Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Telescopes - £100

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2006, 12:02 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telescopes - £100

What sort of telescope can I get for circa £100?

Would it be any good, would I see lots? I'm not expecting hubble or anything but at what point in the telescope world does the law of diminishing returns kick in? Won't be a serious hobby, just something to do one night a fortnight so see what was out there. Live in town-ish (Purley) but back yard is relatively dark so hopefully not too affected by light pollution.
Old 09 September 2006, 12:15 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Are you perving on the neighbours wife again ??
Old 09 September 2006, 12:18 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What's she doing up there
Old 09 September 2006, 12:21 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Get pics & post them, i am sure i will be able to advise from there
Old 09 September 2006, 12:22 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

£100 won't buy you much. Best thing to do is get a copy of Sky at Night magazine or suchlike and look for a beginner's article. Second-hand is going to be the best bet I imagine.

My scope has a pretty big 12" aperture and you still can't see much really. Still good fun though!
Old 09 September 2006, 12:57 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Ok a quick lesson about Telescopes here. do not whatever you do get a cheap reflector (the ones that use a mirror) the need maintanance and are not as good as a refractor. (even though the aprature tends to be bigger)

get yourself a good refractor (lenses) with at least a 80-90mm objective lens, the bigger the lens the better as you can gather more light and thus are able to use more power. Forget these cheap scopes with a 50-60mm lens that say '300x' magnification as it will be a waste of time.

As a general rule of thumb the maximum power you can use without it being too grainy and blurred is 50x per inch, so say a telescope has a 3 inch lens then you can use an absolute maximum of 150X.

see if there are any bargains on Ebay, just type in 'refractor' as opposed to telescope that way it will get rid of all the cheap and nasty scopes that people are trying to off load.

BTW if you can stretch your budget to 200 quid you shoudl be able to get a good 'un for that
Old 09 September 2006, 01:00 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add teh only downside to getting a biggy is portability - mine is a 5 inch refractor and it is a big bugger and a pain to move anywhere. also maybe an idea when you get a really clear night and some time is to bugger off into the country - stars are so much better away from light pollution
Old 09 September 2006, 01:03 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Thanks! Kinda info I'm after

2nd hand or new for £200? Would they need maintenance (above exterior cleaning and dusting etc.) i.e. is a 2nd hand one as good as a new one apart from cosmetically?
Old 09 September 2006, 01:55 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Chief you seem to have a bit of a downer on reflectors! They don't need much maintenance, just the occasional collimation which is quite quick (and refractors need collimating too). For £200 you could get a decent 8" reflector second-hand. Depends on the type of observing really... for deep sky you need as much aperture as you can get, but for planetary you might appreciate the extra contrast of a refractor.

e.g. http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=8074

Don't forget to cost accessories. You'll probably want another eyepiece or two, and I strongly recommend a red dot finder.
Old 09 September 2006, 09:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I spent circa £150 a few years back for my boy's Chrissy present (Tascar??). Complete waste of money. By the time is was all set up and in focus on the moon, say, the bloody earth had moved Decent binoculars gave a better view.

I think it's comparable to digital photography - you need to spend £500 plus to get anything worthwhile or go the second hand route as suggested. dl
Old 09 September 2006, 10:39 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with that. 10x50 binoculars are a great way to learn the constellations before moving on to a scope.
Old 09 September 2006, 11:08 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Chief you seem to have a bit of a downer on reflectors! They don't need much maintenance, just the occasional collimation which is quite quick (and refractors need collimating too). For £200 you could get a decent 8" reflector second-hand. Depends on the type of observing really... for deep sky you need as much aperture as you can get, but for planetary you might appreciate the extra contrast of a refractor.

e.g. http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=8074

Don't forget to cost accessories. You'll probably want another eyepiece or two, and I strongly recommend a red dot finder.

inch would be fine (oo-er) if you can get them for 200 quid, more of a fan of the LX200 Meade's but there not really 200 quid are they

As a starter i just think he woudl be better with a big (ish) refractor
Old 09 September 2006, 11:15 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I have a Celestron 4.5" Newtonian Reflector which is basically a starter scope but it does have a full Equatorial Mount for tracking objects through the sky and also a star finder. It costs a little over £100. However objects do look small and black and white and you do have to do a polar alignment each time you set it up which is a bit of a pain. I've pm'd you a load more info

My advice would be to spend a few thousand pounds and get a Meade LX200R 12" then let me come round and use it
Old 09 September 2006, 11:44 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I have a Celestron 4.5" Newtonian Reflector which is basically a starter scope but it does have a full Equatorial Mount for tracking objects through the sky and also a star finder. It costs a little over £100. However objects do look small and black and white and you do have to do a polar alignment each time you set it up which is a bit of a pain. I've pm'd you a load more info

My advice would be to spend a few thousand pounds and get a Meade LX200R 12" then let me come round and use it
If you are fit I will buy one and let you come round to 'use it' if on the other hand you are a troggite I will withdraw my generous (yet pervy offer)....

I await a photo or a slapped face & insult..........
Old 09 September 2006, 01:16 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks DCI, you're very kind
Old 09 September 2006, 01:32 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Thanks DCI, you're very kind

Why thanks, I do try..... and more often than not I actually get lucky as a result.........
Old 09 September 2006, 05:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

ebay have some good ones althought id be careful how ytou sign for them of the courier

speaking of things astroloogical did you see how birght the moon was last night WWOW`!!!!!!
Old 09 September 2006, 06:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I've got a twelve incher which you are more than welcome to come round and use.
Old 10 September 2006, 11:14 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

any good forums about for getting info on stars gazing/telescopes and all things astroloogical
Old 10 September 2006, 11:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

www.cloudynights.com
Old 11 September 2006, 10:13 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bootsy
any good forums about for getting info on stars gazing/telescopes and all things astroloogical
You mean astronomical space.com is useful too.
Old 20 September 2006, 11:05 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The October issue of Astronomy Now has just dropped on my doormat. Cover story is 'Getting started with binoculars'.
Old 20 September 2006, 11:07 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TopBanana
'Getting started with binoculars'.
1. Take end caps off
2. Look through lenses
3. If things appear to be further away turn binoculars around
4. Now go and buy a raincoat
Old 20 September 2006, 11:09 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Silly boy
Old 20 September 2006, 11:25 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
What sort of telescope can I get for circa £100?

Would it be any good, would I see lots? I'm not expecting hubble or anything but at what point in the telescope world does the law of diminishing returns kick in? Won't be a serious hobby, just something to do one night a fortnight so see what was out there. Live in town-ish (Purley) but back yard is relatively dark so hopefully not too affected by light pollution.
You might get to see the apparent Lunar landing site with it
Old 20 September 2006, 11:33 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Other must-have accessories include a decent star map (either Tirion or Nortons Star Atlas), a planisphere, and a red light. Oh, and some software for the PC such as Starry Night or Redshift.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

BTW if you can stretch your budget to 200 quid you shoudl be able to get a good 'un for that
Lol, am I the only one that thinks of things in percentages. What you've just suggested is, in relative terms, no different to responding to the 'what performance car for £20k' thread with, 'if you can stretch your budget to £40,000 you can get a Z4 M-Roadster'
Old 20 September 2006, 12:45 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Only got one thing to say on the subject of telescopes, make sure it comes with a decent tripod or equatorial mount as it makes tracking objects easier. even the moon!

Its not until you look at something in space through a telescope that you realise how much and quickly things move.

For £100 dont expect massive magnification, Maybe alright for looking at the moon and galaxys but done expect to see mars or saturn as more than a blur.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:56 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mykp
as more than a blur.
Used binoculars last time I saw blur.......... fookin miles away from the stage........
Old 20 September 2006, 12:59 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
Only got one thing to say on the subject of telescopes, make sure it comes with a decent tripod or equatorial mount as it makes tracking objects easier. even the moon!

Its not until you look at something in space through a telescope that you realise how much and quickly things move.

For £100 dont expect massive magnification, Maybe alright for looking at the moon and galaxys but done expect to see mars or saturn as more than a blur.
That is true Mike - when i crank mine up to 200x the speed at which teh object moves across the field of view is astonishing. Not only do you magnify the object but also the Earths rotation - a decent tripod is a must!!!

Quick Reply: Telescopes - £100