Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scamera vans/respect for police

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 02:35 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scamera vans/respect for police

Might have some points coming my way thanks to the yellow van full of burger eating police.Possibly exceeding 30.Twice

Have been peeved with police policy for a while now.I don't even park on double yellows unlike every other sod.Don't generally break any rules of any sort

Decided at the weekend that my love for the police is at an all time low.

Would I trip up a fleeing suspect to help a pursuing copper? Not anymore.Could not be bothered to help.I know it is moaned about time and again,but I really am sick of them.

Any other generally law abiding citizens on the police's side?
Old 02 October 2006, 02:38 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

lol...so your lack of respect for the police is caused by your inability to drive within the law?????
Old 02 October 2006, 02:57 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
lol...so your lack of respect for the police is caused by your inability to drive within the law?????

ffs have you heard yourself.

i think even the police realise that the publics support is at an all time low because people who stray a few mph over the limit are getting points and being treated as criminals. truth is as always the motorist is an easy target and revenue earner thus this is why they do it.

Dont tell me you've never flouted traffic law 'cos we all have.
Old 02 October 2006, 03:04 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

The only reason motorists are easy targets is because we/they/you are unable to drive within the speeds set out by law... If we didnt break the law how could we all be targets?
No-one can honestly say that they have never broken the speed limits in their driving life, but to moan about the police catching people breaking the law is very, very funny....
Snug Rhino, you have hit the nail on the swede
Old 02 October 2006, 03:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

No I agree with Tiggs, you cant seriously be peeved off at the police for catching you speeding, Im peeved at the police for putting more resources into catching speeding motorists (not me because Im sensible) rather than any sort of traditional policing.
Old 02 October 2006, 03:11 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I think Police priorities are all wrong, and I get annoyed that they only site these cameras in revenue raising places, but I wouldn't moan on here if I got caught.

Where I live is a classic example, there have been 3 fatalities on a 60mph stretch of road near me, so what do the Police do? Setup a mobile camera unit further up the road where the limit is 30mph.

Get yourelf a GPS detector.
Old 02 October 2006, 03:13 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
The only reason motorists are easy targets is because we/they/you are unable to drive within the speeds set out by law... If we didnt break the law how could we all be targets?
No-one can honestly say that they have never broken the speed limits in their driving life, but to moan about the police catching people breaking the law is very, very funny....
Snug Rhino, you have hit the nail on the swede
Point taken - but are these scamera vans there to make the roads safer? no do they *****, they're there to collect revenue. there no feckin' good at catching the p***ed up/drugged up idiots behind the wheel.

i agree to a certain degree in what you say i.e. dont speed, dont get caught, but.... even the best of us stray over the limit and cop for it!

personally i'd rather see more coppers on the road making human decisions and catching drunks and thieving little *******
Old 02 October 2006, 03:27 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

No.I am not a career criminal.I just get slightly annoyed when I am having a leisurely slow drive taking the wife and children to the park and will now potentially be 'busted' for the heinous crime of exceeding a 30 mph in an area basically nowhere near schools people etc.

Perhaps I am a little sore over **** all being done to advise about who turned our offices upside down and inside out during a burglary and receiving a leaflet from an MP telling us how to prevent it happening again.

How about catching real criminals for a start? Would that help?

Apologies for rant ,but I really am sick of it
Old 02 October 2006, 03:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lozgti
I just get slightly annoyed when I am having a leisurely slow drive taking the wife and children to the park and will now potentially be 'busted' for the heinous crime of exceeding a 30 mph in an area basically nowhere near schools people etc.

It obviously wasnt a leisurely slow drive then was it
Old 02 October 2006, 03:41 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

I think the general lack of respect for the police is the things we see and hear about that go unpunished each day. It's obvious there are less police on the roads punishing 'real' bad driving, a scamera van and a gatso are 'lazy' policing.

There are also the media stories about otherwise innocent people being taken to court for slapping some ****** who's been throwing things at their house; even after the authorities have been notified, yet done nothing!

The media has a field-day with these things, and bad things are all we hear. I hope the police do occasionally do some good things, haven't heard about one recently though .

In short, when I think 'police', I don't think about a helpful organisation I can trust; quite the opposit.
Old 02 October 2006, 03:42 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I think Police priorities are all wrong, and I get annoyed that they only site these cameras in revenue raising places, but I wouldn't moan on here if I got caught.

Where I live is a classic example, there have been 3 fatalities on a 60mph stretch of road near me, so what do the Police do? Setup a mobile camera unit further up the road where the limit is 30mph.

Get yourelf a GPS detector.
I totaly agree, I myself got caught a couple of years back on a local bypass doing 45mph, by a speed trap set up where there were about a dozen coppers, a van and several bikes.

Now I admit yeas I was over the limit but it was a stretch of dual carrigway where there were no pedestrians etc....

Now had they been out for "Road Saftey" reasons and not to generate revenue, then surley they should have been set up in place on the high street this bypass passed ??

You know somewhere where there are parked cars, bus stops, pedestrians, crossings etc.... Some where where road saftey and speed should be more critical ??

Rant over

Mark
Old 02 October 2006, 04:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Went to see my old boy in hospital last nite, there were TWO cars with FOUR coppers ticketing people parked on single yellows outside the hospital.

This is at a hospital that has almost NO parking for outpatients, visitors etc too.

Wonder where they were when my lad was assaulted before Christmas, and there was no-one available for FIVE days

Alcazar
Old 02 October 2006, 04:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A couple of years back some joy riders crashed into the side of some blokes car right in front of where we work and jumped out and ran off. we were on the phone to the police within 30 seconds. 20 minutes later they had still not turned up and this bloke was still sat in his car. it was left to us to make sure he was ok before pulling him out and settling the poor sod down with a brew.

My old fella who runs the place and is not known for his diplomacy rung the local nick and went ape sh*t.

'when you've finished eating your biscuits and drinking cups of tea, get your fat lazy ar*es down here'

after a blast on the phone they were there within 3 minutes

Pathetic when you have to do that
Old 02 October 2006, 04:39 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

Its not the use of speed cameras that p1sses me off, its the locations they are used in
Outside schools etc are fine.... but you rarely see them there.

Rural dual carraigways and A roads where there are very few pedestrians are another issue. We are told they are only located in accident blackspots, but i doubt there are many accidents on straight stretches of country roads with no side roads. These are the sort of locations favoured by the scamera vans.

On top of this, is the new trend for decreasing speed limits on national speed limit roads down to 50mph or 40mph where no changes have taken to the road itself... ie no new housing etc.

These roads were considered safe to be driven at 60mph in cars with drum brakes all round and crossply tyres but are now unsafe at that speed with modern suspension, tyres and abs.

rant over
Old 02 October 2006, 04:46 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are very few traffic police in my area. I can't remember the last tme I saw one. I see plenty of mobile camera speed tax collection vans though. Always at places where it's perfectly safe to go faster than the posted limit. An example, there's a long straight stretch of three lane dual carraigeway with a 50 limit. At the end of the straight there is a dip in the road. There's a layby which you can't see untl you're over the brow. A camera van sometimes sits in there with the camera mounted high on an extendable pole so as it can see the long straight. Sneaky or what!

On another note. Recently at a fairground, I saw two young boys (aged about 12) having an argument which then escalated into a fight. Well, the police were on the scene in seconds, all 17 of them (I counted) They proceded to disperse the croud while the boys fought on. Then it took 4 policemen to each boy to pull them apart. It made me feel really safe knowing how efficiently the police were at handling a very dangerous situation. (Yes I'm being sarcastic!) Later on in the day, there was a full blown riot with over a dozen drunk adults fighting, and the police just stood and watched until it was over.
Old 02 October 2006, 06:09 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I was talking to a mate of mine who's been in the police quite a while now. He's very depressed about his job now, says it's all target driven now and very much NOT the organisation he joined up for. He says that he's leaving in the next few months as he's fed up the way things are, and he's not the only one by a long way.
Old 02 October 2006, 06:14 PM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
Later on in the day, there was a full blown riot with over a dozen drunk adults fighting, and the police just stood and watched until it was over.
As long as no one else was in danger then no harm done, if you decide to get drunk then get into fights that otherwise wouldn't take place why should a police officer put him/herself in a vulnerable position. So many ppl come on here moaning at the lack of number of coppers on the streets, but go into your local city centre night spot and they're all there wasting their time dealing with drink related problems while the rest of the city can't get an officer when they need one. I am not a officer, but feel its just too easy to blame them for societies problems. The government and courts are more responsible for our problems in my opinion.

Naz.
Old 02 October 2006, 06:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lozgti
I don't even park on double yellows unlike every other sod.Don't generally break any rules of any sort
Except moving a large metal object at speeds that coul kill child, presumably??

Thats allright then

A burglar or mugger - generally does not commit murder ..... by speeding you probably WILL kill someone - a child a family a grandma????

Simple as that

Pete
Old 02 October 2006, 06:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
ffs have you heard yourself.
Tiggs was bullied at school Chief. Werent you Tiggs?
Old 02 October 2006, 08:06 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

What about all the roads that used to NSL but all of a sudden need to be 50mph and then a week later have a speed scameras. That's nothing to do with safety and all to do with revenue gathering.

And the 5 miles of 30mph limit through fields and woods between two villages that may just about justify a 30 limit?

And why does every single road have a scamera warning sign when there's never been a scamera within 5 miles? There was a requirement in the hypothecation (sp?) rules that said they had to put up warning signs when there were cameras present. Putting warning signs up where there are no scameras means they have effectively failed to comply with the above. Barstewards.

I have zero respect (and still falling further).
Old 02 October 2006, 08:34 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

scamera vans arent even operated by the police..even though they have police partnership all over them, they are operated by third parties and contracted out.....***** !!!
Old 02 October 2006, 08:52 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by The Chief
Dont tell me you've never flouted traffic law 'cos we all have.
of course, all day every day.........and i would not base my respect (or lack of) for the police on whether or not they catch me.

"the motorist is an easy target"

duuuuurrr...well spotted! 2 ton car on a public road monitored by an automated camera system......of course cars are an easy target.
Old 02 October 2006, 09:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Except moving a large metal object at speeds that coul kill child, presumably??

Thats allright then

A burglar or mugger - generally does not commit murder ..... by speeding you probably WILL kill someone - a child a family a grandma????

Simple as that

Pete
Pete, how many times do people have to tell you, and for it to sink in??

Speed does not kill.

Blunt trauma, heart attack, suffocation, drowning, they kill.

i dont recall ever seeing speed, as a cause of death on any of the death certificates ive seen over the years.

Mart
Old 02 October 2006, 10:37 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

"the motorist is an easy target"

duuuuurrr...well spotted! 2 ton car on a public road monitored by an automated camera system......of course cars are an easy target.
I dont mean in a physical sense - although that is true also.

they target the motorist because 95-99% are normally law abiding people who wont cause a stink or put up a fine when that 60 quid fine comes rolling through the door.

If it was to help road safety - fair enough, but come on, wake up some of you. its purely another form of taxation.
Old 02 October 2006, 10:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mart360
Pete, how many times do people have to tell you, and for it to sink in??

Speed does not kill.

Blunt trauma, heart attack, suffocation, drowning, they kill.

i dont recall ever seeing speed, as a cause of death on any of the death certificates ive seen over the years.

Mart
The IMPACT of a car kills ................... that impact could have been reduced or totally elliminated had the car been travelling at a slower speed when the brakes were applied.

Therefore - speed has a DIRECT impact upon a childs head!!

You are a complete tosser by the way if you think otherwise!

Pete
Old 02 October 2006, 11:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The IMPACT of a car kills ................... that impact could have been reduced or totally elliminated had the car been travelling at a slower speed when the brakes were applied.

Therefore - speed has a DIRECT impact upon a childs head!!

You are a complete tosser by the way if you think otherwise!

Pete
no you are a sad numpty who, on form has to resort to insults when proven wrong.

Impact is not speed.

mart.
Old 02 October 2006, 11:48 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Illogical Captain Lewis... Speed = impact ????
Old 03 October 2006, 11:20 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
Illogical Captain Lewis... Speed = impact ????

Surely, if I hit someone at 2 mph - I’m going to cause less injury than if I hit them 60 mph.

Therefore speed has a direct consequence on injury.

Speed ~ Impact ~ Injury
Old 04 October 2006, 12:48 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Felix.
Surely, if I hit someone at 2 mph - I’m going to cause less injury than if I hit them 60 mph.

Therefore speed has a direct consequence on injury.

Speed ~ Impact ~ Injury
IF you hit someone or something yes your impact will be less at a lower speed than at a higher speed.

If you travel too slowly and your attention wanders you may hit someone at a low speed whereas you may NOT have hit them had you been travelling at a higher speed appropriate for the conditions... with me so far?

In this case you impact will be greater at low speed (when you actually HAVE a collision! ) than when travelling at a higher speed when you are concentrating better and DON'T have a collision.

Mick
Old 04 October 2006, 01:24 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same old same old.

The police are bad, doing things to hurt people......

70mph on motorway and duals, unless listed. 30 in built up areas unless listed. Not rocket science - unless you're a bin man from S****horpe.......

Stupidity shouldn't be given any sympathy.

If I posted a thread saying "I only shoplifted once but got caught - the police are harsh", would it get any response other than bad.

Live with it.

Quick Reply: Scamera vans/respect for police