this title)