Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

naughty step question

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2006, 10:23 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb naughty step question

If you are not a parent, please press the back button in your browser now and save yourself the trouble of reading this parenting post.

We have a little boy who is entering his 'terrible twos' period bang on time.
Whenever he is asked to do anything that doesn't appeal, he just sits down quietly and refuses to move. Doesn't matter where he is at the time e.g. in the supermarket at the checkout or outside the creche just before getting in to the car. Instructing him to move in a stern voice usually works.

This evening he sat down on the landing and refused to begin his bathtime routine even when given the choice of this or a 'punishment'. I picked him up and carried him to the nearby stairs to the 2nd floor and put him on the first step and told him why I had put him there and he was not to move until I said so. This is the correct 'naughty step' procedure, I believe. After his 2 minutes were up I told him he could stand up and carry on with his bathtime and bedtime routine now. However he just continued sitting there and refused to move. My question is what to do if your child is naughty on the naughty step?

Really glad he's gone for the silent refusal approach rather than screaming tantrums though. Any experiences of the terrible twos out there that people might want to share?
Old 28 September 2006, 10:40 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

naughty on the naughty step?
I ignored your first sentence Your predicament seems damn funny to me
Why not try the widley un-known naughty rope method. This involves dangling the said child upside down from the ceiling above some sort of ugly reptile Let me know how you get on
Old 28 September 2006, 10:42 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignore him.
He'll soon get fed up
Old 28 September 2006, 10:43 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Haven't got kids (yet). However, if you are going by the super nanny naughty step, there is a chat forum thing on here.. might be a good place to ask

http://www.supernanny.com/forum/

Last edited by little-ginge; 28 September 2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 28 September 2006, 10:46 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Ohh my god, the Scooby owners are getting old!!!! I only bought mine in the first place because my mini would not take a push chair and baby seat
Old 28 September 2006, 10:59 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

This 'naughty step' is a load of bollocks . 'Naughty cellar, or garage' coupled with 'naughty leave you in there with the lights off for a hour and all the spiders' would teach the little ****s a thing or two.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:02 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
This 'naughty step' is a load of bollocks . 'Naughty cellar, or garage' coupled with 'naughty leave you in there with the lights off for a hour and all the spiders' would teach the little ****s a thing or two.
You having memories Chip
Old 28 September 2006, 11:04 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I ignored your first sentence Your predicament seems damn funny to me
Why not try the widley un-known naughty rope method. This involves dangling the said child upside down from the ceiling above some sort of ugly reptile Let me know how you get on
Try said approach.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to sit on it last Saturday morning based on the state I was in Friday night, it would have been the dog house but even she wouldnt inflict the dog stink on me.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:05 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Too right. "Naughty step / room" etc not really going to teach them much, as there doesn't seem too much wrong with having to sit on a step for two minutes eh?
Old 28 September 2006, 11:15 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

It' all too contrived & mechanical..

kid is naughty..

kid gets sat on naughty stair..

parent retrieves kid whilst dispalying faux grief, and embelishes with some hugs....

and so on...

Kid gets mixed messages, and doesn't connect the 'punishment' with being naughty....

Kid then pushes the naughty limits...

parents apply the same mode of 'physcological' punishment...

Kid realises that being naughty isn't so bad after all....

Short sharp shock treatment, the shock & duration much less at an early age. 'Naughty stairs' sells programmes, real discipline won't
Old 28 September 2006, 11:16 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Firstly, naughty cushion is good, they're portable

We usually go down the route of if they are refusing to do something then they're too tired, so its off to bed - then just pick him up and carry him to the bedroom, ours usually proves her lack of tiredness by doing whatever was required of her. We don't use this method regularly since nobody wants them to think that going to bed is something to be avoided, but its a good card to play if they're being naughty post dinner, like in your example.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:19 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Watch "I smack and I'm proud", it may give a different perspective!
Old 28 September 2006, 11:24 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Thank **** my kids are all grown up and I missed out on the "super nanny" crap
Old 28 September 2006, 11:25 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

we find it a fantastic method, everytime they speak/laugh/moan, 1 more min is added on, and at 5 and 3 years old, they soon know and learn quickly.

its more of a method to calm them down so you can reason with them, not really a punnishment.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:26 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
Watch "I smack and I'm proud", it may give a different perspective!
It does, it's like comparing mary poppins to the **** party in parenthood terms.

kids need somewhere inbetween, but at fear of repeatring myself, that doesn't sell programmes

I cannot belive people are actually doing & talking on the net about a 2 bob child discipline method they have seen on the ******* telly!!

CH4 of all channels
Old 28 September 2006, 11:31 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I have never watched supernanny!

I hope you haven'y voiced your opinion based soley on what you have seen on the telly! CH4 of all channels
Old 28 September 2006, 11:34 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Ignore him.
He'll soon get fed up
Dunno. After I've told him to get up and carry on as usual and I then walk away when he doesn't listen - that could re-inforce his idea that ignoring his parents is okay, surely? Then again it would give me time to slip away and put a real-time post for advice here on SN!
Old 28 September 2006, 11:40 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I have never watched supernanny!

I hope you haven'y voiced your opinion based soley on what you have seen on the telly! CH4 of all channels
Some of us are so old we never had the "advantage" of telly to bring up and disciplin our kids

FYI I have 3 kids who went thought the sausage machine of childhood and teenage years to become exceptionally nice people Without the telly and new fangled books on "how to grow a perfect person"
Old 28 September 2006, 11:42 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
Some of us are so old we never had the "advantage" of telly to bring up and disciplin our kids

FYI I have 3 kids who went thought the sausage machine of childhood and teenage years to become exceptionally nice people Without the telly and new fangled books on "how to grow a perfect person"
Give that woman a cigar!!

Spare the child, spoil the rod!!
Old 28 September 2006, 11:49 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

I wasn't talking to you - grandma
Old 28 September 2006, 11:51 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

I wasn't talking to you - grandma
Maybe you should
Old 28 September 2006, 11:52 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Red face

We try a technique and if it doesn't work then we ditch it. There are many different resources for tried and tested techniques - books, tv and the internet being just three of them. Sorry for you that there wasn't the internet, television or books around to make life easier when you were raising yours.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:56 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Naughty step works in the majority of cases . Did he apologise after the 2mins ?

Silent treatment is just as valid to a toddler as the screaming fit. Both designed to provoke a reaction.

Steve
Old 28 September 2006, 11:56 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
We try a technique and if it doesn't work then we ditch it. There are many different resources for tried and tested techniques - books, tv and the internet being just three of them. Sorry for you that there wasn't the internet, television or books around to make life easier when you were raising yours.
I never found it was a problem. It was a job I took on ...the raising of children..a priviledge and a challenge I loved every minute of it and am rewarded with 3 quite exceptional children

I'm always sad to hear of parents who have such "problems" with their youngsters Whatever did you expect when you decided to give birth....an easy ride
Old 29 September 2006, 12:02 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

An easy ride is usually the cause, not the effect
Old 29 September 2006, 12:04 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

An easy ride is usually the cause, not the effect

<copy> [opens email] <paste>

Old 29 September 2006, 12:06 AM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming the kids are a result of a decision not a random "easy ride" Not always the case, I know
Old 29 September 2006, 12:12 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Default stop being patronising!

I never found it was a problem. It was a job I took on ...the raising of children..a priviledge and a challenge I loved every minute of it and am rewarded with 3 quite exceptional children

I'm always sad to hear of parents who have such "problems" with their youngsters Whatever did you expect when you decided to give birth....an easy ride
I think you misunderstand. Information sources and discussion forums are now available like never before. If you would honestly shun all such resources, shut yourself away and totally go it alone if you were raising kids today then good luck to you.

I posted primarily because I appreciated the irony of him being naughty on the naughty step and thought I'd share it. The rest of the time the only problem with him is his womanising!

With his little Swiss miss

Steve - It was my first attempt with the naughty step technique. I got him to get on with the end of day routine by himself but he didn't apologise as such.. I'll try that next time!
Old 29 September 2006, 12:13 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern