Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone an Ice Hockey fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 08:03 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone an Ice Hockey fan?

I just wondered how the hell they get away with fist fights? And have there been any cases of liable against assault
Old 02 October 2006, 08:08 AM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ref's were tired of getting beat up... accedentally punched... each player signs a waiver i think..... im from north east USA... hockey is huge here.....we have high school hockey teams!!!!!
Old 02 October 2006, 09:11 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Shame we can't get a workplace version of the waiver going........ it would make the weekly execs meetings far more entertaining........ "ding, ding seconds out" ....
Old 02 October 2006, 09:15 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Shame we can't get a workplace version of the waiver going........ it would make the weekly execs meetings far more entertaining........ "ding, ding seconds out" ....
Morning old bean!

How are we? trust you had a good weekend?
Old 02 October 2006, 09:19 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RMA26
Morning old bean!

How are we? trust you had a good weekend?
Morning Chap.....

Had a classic weekend........ and feel like today! Trust that your weekend was equally entertaining.....
Old 02 October 2006, 09:21 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Morning Chap.....

Had a classic weekend........ and feel like today! Trust that your weekend was equally entertaining.....
Quiet, but interesting!

Sat - Pub, Sun - Cinema (Crank) & Sunday, chilled all day

Had to play mediator between 2 mates, difficult over the phone!

Back on topic - Think they can get fcuked for fighting
Old 02 October 2006, 09:23 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

watched Calgary flames a few years ago whilst over in Canada for work Great entertainment, not just the hockey match either, the whole evening was good fun As for the fighting, that just livens things up
Old 02 October 2006, 09:31 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Ice hockey fighting does not make sense to me.
You are holding a big stick,covered in padding and wearing a helmet. This seems like perfect fighting attire to me, these guys take it all off (in a hurry) throw the stick on the ground and punch each other. Why not just wait until your opponent has taken all his gear off and then clock him with your stick?
Sporting my ***.
Old 02 October 2006, 11:19 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Never been to an ice hocky match then..?

It's difficult to to explain, makes sense whilst your watching/playing. I can see why people see it as a waste of time. It's a part of hockey, much like fighting in rugby is expected every now and again.

Play a rough sport, expect to get roughed up every now and again, thats how i played anyway, give as good as you get

For anyone who hasn't been to a hockey match i reccommend it, I was a sheffield steelers season ticket holder for a number of years. It makes for a fantastic spectator sport, alot better than watching a game of football for instance.
Old 02 October 2006, 11:23 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Got to agree wit EP82, Im a big football fan but watching Ice Hockey is much more entertaining (well in Canada at least) I dont follow hockey in anyway either and it was just something to do for an evening going watching a game to experience it, must say if I lived out there Id probably be a season ticket holder
Old 02 October 2006, 12:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Most of the fist fights aren't really that serious in terms of injuries. Much of it is handbags at dawn.

Players fighting are put in the sin bin for a short while, so there is a punishment (of sorts). Players can also be sent off permanently IIRC. Really serious cases are dealt with be the authorities.

Even though fights seem to be accepted, there is still a line drawn of what is "acceptable". A year or 2 ago, an NHL player was roundly condemned by everyone in the sport for punching an opposing player in the back of the neck (very hard and with a high degree of malice). He almost killed/crippled the guy.

A quote often heard in Canada is, "I went to see a fight and a hockey game broke out". Makes me laugh anyway...
Old 02 October 2006, 04:10 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
I just wondered how the hell they get away with fist fights? And have there been any cases of liable against assault
They don't; players are penalised within the rules of the game, these are just slightly more forgiving than say, football. depending on the severity of the fight, whether both participants are up-for-it and the tone of the game the players involved can be given anything from a 2-min sin-bin penalty to a several game ban gross-misconduct.

Yes, several cases of assualt have been brought, and not only against players, also against referees. I've reffed several junior games, and heard of more, where the police have been called because the officials might have used a little bit of force in stopping 'little johney' beat the crap out of some other kid! however no officials have been charged, athough some players have.

The fights are so much better at the higher levels of hockey though. They are sometimes just anger, but so much more often a tactical move to get the crowd involved or motivate a team.
Old 02 October 2006, 04:14 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

It's the same with that boxing lark, they never get done for assault either