Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wife saw a ghost in our house last night, but we don't believe in them :O

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2006, 11:44 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife saw a ghost in our house last night, but we don't believe in them :O

I went to the gym at 5pm last night, and arrived back at 7pm. The mrs was at home doing our tea and when I arrived back the lights were on full blaze in the hallway, which is odd as she's one for conserving energy by turning lights off etc.

So I walked in and asked why the lights were on and she replied that she'd seen a tall man in the hallway.

She was stood at the hob sorting the meal, turned round and saw a tall man stood in the dark in the hallway. After jumping out of her skin and turning away she thought it was me playing a trick but she checked again and it was gone (and defo wasn't me as I didn't have a key to get in anyway).

The problem is, neither of us believe in ghosts, paranormal etc, I don't even have a religion or believe in god as i'm far too logical in my approach to life so it was quite weird.

We both laughed it off, but late last night whilst I was downstairs I felt a bit uneasy every now and then.

The strange thing is, we had a plumber in yesterday looking at re-doing the 30 year old pipes for the heating, and the main pipework is under the stairs going from the floor to the upper rooms, and this is where the guy was stood - so in "ghostbuster" terms, maybe it was the chap who originally did the heating, annoyed we're ripping it out, but then as I don't believe in ghosts that would be silly Although the downstairs is always very cold, even in summer, hence the plumber coming round yesterday

I won't do anything about it, but just found it odd last night.
Old 29 September 2006, 11:48 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She has a lover .... and when/if the neighbours see him she can say, "SEE!! We have a Ghost"!!

Its when it moves the wardrobe door and curtains you'll find out he's more solid than a ghost should be!!

Pete
Old 29 September 2006, 11:49 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Are you sure she just wasn't p1ssed.

Was the tall dark chost handsome? He might want to give your wife the *******
Old 29 September 2006, 11:51 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Who are you gonna call .......

Makes you wonder what is out there. I'm the same as you, an atheist. However, I have an open mind. Seeing is believing as they say, but then minds are good at us.

Ghosts - maybe
UFO/Aliens - yes, even bacteria is an alien. But I don't believe in all the sights that happen around the world.
Old 29 September 2006, 11:53 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I talk to aliens on my interstella-alien-phonogoogley-device

The hat's for added protection............
Old 29 September 2006, 12:00 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

This is SIAL is it not?

Seriously though, wierd stuff, every now and then I get the feeling there is someone in the house although Ive never seen anything, often heard noises like someone is walking on the hall way etc but never see anything when I get up to have a nosey around, our house isnt even an old one either so dont know where I get the feelings from.
Old 29 September 2006, 12:08 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Probably ultra low frequencies messing with your brain/eyes

Jules
Old 29 September 2006, 12:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by judgejules
Probably ultra low frequencies messing with your brain/eyes

Jules
Exactly.. ... get yourself a hat like mine.......
Old 29 September 2006, 12:11 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver

but late last night whilst I was downstairs in my pink furry slippers and tightly squeezing big teddy I felt a bit uneasy every now and then.
Old 29 September 2006, 12:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The problem with this is the account is anecdotal. There is nothing to back it up other than your wife's word. The danger in exploring this is that the experience was personal to her, we didn't see it and while we can offer rational explanations for what it may have been, these are likely to be discounted.

It always interests me that people know what the "paranormal event" was that they witnessed. People "know" it was a ghost. What is a ghost? Why couldn't it have been an alien or somebody trying to teleport in from the future?
Old 29 September 2006, 12:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
It always interests me that people know what the "paranormal event" was that they witnessed. People "know" it was a ghost. What is a ghost? Why couldn't it have been an alien or somebody trying to teleport in from the future?
lol bit far fetched that, why couldnt it have been a burglar? Saw your wife, she turned away and he did a runner.... Much more logical, off couse DW is going to come back to us and say well she never heard any footsteps or the front door open or close etc etc....
Old 29 September 2006, 12:35 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by davegtt
lol bit far fetched that, why couldnt it have been a burglar? Saw your wife, she turned away and he did a runner.... Much more logical, off couse DW is going to come back to us and say well she never heard any footsteps or the front door open or close etc etc....
Surely it's no more far fetched than a ghost??!?

I can much more believe in time travellers and inter dimensional beings than ghosts.

Still depending on how dark it was, she just could have been mistaken totally.

Geezer
Old 29 September 2006, 12:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
I can much more believe in time travellers and inter dimensional beings than ghosts.

Geezer

I know I am going to regret this, but, why?
Old 29 September 2006, 12:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The bit far fetched bit is tongue in cheek. I was being sarcastic as Olly was saying it could have been something more explainable than just a ghost and goes on to say about stuff that is also un-provable (is that even a word...lol) I was just saying something thats much more explainable
Old 29 September 2006, 12:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We dont notice ours anymore, I have tried interacting with it to no avail, doesnt bother us so we just ignore it, scared the crap out of us at first but we realised there was no malice, bad vibes or anything, things dont move, no chair stacking, no flying plates (except when the wife is in), no noise.

I see it (cant really tell what gender 'it' is) the most, the wife has seen it but doesnt seem to be as clear to her, or as often (more so when she is on, but then again she see all kinds of bad **** when she is 'on'), never really see it both at the same time, the dog used to go mental, heckles up growling but has not bothered in ages, could be used to it but she is blind and we have decided that she is now also completely deaf. We havent mentioned it to the kids and they either havent seen anything or have not registered it as unusual.

Sometimes get a feeling when I am about to see it, usually appears when I am watching telly in the house on my own, just get a feeling of a prescence and look round and its there, sometimes very faint, other times, though always translucent it seems to have more form but that could be down to ambient light, its an outline of a person of that I am sure but you cant really focus on it, it shifts and moves and no matter how hard you look at it its difficult to see any clear forms, If you have been present when a baby is being ultrasound scanned ,its like that, you think you see a feature but its either your brain making shapes out of nothing or its gone so quick you cant register what you saw. It is perhaps five foot high, colour wise it seems mainly grey but it depends on what is behind it, kind of like when light goes through smoke, it does go all the way to the floor but is less distinct and doesnt seem to touch, it never goes through walls but sometimes seems to slip through the floor, like in a computer game where theres a glitch in the net connection and it kind of looses about a foot, it sometimes goes a bit above floor level but I could say it was a proper 'floater', I have tried calling it an 'Ugly Little Spud' and it didnt slime me, I have told it to f*ck off back to wherever it came from, it didnt. Typical, we get a 'ghost' and its a crap one.

It doesnt look at you, or doesnt seem to, I get the impression that it doesn't know you are there, apart from feeling that something is there I have noticed a smell that comes with it, hard to describe, a mixture of wet tarmac when it hasnt rained for a while and that hot electrical components smell. After a while I got used to it so I decided to lunge for it like the old lady at the start of Ghostbusters, it did not turn into a monster or anything, most disspointing, it wasnt cold, I didnt not experience anything, turned around it just stayed for a moment then ebbed away.

Prime time for seeing it (thats it's name, not enough distinguishing features to give it a name) is early evening, say 6.30, rarely during the day, mainly again due to light and less so the later it gets, never when its noisy.

I dont know what it is, I am not religous at all, it desnt make me feel religous, its so unremarkable, I think it must just be the past of an old house, maybe something happened here but I think the signal or imprint is weak, plus I used to see it loads and gradually it seems less frequent so I suspect it may dissapear completely eventually, although there is always a flurry of activity (relative) in early August. You cant summon it, I have sat there saying 'come on out, show yourself, talk to me', its as ignorant as they come.

When it first happened we were ready to move into a hotel, get a priest in, join the Church and start praying, that soon wore off, I kind of like it now, especially when visitors report seeing something, not many but it has happened.
Old 29 September 2006, 12:57 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occams_razor

Old 29 September 2006, 12:57 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Well we both put it down to a glitch in her mind. Her coat was hung on the door handle that goes under the stairs, and we don't usually hang anything there but she was in a rush.

We reckon the shape of the jacket tricked her sub conscious a few times, then she transpired the coat into it being a figure, maybe, who knows.

She is pregnant with our first at the minute, so her chemical balance will be all over the shop And that rules out the pissed/lover theories from Pete and sti, hopefully

One of the main reasons I don't believe in ghosts these days, is that by now we would have had concrete photo evidence from somewhere on the planet.

If it is a ghost I don't mind, providing it doesn't eat any of my cakes in the fridge for tonight
Old 29 September 2006, 12:59 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I find it a bit far fetched that he doesn't have key to his own house
Old 29 September 2006, 01:03 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I do, but was just going the gym and back so couldn't be arsed taking the house key as its on a big bunch

Oh and PeteBrant, how did you know
Old 29 September 2006, 01:29 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

I know I am going to regret this, but, why?
Simply because I believe that once we are dead, that is it. However, whilst we live, we have already acheived so much, and time travel is not disallowed according to the laws of physics. As for interdimensional, well, never say never........

Geezer
Old 29 September 2006, 01:41 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Living next to Rosslyn Chapel (of Da Vinci Code Fame) for 34 years I got kind of used to them. The White Lady & Co.... think every village has one of them Then again, as kids, we did always play in and around the graveyard at the back of the chapel, so I suppose it's to be expected.

However, seeing an old Ford Granada being driven down paths with nobody driving it (and I mean paths barely wide enough to walk down) did test the boundaries of what I had previously believed.

PS. This was well before I ever took acid or suffered any depression or mental loopiness and coincidentally most of the primary school class I was in had seen it at some time in their lifes

I've since had quite a few experiences but just put them down to extra strong skunk or dodgy mental health at the time

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ed...?id=1101912006

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...s.php?id=75313

As for the fabled Hound of Rosslyn, well hey, call me a cynic but I always thought it was just a large.............DOG or maybe a wild cat of some kind. However, plenty disagree (see excerpt below) and loads of other sightings are always reported.

The Dog of Roslin.
by R. MacDonald Robertson

To this day can be heard on the dark and stormy nights the baying of a dog in the woods, near Roslin Castle, Midlothian. The Legend I heard was that all day on February 24th 1303, the wooded glen near Roslin Castle echoed to the sound of battle as the Scots and the English fought grimly. An English soldier killed in the fight was the owner of a large hound, which attacked its masters killer so fiercely that the scot was forced to slay the beast too. That night, as the battle-weary Scots rested within Roslin castle, the ghostly shape of a huge houng suddenly appeared in the guard-room, terrifying the troops. Night afternight the phantom dog appeared, and the soldiers named it "the Mauthe Doog" At last,it came the turn of the soldier who had slain the hound to stand guard. He carried the castle keys down a dark, twisting passageway to the guard captain's room. Suddenly there was heard a cry of terror and the terrible snarl of a hound from the passage. The soldier struggled from the passage terror-stricken. Though unwounded, the man never spoke another word, and died three days later. After that, the hound vanished from the castle. Nevertheless its baying is still occasionally heard.

Last edited by SiPie; 29 September 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 29 September 2006, 01:53 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
We dont notice ours anymore, I have tried interacting with it to no avail, doesnt bother us so we just ignore it, scared the crap out of us at first but we realised there was no malice, bad vibes or anything, things dont move, no chair stacking, no flying plates (except when the wife is in), no noise.

I see it (cant really tell what gender 'it' is) the most, the wife has seen it but doesnt seem to be as clear to her, or as often (more so when she is on, but then again she see all kinds of bad **** when she is 'on'), never really see it both at the same time, the dog used to go mental, heckles up growling but has not bothered in ages, could be used to it but she is blind and we have decided that she is now also completely deaf. We havent mentioned it to the kids and they either havent seen anything or have not registered it as unusual.

Sometimes get a feeling when I am about to see it, usually appears when I am watching telly in the house on my own, just get a feeling of a prescence and look round and its there, sometimes very faint, other times, though always translucent it seems to have more form but that could be down to ambient light, its an outline of a person of that I am sure but you cant really focus on it, it shifts and moves and no matter how hard you look at it its difficult to see any clear forms, If you have been present when a baby is being ultrasound scanned ,its like that, you think you see a feature but its either your brain making shapes out of nothing or its gone so quick you cant register what you saw. It is perhaps five foot high, colour wise it seems mainly grey but it depends on what is behind it, kind of like when light goes through smoke, it does go all the way to the floor but is less distinct and doesnt seem to touch, it never goes through walls but sometimes seems to slip through the floor, like in a computer game where theres a glitch in the net connection and it kind of looses about a foot, it sometimes goes a bit above floor level but I could say it was a proper 'floater', I have tried calling it an 'Ugly Little Spud' and it didnt slime me, I have told it to f*ck off back to wherever it came from, it didnt. Typical, we get a 'ghost' and its a crap one.

It doesnt look at you, or doesnt seem to, I get the impression that it doesn't know you are there, apart from feeling that something is there I have noticed a smell that comes with it, hard to describe, a mixture of wet tarmac when it hasnt rained for a while and that hot electrical components smell. After a while I got used to it so I decided to lunge for it like the old lady at the start of Ghostbusters, it did not turn into a monster or anything, most disspointing, it wasnt cold, I didnt not experience anything, turned around it just stayed for a moment then ebbed away.

Prime time for seeing it (thats it's name, not enough distinguishing features to give it a name) is early evening, say 6.30, rarely during the day, mainly again due to light and less so the later it gets, never when its noisy.

I dont know what it is, I am not religous at all, it desnt make me feel religous, its so unremarkable, I think it must just be the past of an old house, maybe something happened here but I think the signal or imprint is weak, plus I used to see it loads and gradually it seems less frequent so I suspect it may dissapear completely eventually, although there is always a flurry of activity (relative) in early August. You cant summon it, I have sat there saying 'come on out, show yourself, talk to me', its as ignorant as they come.

When it first happened we were ready to move into a hotel, get a priest in, join the Church and start praying, that soon wore off, I kind of like it now, especially when visitors report seeing something, not many but it has happened.
That was the most interesting and compelling thing that I have ever read on Scoobynet, please pass on my regards, to "it"
Old 29 September 2006, 01:58 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
The strange thing is, we had a plumber in yesterday looking at re-doing the 30 year old pipes for the heating, and the main pipework is under the stairs
You hadn't just trapped the pumber in the understairs cupboard had you? Hate to think what the bill will be if you had at their hourly rates
Old 29 September 2006, 02:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I doubt it as he wasn't the smallest of blokes

After reading Jacko's post I'm quite interested in seeing our own "it" now.

My grandpa died a few months back and always asked for years when we were having kids. We found out we were after he'd died, so maybe ghosts do exist and he was just popping in to check up on us.
Old 29 September 2006, 02:07 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I'd like to second that, apart from this
I have sat there saying 'come on out, show yourself, talk to me
Seriously, seriously bad idea. NEVER invite anything like that into your home, dont even say the words. Otherwise it could go from being indistinct and benign to quite the opposite.
astraboy.
Old 29 September 2006, 02:20 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Get this young lady in - she'll sort out your problem
Old 29 September 2006, 02:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Oh I agree completely that there is almost certainly a mundane explanation. It was more the way people see something they don't understand and put a "ghost" label on it rather than "faries", "goblins", "aliens" etc. In reality they don't know what it is, but just jump to a conclusion. People seem to have to put a label on things, they aren't happy with "gosh that was odd, no idea what it was though"
Old 29 September 2006, 02:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The bit far fetched bit is tongue in cheek. I was being sarcastic as Olly was saying it could have been something more explainable than just a ghost and goes on to say about stuff that is also un-provable (is that even a word...lol) I was just saying something thats much more explainable
I think you missed my point somewhat
Old 29 September 2006, 02:41 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by astraboy
I'd like to second that, apart from this

Seriously, seriously bad idea. NEVER invite anything like that into your home, dont even say the words. Otherwise it could go from being indistinct and benign to quite the opposite.
astraboy.

Like when the baddies get invited into the house at the end of Lost Boys.
Old 29 September 2006, 02:46 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

What scares me here is DW being allowed to breed!

Quick Reply: Wife saw a ghost in our house last night, but we don't believe in them :O