Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

2m can't keep up with their mortgage payments.

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2006, 10:50 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2m can't keep up with their mortgage payments.

The reality behind New Labour's so called 'strong economy'.

Some 770,000 people have missed one or more repayments in the past year, a Citizens Advice survey suggests.

11% of all those surveyed wrongly believed a secured loan meant they could miss repayments but their home would still be safe.

A further 10% of people thought it was a loan where borrowers could pay back as little or as much as they want each month.

With idiots like these in the housing market Won't be long now till the house of cards tumbles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5340878.stm
Old 13 September 2006, 11:04 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

With over inflated houses it is only inevitable before more and more houses start getting repossessed.
Inflation is rising, and they predict interest rate will reach 5% by Christmas.

People are over stretching themselves because They believe that the housing market will always go up. People thought that in the 90's. Look what happened then !

People are working just to pay their monthly mortgage repayments, and having no or very little money left at the end of the month.

The people I blame are the Banks. Lending too much money to people who are incapable of meeting increased monthly mortgage repayments.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:09 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

the banks make it far to easy for people to get into real trouble with loans, and credit cards, never mind mortgages

its about time they were a little more careful about doling money out hear there n everywhere
Old 13 September 2006, 11:11 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Taking a while for the house of cards to tumble though isn't it?
Old 13 September 2006, 11:37 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vapid
Taking a while for the house of cards to tumble though isn't it?
Well,repossessions are increasing as are bankruptcies.That is from published court info.

I suspect a lot of lenders have still tried to be a bit lenient regarding defaulters.Giving them more time to pay etc before issuing proceedings.I suspect partly because they were criticised hugely in the 90's for diving in and going repo crazy.

Perhaps we are actually in a similar position to the 90's but lenders are trying to hide/paper over the cracks in the dam?
Old 13 September 2006, 11:43 AM
Vapid
BANNED

But actual house prices aren't falling are they? Don't get me wrong I'll be glad to see them take a dive, I got out of the SE market a year or so ago and would be happy to put some of my profits back in when prices are more realistic.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:51 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

The blame can't lie solely with the banks. If a bank said to me, "Of course we can lend you £500,000 for a mortgage", it's in my best interest to know that I can pay that back at the current interest rate and if it goes up somewhat. If people aren't astute enough to calculate what they can and cannot afford then more fool them. Of course the bank will lend the money as it's in their best interest to do so. Not only do they get payment for a while, they then get some collateral if the payments are defaulted.

Why some of these people can't accept responsibility for getting themselves into financial difficulties I don't know......
Old 13 September 2006, 12:08 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always someone else's fault Hanslow, didn't you know that?!
Old 13 September 2006, 12:09 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

LOL, sorry, yes, should know better.....slapped wrist for me
Old 13 September 2006, 12:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It's not your fault Hanslow; society is to blame...
Old 13 September 2006, 01:10 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well if people cannot go through the means testing process & be accurate more fool them, all the mortgage lenders discuss these things with you when you are buying plus you get credit checked so it amazes me unless unforeseen circumstances are to account for some, how some of these people get into such a state?
Maybe I am just a little synical I don't know.

Time to get the deposits ready for the next house ;-)
Old 13 September 2006, 01:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

One person missing from this thread..................
Old 13 September 2006, 01:39 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

The only reason house prices are so high is because people are being able to borrow more. It used to be 3 times your salary and that was it. If they stuck to that then people wouldn't be selling houses for silly prices.
Old 13 September 2006, 02:08 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Plus people are getting themselves in even more financial dire straits by turning to credit cards to pay the weekly shop, as they have little spare cash left after paying the mortgage.
There was a thread just like this a few weeks ago.

Plus, I remember when I got my first Mortgage. Nationwide insisted I pay off my car loan before they would lend me any money. Reason being, so I always had enough cash to pay the Mortgage. Sensible thinking.

Yet only 9 months later I went out and bought a new car. Again, when people are getting these huge mortgages they might have a car that runs fine. 6 months later, the cars dead and need costly repairs, or they have to buy a new one. Yet more money paid out monthly that puts even more financial strain on their finances. Only a matter of time till it all come crashing around their heads.
Old 13 September 2006, 05:34 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBC
The survey suggests two million people fear they cannot keep up with their monthly payments.
slightly different to 2m can't keep up with their mortgage payments. Only 770k missed at least one payment in a year. There are also probably two million who stretched themselves then got a promotion, better job, inheritance, etc. who are easily paying their mortgage and wish they'd borrowed more, and another two million who could have bought a house but still live in rented accommodation because of the scaremongering, and have lost out.

Statistics like this from charities with vested interests are notoriously unreliable.
Old 14 September 2006, 12:37 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
and another two million who could have bought a house but still live in rented accommodation because of the scaremongering, and have lost out.
Of course none of that happens on scoobynet

If I'd listened to some of you lot 4 years ago I'd still be renting - I'm now on my second house.
Old 14 September 2006, 12:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Goochie
Of course none of that happens on scoobynet

If I'd listened to some of you lot 4 years ago I'd still be renting - I'm now on my second house.
Bought my first house 6 years ago and got earache of people saying its not the right time, 6 months later if had increased 50% in value that particular house is now worth about 120% more than I paid for it, wish I had kept hold of it when we moved and took on 2 mortgages renting the old house out as my mortgage would have been peanuts anyway, would have got £400pm for it and the mortgage would probably be around £200pm, biggest financial mistake I ever made that
Old 14 September 2006, 12:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
The blame can't lie solely with the banks. If a bank said to me, "Of course we can lend you £500,000 for a mortgage", it's in my best interest to know that I can pay that back at the current interest rate and if it goes up somewhat. If people aren't astute enough to calculate what they can and cannot afford then more fool them. Of course the bank will lend the money as it's in their best interest to do so. Not only do they get payment for a while, they then get some collateral if the payments are defaulted.

Why some of these people can't accept responsibility for getting themselves into financial difficulties I don't know......
Because it suits certain peoiple (especially on here) to blame the government instead!