Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Feckers that pull out of house sales at the last minute

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 09:27 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ******* that pull out of house sales at the last minute

Is there any legal way I can have someone shot for pulling out of a house sale on the day of exchange because "it's taken too long"?

Old 02 October 2006, 09:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst part is that you KNOW that they KNEW they were going to pull out at the last moment ... and they KNEW it weeks ago!!

I would pay them a little visit

Pete
Old 02 October 2006, 09:37 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I live opposite them. Makes it 10 times worse as every time I see them I want to kill them
Old 02 October 2006, 10:01 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The worst part is that you KNOW that they KNEW they were going to pull out at the last moment ... and they KNEW it weeks ago!!

I would pay them a little visit

Pete
There you go - problem solved - Pete's happy to go round and pay them a visit for you! Nice one Pete - I always knew you were the giving type!
Old 02 October 2006, 10:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

if they were due to exchange today, then why pull out, if i recall, once you have exchanged, then completion must take place within 2 weeks, so they knew it was almost done and dusted. as pissy said, they wanted to bail earlier, but obviously didnt have the *****

mart
Old 02 October 2006, 10:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They had the ***** .... for some reason they wanted it to HURT BADLY!!

Pete
Old 02 October 2006, 10:27 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Yeah that sucks, we had it happen before the buggers didn't even let us know until we spoke to our solicitor and they checked up
Old 02 October 2006, 10:33 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Wait for them to leave for work, and pay soem pikeys to break in and remove all their stuff.

Empty house....how hard can it be to move out now?
Old 02 October 2006, 10:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm amazed that you control yourselves???

I would NEED to have a direct word with them!!

Pete
Old 02 October 2006, 10:58 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Actually, that'a a good idea Pete, have a good confrontation slanging match....

Then when they try to re-sell, they have to notify that there is an ongoing neighbourly dispute. Of course, it could backfire.

Taking a dump on their doorstep might bring home the phrase "don't s**t on your own doorstep"
Old 02 October 2006, 11:27 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Shark Man

Taking a dump on their doorstep might bring home the phrase "don't s**t on your own doorstep"
Nearly as good as the foam lawn, but not quite
Old 02 October 2006, 11:56 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Is there any legal way I can have someone shot for pulling out of a house sale on the day of exchange because "it's taken too long"?

i know EXACTLY how you feel. we put an offer in on a house, had it excepted, spent a good few (hundred) quid getting a survey done, only for the bitch to pull out saying she didnt want to move anymore...the only way i could keep from burning the cows house down was to think that a better property would turn up. which fortunately it did
i find it amazing that when i purchased a new car, i had to pay a deposit, and sign a contract. if i wanted to pull out because i didnt want it anymore id lose the whole deposit, but i can buy a house, spend a fortune having surveys making sure its structurally sound on nothing more legally binding than, in effect, a handshake. crazy.
Old 03 October 2006, 12:18 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I live opposite them. Makes it 10 times worse as every time I see them I want to kill them
Think! have you ever done anything to annoy them?
Sounds like a deliberate case of malice and revenge!
Old 03 October 2006, 07:02 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

works both ways....a seller pulled out on me within a few days of exchange.
Old 03 October 2006, 08:50 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

******* pulled out on us the day before the guy went in to do the survey - this was 4 years ago. They wouldn't answer the phone or the door - not to us, not to the estate agent.

Fast forwards to a couple of months ago and the same hose comes onto the market, £30k more than it was 4 years ago. A colleague of my wife put in an offer and had it accepted only for exactly the same thing to happen

We are biding our time until 2010 and then we'll arange a joint viewing when the property inevitably comes back on the market
Old 03 October 2006, 11:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

The UK needs a system like France.

Over there, when you agree to buy a property, (ie: when your offer is accepted), both the SELLER and the BUYER place 10% of the price with a notary.

If EITHER party doesn't complete within a given timescale, (usually 6 weeks, but can be extended by agreement), the other party walks away with BOTH party's money

You CAN get out of buying, but only for serious things like: didn't get the mortgage, found out there was a motorway or TGV line to be built through the garden, etc.

Alcazar
Old 03 October 2006, 11:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Feel for you and I would join in the shooting

I was trying to sell in part of a long chain starting at a £150k flat with a big £700k pad at the top end. Then it all fell into place but the old biddy who was going to buy the flat changed her mind at the last minute on something completely trivial and so the whole fecking chain collapsed. Surveys alone in the chain must have totalled thousands quite apart from the general grief.

I even tried to find a way of buying the flat to keep the chain going but it was more than I could afford. So my sympathies mate. dl
Old 03 October 2006, 07:18 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Hmm, what a day of developments.

First of all, we did a deal with the builders that our vendor is buying off for them to buy our house to get the deal through (our house is £150k, their house is £750k).

Now our original buyers want to come round to talk about buying the house again. I'll be taking great pleasure in telling them to **** off
Old 03 October 2006, 07:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It can still go horribly wrong in Scotland. We were holding off completing missives to allow the people we were buying from to sort out some access issues. Should have never started down that line as they pulled out with 3 weeks to go, which has allowed alternative arrangements (just). Doing it on the day sounds horrendous!
Old 03 October 2006, 08:27 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Well, they've said they'll exchange tomorrow. I think it was some half-arsed scheme to get us to drop the price that luckily we didn't go for. Having the offer from the builders helped. I told them I don't care who buys it. If they exchange before the builder does it's theirs, if not then tough ****.
Old 03 October 2006, 09:43 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
if they were due to exchange today, then why pull out, if i recall, once you have exchanged, then completion must take place within 2 weeks, so they knew it was almost done and dusted. as pissy said, they wanted to bail earlier, but obviously didnt have the *****

mart
You recall wrongly. There is no specific time limit on completion from exchange, although it is usual practice to specify a completion date on the contracts at time of exchange and a 7-14 day gap is not uncommon. On my first ever house, we exchanged with agreement of completion several months later as the vendors were moving into a new build, and it gave me (a) a guaranteed price sale and (b) more time to save up some more cash to cover the move! The same still applies - I completed on a purchase only 5 weeks ago, and that had nearly 3 weeks between exchange and completion (necessary as I was temporarily in rented at 1 month notice)

Once you've exchanged, you are normally liable for 10% of the purchase price if you pull out without a very good reason (mortgage being refused is not normally good enough IIRC, you should have got the mortgage offer through before exchanging!). This is where the "10% deposit on exchange" concept comes from. Although that 10% is often either paid between solicitors in a chain and/or reduced (sometimes to zero) for first time buyers, the contract will normally specify that you're liable for 10% anyway.

Before you've exchanged, you're legally liable for nothing. Seems to me that as there's big sums of money involved, people are often ****s about it and do all sorts of things to try and screw a few £k out of the process, often on a "who flinches first" type basis. I had sellers pull out on me on a previous attempted purchase as they decided they didn't like the prices where they were moving too (which of course they couldn't check before sellling their house ) I've also had a couple of instances of people obviously looking after number 1 and stuff anybody else; seems a shame but you often need to "play hardball" too if you're not going to get screwed.