Do we know too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 05:08 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we know too much?

<philosophical mode>

I'm reading David Attenborough's autobiography and he descibes many visits to tribes in the 1950's and 1960's. By our standards they seem terribly backwards - but their simple life seems to make them happy.

Got me thinking - are we stressed out because we know too much?

I appreciate it would be impossible for us to go back to a simpler life because we've already opened Pandora's box - but should we try and drag isolated tribes/ people's into the 21st century? Or should we leave them alone?

</philosophical mode>

Off home for beer and pizza in 23 mins!
Old 08 September 2006, 05:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

That would be the mud flat special brew and wild mushroom pizza then?
Old 08 September 2006, 05:46 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Got me thinking - are we stressed out because we know too much?
I have often thought this - I once argued on msn with my brother that tribal people have it easy by comparison. Their whole day is about not dying, getting some chow and trying to re-produce. He found my argument so absurd he kept the conversation - lol. I stand by my comments - it IS an easier life
Old 08 September 2006, 05:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I have often thought this - I once argued on msn with my brother that tribal people have it easy by comparison. Their whole day is about not dying, getting some chow and trying to re-produce. He found my argument so absurd he kept the conversation - lol. I stand by my comments - it IS an easier life
A considerably shorter one in many cases as well!
Old 08 September 2006, 06:02 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I don't think the dissatisfaction felt with modern life is an inevitable consequence of knowledge. I think the problem is sociological.

In days gone by, you were handed your lot and you accepted it. Those who worked the land would never own land for themselves, nor would their children. But by and large people accepted their place in the world.

In today's society, anyone and everyone can supposedly rise to the top. The downside is that people feel negatively about themselves if they fall short of becoming a model, millionaire, world-famous scientist or movie star. This hasn't been the case for very many generations, and I see it as a culture shock, in the literal sense.

Far from this state of affairs being an inevitable consequence of progress, I believe that as we further advance as a society we'll get a better understanding of work / life balance and our own sense of self worth.
Old 08 September 2006, 07:22 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

As an aside, isn't it a wonderful book?

Took it on holiday with me

SB

PS And yes - I think we'd be better off if things were a little simpler. In some ways, anyhow. Maybe even doing without the internet...
Old 08 September 2006, 07:59 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

I think this simple living has a point - anybody watch the film 'The Village'? Maybe not a good example but kind of makes you think the aggro you go to for money?
Old 08 September 2006, 08:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know too much !
Old 08 September 2006, 08:46 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

i am surprised daily how little i do know, but as i get older, i decide that more and more of stuff I dont want to know...there you go..simplfying things as I go
Old 11 September 2006, 01:24 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
As an aside, isn't it a wonderful book?

Took it on holiday with me

SB

PS And yes - I think we'd be better off if things were a little simpler. In some ways, anyhow. Maybe even doing without the internet...
It is a wonderful book - am only halfway through but thoroughly enjoying it - he'd done more by the age of 30 than most of us will ever do in our lives. Plus he comes accross as very 'normal' and down to earth - definitely on my fantasy dinner party guest list - he must be an incredibly interesting man to talk to.
Old 11 September 2006, 09:16 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

dont forget that living off the land can be back breaking work relying on nature and incredibly harsh at times, it aint all rose tinted you know. In those times you worried where you next meal would come from not stressing about commuter conditions. In that respect we dont have to worry about that now, so life is in fact easier
Old 11 September 2006, 11:00 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Some 60 million living the "simple life" in the landmass of Great Britain?
Btw, any of his tribes have the wheel?
Or plaster of paris for a broken limb?
Old 11 September 2006, 11:07 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

That reminds me of something my mother said the other day when I was lazing on the sofa on bank holiday Monday..
Why are you lying there wasting your life away.
This is why you'll never amount to much in life??

WTF !! (pot, kettle comes to mind, but anyway)
We life on a farm and working 24/7/365 has been the norm as far back as I can remember.
I chose not to follow in the family footsteps as I could see it was hard, back breaking, lonely, repetitive work and there was no fulfilment in it, and they pay is well there isn't any pay. lol
I have spent the rest of my life being "looked down upon" by the whole family because of this.

I like finishing at 5.30 and putting my feet up on the weekends... what's so bloody wrong about that !!

I think it's better to live a basic life, I'm not here to get some cat fat at the expense of my own existence, after all, this is the only one I'm going to get! <gulp>
Neither am I here to try and earn every penny the world has to offer, as I can't take it with me.
So far I've managed to do jobs that I enjoy, and earn enough to live comfortably on. Seems daft to do it any other way!

Andy
Old 12 September 2006, 12:15 AM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I don't know too much !
with you there 100%
Old 12 September 2006, 12:30 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

hectic doesn't know too much.
Old 12 September 2006, 12:31 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Wink

We'll be OK as long as we don't tell anybody else what we know.......
Old 12 September 2006, 12:51 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Ever think how stressed you would get when you can't feed your family or are unable to get a woman to reproduce with, as some big b4st4rd runs the tribe and bullies the crap out of all the other members. Bit different seeing your kids go hungry to not being able to buy them a PS3 for Xmas.