Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Front Number Plates - Discriminatory?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 02:45 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Number Plates - Discriminatory?

Whilst on the way to work this morning, I passed one of those police camera vans parked up in the layby of a dual carriageway getting photos of the cars coming head-on towards them (i.e. speed trapping them from the front). It was a 50mph limit, although I know I was doing at least 60mph.

However, as soon as I saw the van (and subsequently started to brake) a motorbike came flying past me and was doing at least 80mph when it passed the van.

As they would identify me through my front number plate, I am now expecting a NIP. However, how would they identify the biker/owner? It's worth me pointing out here that there were NO police cars beyond the van (i.e. that could see his rear plate).

One would assume, therefore, that the biker could (probably already has) got away with it.

Am I being discriminated against for having a front number plate and (potentially) being prosecuted for speeding when a biker may not???

Any comments?
Old 02 October 2006, 02:50 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

It's the same with fixed Truvelo camera's too
Old 02 October 2006, 03:24 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

it is very unfair to be honest. I used to ride an 03 R1 before my scoob and i loved the fact that i could and often did fly past these vans when there facing straight at you. I often accelerated to make a point of it. Now i'm in a car i see it as really unfair. I think they should only allow these traps to catch the rear plates.
I have heard that a lot of these vans now have cameras on the front of them too. Just recording every car that goes past to get the number plates and nothing else to overcome this.
Old 02 October 2006, 03:25 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Anyhow, if they register a bike ove the limit the policeman TURNS HIS HEAD AND READS THE NUMBER PLATE ON THE BACK OF THE BIKE AND WRITES IT DOWN ..... DOH ....
What policeman? It'll be some dogooder member of the public with a laser, a bacon sarnie & his feet up.
Old 02 October 2006, 04:25 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

I cant see how you can whinge about it just because you may have been caught and someone else wasnt

Dont speed if you dont wanna get caught..

It is true they can write you plate down but if your accelerating and swerving and/or your number plate is mounted on spring washers its a lot harder to read...

In the mean time, its another advantage to having a bike.
Old 02 October 2006, 11:50 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Surely its not just a case off the cam operator logging your plate down by pen and paper if you pass them on a bike ??!!

small plate, accelerating hard and all that ??!!

so if he reads the plate wrong and you end up getting some other bikers points then its all down to the operator reading the plate wrong ??

surely is video / photo camera evidence only off the actual plate is it not ??

nope find that very hard to believe !!!
Old 03 October 2006, 09:09 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Surely its not just a case off the cam operator logging your plate down by pen and paper if you pass them on a bike ??!!

small plate, accelerating hard and all that ??!!

so if he reads the plate wrong and you end up getting some other bikers points then its all down to the operator reading the plate wrong ??

surely is video / photo camera evidence only off the actual plate is it not ??

nope find that very hard to believe !!!
Its hard to believe but its fact!
Old 03 October 2006, 11:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Of COURSE it's discriminatory. But it helps them to identify the CAR drivers, so that's what they use.

See, it's NOWT to do with road safety, and ALL to do with revenue. This just proves it.

When motorbikes make up less than 4% of the vehicles on the road, but are involved in 38% of the fatalities, SURELY, if cameras wer about SAFETY, they'd target this group? (and no, NOT all that 38% are SMIDSY's)

Oh, and I LOVED the comment about bacon slicers. Can you imagine the government's response to a CAR manufacturer who asked them for permission to sell a certain model of car in the UK, adding that they were sorry, but owing to it's design, they couldn't fit a safe number plate ?

Bikes should be modified to carry a small, FLAT plate on the front forks, or get off the road Simple, eh?

Alcazar
Old 04 October 2006, 09:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very selfish to deliberately increase your speed in a restricted area because you know they can't book you! Shows a certain lack of responsibility.

Les
Old 04 October 2006, 09:34 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Like popping a wheelie past a revenue camera ?
Old 04 October 2006, 09:51 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Leslie
Very selfish to deliberately increase your speed in a restricted area because you know they can't book you! Shows a certain lack of responsibility.

Les
Same as I would do, but I'd give the finger at the same time.
Old 04 October 2006, 12:33 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Surely it's not discriminating as you too could also ride a bike and aviod the scamera vans?!?
Old 04 October 2006, 12:35 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
Surely it's not discriminating as you too could also ride a bike and aviod the scamera vans?!?
So if I temporaily covered my plates each time I pass a camera, that would be OK with the police
Old 04 October 2006, 12:56 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The difference being that it's illegal not having a front plate on a car, but it's not on a bike.

As above, if you don't like it buy a bike!
Old 04 October 2006, 12:59 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
So if I temporaily covered my plates each time I pass a camera, that would be OK with the police
As long as you can drive your car on two wheels whilst covering your front plate, can't see they can have a problem with it then
Old 04 October 2006, 01:43 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
I cant see how you can whinge about it just because you may have been caught and someone else wasnt

Dont speed if you dont wanna get caught..
I think you've missed the point.
Old 04 October 2006, 02:03 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Forward facing cameras have been shown to be too inaccurate on bikes anyway due to frontal area (or lack of). So they wont even bother. It's not fair at all is it ? But if Police turned the camera round they wouldnt catch so many people, as they would have more chance to slow down....that's not fair either...
Old 04 October 2006, 02:19 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dtriggs
But if Police turned the camera round they wouldnt catch so many people, as they would have more chance to slow down....that's not fair either...
Not fair on who? Surely the whole idea is to slow people down?

The primary purpose of a speed camera/speed trap is road safety - As far as I am concerned, there should be big neon sign 500 yards before the camera saying "WARNING POLICE SPEED TRAP AHEAD" - In order to encourage people to slow down through the accident blackspot the speed camera is supposed to be making safe.

Hiding in bushes/not being highly visible/foward facing incase people slow down too much, is doing nothing to promote road safety whatsoever.
Old 04 October 2006, 02:22 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Not fair on who? Surely the whole idea is to slow people down?
Not at all otherwise they would do as you later suggest.

The primary purpose of a speed camera/speed trap is road safety -
No it's primary purpose is revenue generation.

Hiding in bushes/not being highly visible/foward facing incase people slow down too much, is doing nothing to promote road safety whatsoever.
Exactly, as it is not about road safety.
Old 04 October 2006, 03:10 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
I think you've missed the point.
thats because I ride a bike......
Old 04 October 2006, 03:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dtriggs
Forward facing cameras have been shown to be too inaccurate on bikes anyway due to frontal area (or lack of). ...
Ah, but the static ones relay on Piezo sensors set in the road, and a bike will set these off just as much as will a car.........

Cue large numbers of folk now destroying these sensors with a well placed chisel and a hammer.......... Allegedly

Alcazar
Old 04 October 2006, 03:33 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ah, but the static ones relay on Piezo sensors set in the road, and a bike will set these off just as much as will a car.........

Cue large numbers of folk now destroying these sensors with a well placed chisel and a hammer.......... Allegedly

Alcazar
Whilst it is true that cameras have been shown to be inaccurate on bikes(an MCN investigation showed a camera to trigger a speed of 60MPH on a parked Fireblade) the police choose to ignore this evidence and they will still convict you so its not something that you can solidly rely on.

However there is a gap between the end of the sensors and the road/kerb...aim for this gap and you wont trigger the camera .

It just keeps getting unfairer and unfairer .....
Old 05 October 2006, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I ride a 'bike as well Scoobynutta and I would hate to slice a pedestrian up with a front numberplate.

Les
Old 05 October 2006, 11:25 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Bikers suffer discrimination too - they get killed by drivers who don't use indicators or mirrors. Swings and roundabouts. No need for sour grapes.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:12 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Longjing
Bikers suffer discrimination too - they get killed by drivers who don't use indicators or mirrors. Swings and roundabouts. No need for sour grapes.
On the basis that other car users are killed by car users, that's not discrimination.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:20 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Leslie
I ride a 'bike as well Scoobynutta and I would hate to slice a pedestrian up with a front numberplate.

Les
Ah but you havent seen the latest ploy by HM Government on compulsory fitting of front numberplates. They are working with the motorcycle industry to force manufacturers to provide a horizontal front facing area for fixing a number plate................
Old 05 October 2006, 12:25 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Red face

[QUOTE=PeteBrant]Not fair on who? Surely the whole idea is to slow people down?

Not so, when Nottingham installed the specs cameras (average speed) they actually factored in a number of prosecutions to pay for the equipment, installation and running costs. They then bleated publicly that the specs system wasnt paying its way (or as they had hoped making a profit) because they werent getting the level of prosecutions they were hoping or planned for.
Old 05 October 2006, 12:33 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can't beat them join them, instead of biting your nose to spite your face.

Quick Reply: Front Number Plates - Discriminatory?