Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Field based sales roles - experiences??

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 02:32 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field based sales roles - experiences??

Hi all,

Thinking of moving into the above type of role.
Background is 18 months working in private sector as a buyer and 6 months working in the public sector in a business development role (temp)

Never really considered this sort of sales as the rep image really does not appeal to me, however as my current contract ends at the end of the year I am looking at possible avenues to pursue.

Can anybody offer me any insights into what this line of work is like?

A lot of roles come with a car, how does this affect your salary i.e. tax implications, is it the norm to pay for fuel either business or private. Do you tend to miss the 'office' way of life i.e. people to talk to?

Any opinions welcome
Old 27 September 2006, 03:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If you dont have the experience Id not bother if I were you.
Old 27 September 2006, 03:05 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

For what reason?

thx
Old 27 September 2006, 03:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Do you think that its easy? Itll be the hardest thing that you will ever have done.
Old 27 September 2006, 03:46 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Okay.....Sweeping comment maybe? - appreciate input but surely it depends on the individual and product?

What is it that in your eyes makes it the hardest thing i will have ever done?
Old 27 September 2006, 04:03 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

What experience do you have? You'll need good communication skills combined with tenacity and an unwillingness to be put off from the main event - increasing sales. Good negotiation skills in conjunction with decent sales training should have been provided and you'll need to be confident in front of buyers. Admin skill should be good these days as it's no longer enough to allow salesmen sloppiness in this area whereas in the old days it was excused if you were out of the top tier.

A strong competitive streak is useful and you should be target oriented. It can be bloody hard work but if you have a decent product and you can sell, then the renumeration can be excellent.
Old 27 September 2006, 04:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big a1
What is it that in your eyes makes it the hardest thing i will have ever done?
15+ years experience.

Simon
Old 27 September 2006, 04:08 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that FCD,

Simon, If you have 15yrs plus experience in field sales i would very much appreciate your input on some of my initial questions.

thx
Old 27 September 2006, 05:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I did try, but its such an expansive subject (I could write a 5,000 words essay on the topic without saying anything 'positive' too). Your actual questions relate to quite trivial matters; every company does things slightly differently. If you can land a decent job then: who knows? Things may work out well. Many 'reps' jobs are dire though, as are most jobs advertised as being 'sales'. Actually being able to do it is a very hard-learned skill for most people.

Simon
Old 27 September 2006, 05:43 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

echo above - too 'general' a topic to give a definative answer...

Have been in sales related roles for the past 12 years. currently have sales people come under my head count (I.T software). so those are my credentials....

advice would be to look carefully into the type of company, and the type of product being sold. will it be 100% new business or some current account management. experience tells me that whatever the % you get told is account management divide by 50%!!!. why would they give a newbie revenue generating accounts? when they have existing sales bods who would see warm accounts as a perk through status.

the money is in I.T but that's hard to get striaght into a field (or outside) sales role. many folks cut their teeth 'inside sales' hitting the phones etc.

if it is engineering related then a technical knowledge is best required. anything else..ie widgets to accoutants, beer to pubs, oil to garages etc etc is still a tough gig. make no bones about it!. if you fancy lying awake at nights wondering when your next deal is coming in and how far to go until you hit your number for that week/month/quarter?. then the age old addage 'you are only as good as your last deal'. have a great month, day 1 new month its all forgotten...start over again.

if you can live with the pressure and the hassles associated with the line of work then the rewards can be good.

stongly recommend you consider the company and the prodcut and dont get dazzeled by the company car and ote earnings. what is their staff turnover?...do they get rid of sales people frequently.

if its for you then best of luck to ya mate.

Rich

Edited.... tax implication will depend on the value of the car and if they pay for non work use fuel. I don't claim to knwo too much about this but simple rule is the better the benefit (bigger car/greater car allowance) the more gordan the money man will want off you each month

Last edited by MY00PPP; 27 September 2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:12 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Do you think that its easy? Itll be the hardest thing that you will ever have done.

It is not that hard is it really PLenty of harder things out there based on the assumption that a buyer will have many of the skills necesary to be good at sales anyway.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:40 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

sales, if your are right for it, is the easiest way to make more money than 99% of the population. If you're not right for it you will last 3 months max.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I agree. Its not an easy start though.
Old 28 September 2006, 08:39 AM
cnewboult
Scooby Regular

i have worked in sales for 10 years in business to busienss sector and government accounts - like what has been said if you have the confidence - which it sounds like you do and have faith in product you will be fine.

But you will need pleanty of enthusiasm - because you will have blips - bad days/weeks or even months.

if you want PM me and will chat on that about it, would like to know the product

also what is your geographic patch your going to be given as that can have a dramatic effect of your earning potential.
Old 28 September 2006, 08:43 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

You're not gonna make much of a salesman selling your wares in fields.