Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Airgunners..

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2006, 05:27 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airgunners..

What pellets do you recommend for break barrells and precharged for your vermin control???
Old 24 September 2006, 05:56 PM
Sauron
Scooby Regular

Take a look here for different types http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/A...ammunition.htm
It will depend how close to target you are.
If you can get close try Bisley magnum big heavy pellet big hit up close not so good at distance.
Prometheus Hunters are good not lead so do not spread so much, punch neat holes.
H&M semi Wadcutter another good one flattens out and makes big hole in tin can but again not too good at distance.
Flat heads good at short range massive shock on hitting target and accurate.
Remember you get what you pay for so don't buy the cheapest false economy.
Do a search for airgun pellets to find best place to buy.
Old 24 September 2006, 06:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Depends what vermin but rule of thumb is whatever you can get the tightest groups with at the ranges you will be shooting at. Diablos are by fire the most consistent at 30-40 yards. JSB and Daystate FT (now replaced by selects) are up there at the top.

Simon.
Old 24 September 2006, 06:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Surprisingly different air rifles prefer different pellets. I never expected this, and my Air Arms S410 prefers pellets that are totally useless in other rifles.

So in short, my suggestion is to get to a club, and get talking to people. Then ask nicely if everyone who is there would mind giving you 5 pellets (about 10p's worth if they are expensive) and you shoot a group with them. Short list the top 3 types, retest, and go and buy the best of your testing At least, that is what we do at our club.

Things to avoid are any type of pointed pellet that are sold for penetration. They end up being incredibly inaccurate at all but the closest ranges. Also, any form of pellet that claims to expand on impact simply does not work at airgun levels of power. So all those hollow point pellets will not create a bigger wound.

As the previous poster says, only buy what shoots accurately at the outside range you intend to shoot at. Accuracy is infinitly more important than any perceived increase in hitting power. You've got to hit the kill zone or you are going to be left with a wounded animal....personally I cannot live with that.

Crossman Powapell and Accupell tend to give great results. Air Arms pellets are also highly praised (but for some reason don't like my Air Arms rifle). You also need to check that the pellets fit your gun, as some types of pellet simply don't fit in certain air rifles even though they are the correct calibre.

(btw, when testing you are looking only for groupings, your sights will have to be set to the specifc pellets you decide to shoot)

Last edited by Luminous; 24 September 2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 24 September 2006, 06:37 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Its for use in my super 10.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:40 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

accupels have allways given me good results.

as said above avoid the pointed pellets they have higher drag factor than even the flat heads!! my choice for killing things has allways been domes.
i could head shoot rabbits at 50 yards with my old theoben and accupels and they never ran away
Old 25 September 2006, 01:45 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Accupel domes is what i used in my Air Arms pre charge

like already said, the pionted pellets IMO were for targets
Old 25 September 2006, 01:50 PM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

Mad555,

You have a S10, depending on the power its doing, those BSA barrells love air arms fields in .22cal. The pellets weighs 15.9gr and are great in rifles upto the power of 40fpe.

I have several rifles, and my FAC Rapid loves air arms, shooting pellet on pellet at 36fpe at 45 yards.

The best thing to do is, get a selection of pellets from your local shop, and set target up. If your rifle is a standard 12fpe one, zero your scopes to 30 yards, and then try the selection of pellets, you will find that if the pellets weights are different, your POI ( point of impact ) will alter. This is totally normal, all you have to do is do a slight tweak on the elevation and windage turretts.

You will find a particular pellet suits your gun better than others, but as a rule S10's arent usually pellet fussy. Also, your fill pressure is a critical issue with any pre-charged rifle, even more so if the gun is doing some power. Just try and make sure the bottle is filled to the same amount everytime.

There's allsorts envolved in owning a pre-charged, if you need any more info or repairs, servicing or anything, just let me know.

R7
Old 25 September 2006, 01:53 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Cheers R7 it s a FAC model with 30ft/lbs.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:57 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have tried a variety of pellets with my Air arms S410, S410K and my Daystate Airwolf (all pre charged and .177) I had the best results with Air Arms field.

All just for target shooting though not hunting, sorry.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:58 PM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

Definately Air Arms Fields mate, every time.

Some people might tell you to use Bisley Mags, but at 30ft/lbs there too heavy and drop like a lead balloon. There good upto the point of zero.

The AAF's fly faster for longer !

Good Luck

R7
Old 25 September 2006, 02:03 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

A bit off topic. But I would still recommend the AAF's however the last couple of tins of them had an alarmingly high percentage of damaged pellets.

Maybe just a bad batch.
Old 25 September 2006, 03:28 PM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

Just to help any of you guys,

If anyone has any pre-charged rifle they want servicing, tuning or any advice on, im located in the Doncaster/Pontefract area

Cheers,

R7
Old 25 September 2006, 03:59 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Cheers RapidSeven. I'll bear that in mind. Just got my Daystate Air wolf!
Old 25 September 2006, 08:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

How do you all have air rifles higher than 12lb/ft? I thought that was an offence (as in a "we're going to charge you with possession").

Steve
Old 25 September 2006, 09:36 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

As I understand it Boxst, you can have an air rifle higher than 12lb/ft but you you to have a fire arms certificate (FAC).

I don't know for sure though as my rifles are all below the legal threshold.
They are just for target shooting so I have no need of anything more powerful than the legal limit.

Last edited by BrettC; 25 September 2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:39 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I use all these depending on what I'm after

Bisley mags, RWS super h Points, AA field or Hunters (or whatever they have been rebranded to). Powerpel, and accupel.

Ammo box, contains about 4000 pellets of all these types!!
Old 25 September 2006, 10:03 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

R7 do you own a gun shop??
Old 25 September 2006, 10:07 PM
deanwoodward
Scooby Regular

air arms fields i would recomend also and everyone i no swears by them to
Old 28 September 2006, 04:36 PM
Bobba
Scooby Newbie

Default Power up S410

As a newcommer I've read many comments on powering up the S410. Would anyone care to share details on how you do it with care. Thank you.
Old 28 September 2006, 04:41 PM
deanwoodward
Scooby Regular

to be honest if you want more power you should get a firearms licence and get a 22 rifle cos if you start upping the power you will need that license anyway
Old 28 September 2006, 04:50 PM
Bobba
Scooby Newbie

Default Power up S410

Thank you for that. I agree. I should have been more specific. I'm interested in keeping within the law but tuning the S410 to within the limit as I think mine is underpowered. I do have access to a Chrono.
Old 28 September 2006, 05:20 PM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

Bobba,

What will happen is say you want to tune the rifle to 12ft/lbs dead, the rifle has to be tuned to the power with the particualr weight of pellet, say if you tuned the rifle to 12fpe with AA fields ( 15.9gr ) it would read over 12fpe on the chronograph with heavier pellets, ie Bisley Mags ( 22gr ) Therefore resulting in you having a FAC rated rifle.

However 12fpe constantly with different weight pellets can be acheived with some regulated air rifles.

Your rifle will probably be doing around 9 to 11 fpe, and even if tuned to 12fpe, you woudn't notice or benefit the difference to be honest.

And no, I dont have a gun shop !

Ive just been in the rifle/hunting circle for 15 years or so.

R7
Old 29 September 2006, 02:07 PM
Bobba
Scooby Newbie

R7

Thanks for the reassurance that I wouldn't notice the difference of fine tuning.

Could I therefore pick your brains one more time please? I did a chrono test last night. The result was 10.38 ft.lbs using AA Diabolo Hunter pellets (Within the boundaries you suggested). The sight is a Multi Aim Point sight designed for pneumatic airifles to 12 ft.lbs. If the power is less then that prescibed then do you whether accuracy over distance would be compromised by the lower power?

Regards

Bobba
Old 29 September 2006, 06:40 PM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

http://www.csairgunsandfireamrs.co.uk
Originally Posted by Bobba
R7

Thanks for the reassurance that I wouldn't notice the difference of fine tuning.

Could I therefore pick your brains one more time please? I did a chrono test last night. The result was 10.38 ft.lbs using AA Diabolo Hunter pellets (Within the boundaries you suggested). The sight is a Multi Aim Point sight designed for pneumatic airifles to 12 ft.lbs. If the power is less then that prescibed then do you whether accuracy over distance would be compromised by the lower power?

Regards

Bobba
The scopes you have are what magnification and type Bobba ?

No matter what scope you have, if you zero at 25 yards ( for example only ) and you want to shoot at say 45 yards, your POI ( point of impact ) will drop significantly. As a rule of thumb, you either hold over for longer distances, or hold under for shorter distances. Which simplified - The centre of the crosshairs is zero point - 25 yards, at 45 yards, the centre of the crosshairs should be above the target, ie raise the rifle up a tad. If you dont raise the crosshairs and hold dead on at the target, the POI will be much below the intended target.

There are a different types of scope that enable you to acheive POI more efficiently, eg, mill dot and the Hawke SR range of scopes.

All it comes down to is practise really.

If your genuinely intersted in Air gunning, join either of these forums as below, where help is on tap more often than myself.

http://www.airgunbbs.com Which is a very busy forum. But unfortunately the guy who runs it is a mini Hitler and you dont have the right to say it how it is, and when you do the thread is removed and you are banned. If you join up, you'll see the trend.

http://www.airgunforum.net run by a great guy called Sam Bolton, who ownes this shop - http://www.csfirearms.co.uk/

R7

Last edited by RapidSeven; 29 September 2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05 October 2006, 03:10 PM
Bobba
Scooby Newbie

Hi R7
Silence due to working away. Thanks for site references.

My sight is a Deben Hawke Sport HD 3-9 x 50. The sales bumff says specifically designed for airguns 12 ft.lbs. Zero cross hairs @ 35 yds and the first notch above on the vertical zero's at 25 yards. Hence my Q that if gun operating at, say, 10.38 ft.lbs and not 12 ft.lbs then is the accuracy of the multi aim points compromised.
Regards
Bobba