Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 03:44 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got any good tips on how to spruce up a C.V. without making it sound to woolly?

Nath
Old 18 November 2001, 04:32 PM
Jenz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Nath

I see a lot of CVs especially from graduates and after a while they all seem to be the same. Hope this advice helps and does not sound too much like a lecture!!

Sometimes it comes down to whether or not I can read the hand writing, whether I can understand the exam marking systems and whether I might like to work with that person.

I would say for your 'interests' dont just write a list of your hobbies, but say why you like doing them (and how often), who you do them with (your mates, as part of club etc, are your hobbies expensive, do you need to save). You need a bit of personality to come out.

For your skills -such as 'good at communication', specify whether this is written communication, presentations, working as a team, listening to colleages, or getting your point across succintly etc.

For course work include any exam marks (especially if they are good ones). Put previous jobs into perspective, giving less description about a job that you did for a short while (but highlight important things you did at any job).

Good luck, Jen
Old 18 November 2001, 05:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I asked a similar question not long since, try lifeoutlined.co.uk
Good luck

Bob

[Edited by BOB.T - 11/18/2001 5:53:23 PM]
Old 18 November 2001, 06:05 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Nath,

I have always prepared a cv for a specific job. Basically, I read the job description and the person spec which hopefully you will get with the vacancy, and then make sure I can highlight that I can meet each specific task or quality that they specify from my previous job experience. If I have never done the skills in my career, then I will attempt to show how my life experience or voluntary work may help.
I have done job selection and interviewing before, make sure you put your skills down, even if they seem too obvious to you.
Hope this helps,
Amanda
Old 18 November 2001, 07:54 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys/gals.

I was thinking about having one professional made up as the one that I have does'nt really justify my previous experience and qualifications...Would this be worth looking in to? I keep looking at ways to improve it whilst trying to keep it short and sweet, but i guess I have'nt really got my thinking head back on yet

Nath
Old 18 November 2001, 10:02 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

make sure the CV relates your skills / experiences to the job you are applying for.

seen to many that tell me what someone did n years ago and its got no relevance to the job i've got available !

personal statement section of a job application form / cv is the vital bit.

prospective employer looking here to see how you come across - and all in a few paragraphs. anyone can recite exmas grades etc. but wot are u actually like and how good are you at 'selling' yourself.
Old 18 November 2001, 10:25 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

For what it's worth here are my ideas:

My background is banking and IT (been doing IT for nearly 10 years now). I've seen a lot of CVs and interviewed a fair few people as well. When we were recruiting contractors we would often see 60 or 70 CVs. Based on this, the most important thing is keep it short and sharp - when I was recruiting anything looking vaguely like an essay was binned without reading it - the guy may have been good, but I haven't got the time...

1) Biggest rule to remember is that CVs do not get you jobs - you as an individual will get the job. The only purpose of a CV is to get your foot in the door (i.e. get an interview) - how you sell yourself at the interview will dictate if you get the job or not.

2) Don't waste your money on professionals to write your CV for you - it is not difficult - you can get loads of books on the subject if you so wish. Mine was based on a small book bought years ago and I haven't changed the format significantly over the years.

3) Layout is important and make sure it is properly printed on decent quality paper - not handwritten - remember it is a sales document.

4) If you can, keep the entire CV to 2 sides of A4 - not easy! Bear in mind that my CV contains all my details - jobs, education, skills etc and it is still less than 2 sides.

5) List things in order of importance - start with your personal details, contact numbers and address etc Below that list out (say five or six bullet points) key information or skills that might help with the job you are going for. Always use positive terms - i.e. 'organising', 'managing', 'responsible for' etc etc - Never forget that a CV is a sales document - you are selling yourself, so don't be afraid to higlight things you are proud of - just don't go over the top.

6) On the second page, list your employment history with brief details of the jobs you've had (no more than a couple of sentances). Below that, list your education and below that any other relevant details - i.e interests etc.

7) (Pet hate of mine this) Don't include the term CV as a heading - everybody knows what it is!! - just put your name clearly at the top.

8) Do not let agencies re-write them - they make a pigs ear of it and it isn't unheard of for information to be tampered with to make it more 'interesting'

9) Don't lie - employers aren't stupid and be prepared to chat about the things that you have written about on your CV.

More than happy to email you a copy of mine for you to have a look at the layout - let me know.

Cheers
Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 11/18/2001 10:30:46 PM]
Old 19 November 2001, 01:20 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Nath,

I have a standard CV that get updated every couple of years. I don't think there is a need to have various versions depending on the job you want as long as the CV contains all the relevant info. about your training and background.

Use your humble PC to write it, not handwritten, and also prepare a template cover letter that can be re-worded easily depending on the job on offer. The Cover Letter is the first impression and you can word that so that even if you "have sheered sheep" you can say "I believe this experience is relevant to IT because..." or whatever, you get meaning.

Another thing i've found to work, when you print out the CV (personally i used the full name, not CV) and cover letter don't use white paper. I tend to use a yellowish one. Imagine the person who is reading all these applications, he has a pile of paper a foot high and the one he spots from 5 feet away is the only one that is not white Don't use blue, makes it look like cheap Airmail stuff.

Hope is helps,
bss
Old 19 November 2001, 07:10 AM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Nath,

It depends what sort of job you're going for. I only have experience of applying for jobs in the NHS. There we are told NOT to send in a general CV, and have to fill in a seperate application form for each job.
They try to maintain an equal opportunities policy and would never throw away any cvs!! Other details such as age, sex name, address are often witheld at personnel, again to avoid discrimination in at least the selection for interview stage.
Slant it towards what you can give TO them, rather than what you can get from them. Show you understand what their particular job entails.

Good luck
Old 19 November 2001, 10:36 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, if you deal with an agency, they are going to chop bits off your cv [mainly your name and address/email].
Also, many of the agencies I have dealt with don't actually know what the job entails and are just looking for "Buzz Words".
You really do have to treat the person reading your CV as someone who doesn't know what you can do. Many cv's go to HR first, the people there don't know the job either, so more need for the Buzz Words.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the cv is the only way you'll get a cahnce of an interview. You really have to make it stand out.
Don't be shy with what you say about your skills, but don't put down anything you can't back up when interviewed.
Old 20 November 2001, 06:42 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your feedback and replies...mucho appreciated

If anyone has a copy or format could they possibly send it to me at 47nat@thomson47.fsnet.co.uk it would be recieved with a big warm welcome

Once again thanks

Nath