Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Urgent Car Tax Q

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 10:25 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Car Tax Q

my MOT ran out last week, and car tax on Sunday. Can't get the MOT work done until at least today, and car is on ebay.
Can I still backdate the tax disk to the beginning of the month?

I don't want to declare SORN, as I'd have to pull the sale.
I don't mind risking a £40 fine TBH, as I doubt they do their checking in the first few days of the month

thanks
Old 02 October 2006, 10:28 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yes when you finally get an MOT you can tax the car to start from the beginning of the month, it is still at risk though from the fine whilst untaxed. I know someone who got their fine through within 5 days of the tax running out.

Mines been untaxed and not been SORN for the last 3 years and never heard anything then taxed it this month although my V5 is still registered at my old address lol
Old 02 October 2006, 11:09 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thing is they've probably sent me loads of fines and threatening letters to my old address sending my V5 off today with the new address on so worried I'll be hearing from them soon
Old 02 October 2006, 12:55 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Thing is they've probably sent me loads of fines and threatening letters to my old address sending my V5 off today with the new address on so worried I'll be hearing from them soon
I forgot (allegedly) to tell the DVLA I sold a car 5 years ago. The car then got a parking ticket which wasn't paid, so they sent a summons to the address I lived at in 2002, took me to court and found me guilty in my absense. I found at last year!

Of course the DVLA can't prove they didn't receive the form (which they didn't aknowledge back then), but they're assumed by the court to be right.

I was well p*ssed - I had to take 2 days off to sort it out, and couldn't believe they can get away with that, just beacuse they're too lazy to check your new address (which they had for my other car anyway).