Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much Radiation are we exposed to when flying ??

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2006, 03:55 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question How much Radiation are we exposed to when flying ??

Curious to know how many micro civets we are expiosed too when flying, if any at all.

The reason I ask is, a part of my job is to fly Live Animals across the world and up until recently they were exempt from X-ray, new legislation coming in says they will have to be x-rayed if they are not from a "known" source (too boring and complicated to explain the "known" part) so I have clients now concerned that their small animals will die in the x-ray machine, they wont thankfully as they recieve a small dose of about 5 micro civets when passing through the x-ray machine.

Whilst investigating this I was told by a few people they believed the animals (and the passengers) were exposed to a higher doseage of micro civets when 35000 up in the air for a prolonged amount of time.

Any of the boffins on here know the answer ??
Old 15 September 2006, 04:09 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am more worried about all that fake tan on the cabin crew.Looks like it could iradiate you at 20 paces!
Old 15 September 2006, 04:10 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

About half a milliseivert per year for a frequent flyer. Normal exposure is 2.5, varying slightly according to where you live.

Edited to say this is well within safe levels for a human, and I'm sure it's OK for animals too. Recent evidence has shown that modest levels of radiation may actually be good for you.

Last edited by TopBanana; 15 September 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I am more worried about all that fake tan on the cabin crew.Looks like it could iradiate you at 20 paces!
Old 15 September 2006, 04:18 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

If you're referring to cosmic radiation then this one of the reasons why flight crews are restricted by Flight Time Limitations but there is so much bull**** surrounding the whole subject that sorting out the wheat from the chaff is difficult.

Suffice to say, that I doubt that the levels of radiation they will experience would be higher to what they will be subjected to in flight. I have forgotten most of the stuff I learnt but try this as a starter for ten...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...on_503468.hcsp
Old 15 September 2006, 04:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
If you're referring to cosmic radiation then this one of the reasons why flight crews are restricted by Flight Time Limitations but there is so much bull**** surrounding the whole subject that sorting out the wheat from the chaff is difficult.

Suffice to say, that I doubt that the levels of radiation they will experience would be higher to what they will be subjected to in flight. I have forgotten most of the stuff I learnt but try this as a starter for ten...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...on_503468.hcsp

To be honest, and if we belief the American propaganda regarding man landing on the Moon. Russia never went there, why? An interview with a Engineer within the Russia space program explained that the reason Russia never went to the moon, is cos they didn't want to kill there Astronauts. He explain that in order to protect the Astronauts from the Suns Radiation, they would have to build the module out of 14" thick lead.

Now according to America, they can send several men to the moon and back in a module made of 1mm steel, and none of them have got Cancer, or anything. Let alone died in flight.

Ozone layers that protects us from the Suns radiation? Why are we bothered? according to America, all we have to do is build out houses out of 1mm steel sheeting or sit in our cars, and everything Will be hunky Dorry
Old 15 September 2006, 04:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
To be honest, and if we belief the American propaganda regarding man landing on the Moon. Russia never went there, why? An interview with a Engineer within the Russia space program explained that the reason Russia never went to the moon, is cos they didn't want to kill there Astronauts. He explain that in order to protect the Astronauts from the Suns Radiation, they would have to build the module out of 14" thick lead.

Now according to America, they can send several men to the moon and back in a module made of 1mm steel, and none of them have got Cancer, or anything. Let alone died in flight.

Ozone layers that protects us from the Suns radiation? Why are we bothered? according to America, all we have to do is build out houses out of 1mm steel sheeting or sit in our cars, and everything Will be hunky Dorry
And yet the Russians have had people in their space station for up to 12 months at a time without the need for 14" of lead.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
And yet the Russians have had people in their space station for up to 12 months at a time without the need for 14" of lead.
That's because the space station is within the earth protective orbit. Not Deep space.

Thankyou
Old 15 September 2006, 04:33 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

...which is always conveniently forgotten when the conspiracy theorists come out
Old 15 September 2006, 04:34 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

That's because the space station is within the earth protective orbit. Not Deep space.

Thankyou
The moon is also in orbit and not in deep space. Thats what stops it pissing off to visit mars, for instance.

Solar flares were the concern, not background radiation.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:34 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
...which is always conveniently forgotten when the conspiracy theorists come out
See my last post.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:35 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

See my last post.
see mine
Old 15 September 2006, 04:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The moon is also in orbit and not in deep space. Thats what stops it pissing off to visit mars, for instance.

Solar flares were the concern, not background radiation.
Yes the moon is in orbit around our planet, held there by the gravitational pull of our Planet. But the moon has no ozone layer that protects it from the harmfully radiation form our sun. The Space station is in orbit around our planet, but still within the earths protective ozone layer.

To get to the moon you have to leave the ozone layer. that's when you need 14" thick lead protection.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:40 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the space station was in the ozone layer (or below) wouldn't it heat up with friction as it's going umpteen thousand of miles an hour ??

Midlife.....
Old 15 September 2006, 04:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Thankyou
Mir orbits at 220 miles above the earth in the top layer of the atmosphere Thermosphere 53-372 miles) which can reach temperatures of 1,727 C due to the radition from the sun as there is almost no atmosphere left by this point.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:42 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The worst of the radiation is in two belts around the earth, held there like iron filings around a bar magnet. The inner one is much stronger. Apollo missions only nicked the inside of this belt, and were safely outside the outer one for most of the journey.

You don't need 14" of lead to stop most forms of radiation - their windwos are enough to stop alpha radiation for example.

The biggest risk they faced was the radiation from a large solar flare... and they lucked out!

Ozone layers that protects us from the Suns radiation?
No it's our magnetic field.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
If the space station was in the ozone layer (or below) wouldn't it heat up with friction as it's going umpteen thousand of miles an hour ??

Midlife.....
It's not falling to earth. It's in orbit, protected by the earth protective layer.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes the moon is in orbit around our planet, held there by the gravitational pull of our Planet. But the moon has no ozone layer that protects it from the harmfully radiation form our sun. The Space station is in orbit around our planet, but still within the earths protective ozone layer.

To get to the moon you have to leave the ozone layer. that's when you need 14" thick lead protection.
The ozone layer is in the Stratosphere which only extends to 31 miles up, Mir is at 220 miles up.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......

Midlife.....
It would if it were, but it isn't so it doesn't.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:46 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It's not falling to earth. It's in orbit, protected by the earth protective layer.
No it isn't
Old 15 September 2006, 04:47 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

You don't half talk ****e
Old 15 September 2006, 04:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You don't half talk ****e
That make 2 of us then. The Russian Engineer must have been lying about the 14" lead protection then

As we know America never lies for it's own gain, does it.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:51 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

That make 2 of us then. The Russian Engineer must have been lying about the 14" lead protection then
Or maybe you just mis-remembered it?
Old 15 September 2006, 04:57 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Or maybe you just mis-remembered it?
Or maybe he was just wrong
Old 15 September 2006, 05:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Or maybe he was just wrong
Quite possibly, he's certainly way of the mark with Mir.

I did a bit of a google and the only thing I can find is a CT site on the lunar landings and that claims 4 feet of lead was required. But they don't give any references or workings, it's just wild unsubstantiated claims.
Old 15 September 2006, 05:13 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Moon landing conspiracies debunked:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/f...html#radiation

Of course, it could be more propaganda
Old 15 September 2006, 05:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Moon landing conspiracies debunked:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/f...html#radiation

Of course, it could be more propaganda
And linked from that site a more detailed response
http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/waw/mad/mad19.html
Old 15 September 2006, 05:19 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

As we know America never lies for it's own gain, does it.
No it doesn't make two of us.

Solar flares, as both Top Banana and I have said were the main risk. Radiation is present in "belts" - its not everywhere in deep space in equal measure.

Solar flares emit huge bursts of radiation, and yes, you would need substantial shielding (or the earths magnetic field which deflects the radiation away) to avoid being heavily contaminated.

IIRC (not having googled) its the Van Allen belts (?) which were a further risk to the apollo missions.

The ozone layer absorbs UV radiation. You don't need 14 inches of lead to do that.

Now, having googled, the bloke after whom the belts of radiation are named is quoted as saying

"The recent Fox TV show, which I saw, is an ingenious and entertaining assemblage of nonsense. The claim that radiation exposure during the Apollo missions would have been fatal to the astronauts is only one example of such nonsense." -- Dr. James Van Allen

So, in summary, you are talking ****e

Last edited by ///\oo/\\\; 15 September 2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 17 September 2006, 01:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I managed 38 years worth of that kind of radiation. Don't know whether it was the cause of my recent operation though. More like red meat and pesticide use I reckon.

Les
Old 17 September 2006, 01:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Some truth in it........... one person on here is almost certainly senile, and he flew for over 30 years...... <uncle albert type> "during the war................ " ..........

Quick Reply: How much Radiation are we exposed to when flying ??