Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Microfuzion radar detectors - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2006, 12:14 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfuzion radar detectors - any good?

These seem quite a bargain off ebay. has anyone bought one of these and how do they rate them.

i cant seem to find a radar detector review site on t'internet.

cheers

http://www.microfuzion.co.uk/proddet...rod=MFZLAZUNIT
Old 01 October 2006, 09:53 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Hi matey, i was considering buying one a while back and someone on one of the forums sent me their review which is as follows.

Geoff.

Hi, I have just bought one of these units for my father-in-law, and have been testing it out over the last few days.
I have been using a Morpheous Geodesy Plus for several years, and have also seen a few of the other products on the market in colleagues cars. I am also a regular user of TomTom on a PDA with the speed camera locations as POIs.
Looked at this unit and also the Inforad as budget was limited and it isn't for myself so needed a relatively simple unit (simple in use and installation).
After 2 days I can highly recommend the Microfuzion, and am looking to buy one for myself once my Geodesy subscription runs out!
The unit is very very fast at obtaining a GPS lock (3-5 mins out of the box for Time To First Fix - TTF, then no more than a minute on subsequent power ups). The display is informative and does not give unnecesarry info (who cares whether the camera is a Gatso or Truvelo?). Speed indication seems accurate compared to my other GPS receiver. The feature that shows how many satellites can be "seen" is useful (I don't have this on the Geodesy). The Audio is clear and concise. The diplay counts down the distance to the camera, and the warning if you are exceeding the limit is in good time.
Interestingly this device also has a database of Traffic light camera locations, which I found useful, and have not seen in any other devices I have looked at.
It is also the only unit I ave seen that allows you to connect to a PDA and use as a wired GPS for SatNav (TomTom etc.) this needs a dedicated cable and I have not tried this feature out.
The update process is very straightforward, but you must have a serial and USB ports on your PC (or buy a serial to USB adaptor, in which case you must have 2 USB ports available on the PC). It doesn't install any programmes permanantly onto the machine which is also good - it is just a downloadable executable (in ZIP format) that you expand and run, and it dumps the latest database onto the unit. Latest file on the web site is dated 7/12/05.
The price is good (£100 including free updates for life - I pay £50 per year just for subscription on my Geodesy on top of the £400 I paid to buy it!).
I would be interested to see what the radar/laser attachment for an extra £45 looks like.
At this price I would say go for it - I have not been disappointed.
Beware though that the manual is a little confusing - poor English and grammer, but the unit is pretty much plug and play and you don't really need to read the book.
Can't really fault the unit - time will tell however....
Old 01 October 2006, 11:44 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that - hmmm i see a purchase coming along.

anyone else om here bought this
Old 01 October 2006, 03:49 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

My reading skills must be slipping WTF has gps got to do with that radar detector?
Old 01 October 2006, 05:54 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stainy
My reading skills must be slipping WTF has gps got to do with that radar detector?
The Chief does say radar detector but the Micro Fuzion is indeed a GPS speed camera detector.
Old 01 October 2006, 10:59 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid17
The Chief does say radar detector but the Micro Fuzion is indeed a GPS speed camera detector.
Sorry thats indeed what i meant, camera, radar same feckin thing to me