Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitting child seats in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2006, 08:43 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting child seats in a Porsche

The new legislation come into effect 18th September and i need some advice.

My 7 year old at 120cm tall fits well in the rear seats of my 911 cab which has rear lap belts only. The new legislation state that he may need to be sat on a booster seat to comply. The seats in the back of my car are small and look as though they are designed for kids anyway. When sat in the back the kids are down in the protective shell of the car body. Fitting a booster seat will raise the kids up out of the snug fit of the seats placing them in more danger in my opinion. I understand why boosters are required for 3 point belts but not sure about laps belts. Any advice would be appreciated before i phone the dealer.

Below is an extract from a typical question and answer from a child safety website many will be asking with regard to whether a car seat will be required for children under 135cm tall in small seats.

What about rear facing seats in the back of estate cars, or small seats with forward facing seats in sports cars?

Some estate cars have rear facing seats in the luggage compartment for use by children, and some 2 + 2 sports cars or convertibles have small rear seats. Child seats/boosters to the required UN ECE Regulation 44.03 type approval must be used on these seats. However, it may be that such seats are certified to UN ECE 44.03 type approval standards which means that they are in effect type-approved child seats/booster seats themselves and therefore a separate child seat/booster would not be needed. If a seat complies with the type-approval standard, it will have an "E" label, with "44.03" or ".03" and the weight range of the child for which it is designed. You may need to check with the car handbook, or the vehicle manufacturer, whether the seat is so approved.
Old 14 September 2006, 08:49 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lewegie
snip...

You may need to check with the car handbook, or the vehicle manufacturer, whether the seat is so approved.
And have you?
Old 14 September 2006, 01:17 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'll swop your porka for my wrx - it has isofix in the rear; just the job!