Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Eye Infection - Dog

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2006, 09:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Eye Infection - Dog

Looking for comment from any dog owners who may have had a similar problem with their pooch please. We have a 10 year old Cavalier Spaniel and over the last several months she seems to have developed a chronic eye infection; worse in one eye. Eye semi closes and weeps and the old Cav' looks very sorry for herself. We give her the drops that the vet prescribed (Tiacil) and it clears up quickly only to return again a week or two later. Vet also gave us some drops in case she had glaucoma but I think this was more precautionary than anything else. I wondered if it was an allergy but she hasn't changed her lifestyle at all - basically snoozes and goes out provided it's not raining Will be taking her to the vet again and asking about a change of medication but anyone had a similar experience? David
Old 30 August 2006, 09:24 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Dave, we've had the same problem with our Golden Retriever, tried two courses of drops over six weeks, no better so we sought a second opinion. The dog's now booked in for an operation on Saturday afternoon because some of the eyelashes are growning inwards, that is what's causing the weeping and bloodshot eye.

If in doubt, get a second opinion

Poor bugger's going to love wearing a satelite dish for two weeks

Last edited by Karl 227; 30 August 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 30 August 2006, 09:37 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Karl. Hadn't thought of that one! Give yourt Goldie a pat from me - I had to let mine go last year, heartbreaking. david
Old 30 August 2006, 09:39 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Golden Eye ointment has always worked for our labs.
Old 30 August 2006, 09:42 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

David,
FWIW, the second vet we went to said that it's actually a very common condition and a very common operation, may be worth asking your vet about it?
Old 30 August 2006, 09:46 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by David Lock
Thanks Karl. Hadn't thought of that one! Give yourt Goldie a pat from me - I had to let mine go last year, heartbreaking. david

Old 30 August 2006, 09:47 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The good lady has just reminded me that our Goldie had the same and the op' some time back which I had forgotten about but we will check for the Cavalier. Will see if we have some Golden Eye stuff in the cupboard. Thanks, David

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2006, 09:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl 227

Don't get me started

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/Fernie-A.jpg

Anyway this thread is about Cavaliers
Old 30 August 2006, 09:59 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Karl, they gave your dog the op then? My mutt has an ingrowing eyelid, but its not causing too many problems, just has a mucky eye in the morning that needs a wipe. The vet has been shown who shrugged it off and said I wouldnt worry about it unless it ends up getting infected was never happy with the answer but left it at that as its definately the best vets in town.

Entropian I think its called.
Old 30 August 2006, 10:02 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

David,

I have a Japanese Akita who suffers from weeping eyes now and then. Now, my vet told me that this is normally caused by block channels / ducts in his nose, which causes the eyes to weep. He proved it by putting this fluid drop into the dog's eyes and under ultra voilet light, you could see that it came out of one nostral, but not the other.

We often use eye drops, which does help, but has never truely sloved it though.

SBK
Old 30 August 2006, 10:04 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sbk1972
David,

I have a Japanese Akita who suffers from weeping eyes now and then. Now, my vet told me that this is normally caused by block channels / ducts in his nose, which causes the eyes to weep. He proved it by putting this fluid drop into the dog's eyes and under ultra voilet light, you could see that it came out of one nostral, but not the other.

SBK
That'll explain the weeping from my dog. Damn thing needs his nose clearing, hardly slept a wink last night cause of his snoring
Old 30 August 2006, 10:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
David,

SBK
More useful background that I can discuss with vet. Thanks. Might explain why one eye is worse than the other. She certainly snores like a good 'un David
Old 30 August 2006, 10:39 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by davegtt
That'll explain the weeping from my dog. Damn thing needs his nose clearing, hardly slept a wink last night cause of his snoring
Lucky you, about 8pm yesterday mine polished off last nights remaining Irish Stew, I had the last night of the proms in dogfart form from about 3am this morning, by Christ they don't half pong, anyone know how I can make him sleep on my wife's bedside mat instead of mine?

Not "had" the op Dave, he's going for it on Saturday.
Old 30 August 2006, 10:41 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl 227

..... anyone know how I can make him sleep on my wife's bedside mat instead of mine?
Leave some Irish Stew out for him?
Old 30 August 2006, 10:44 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

She might get a bit cross if she has to get up to pee in the middle of the night before he's finished it
Old 30 August 2006, 12:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our old Spaniel (subject of many a thread) os thirteen, blind, deaf and prone to recurring (and expensive) infections of the eyes, ears, mouth and more recently under her chin, a massive lump came up so obviously I get excited thinking that its terminal but alas, no its an infection cleared up by 40 quids worth of antibiotics. See, you lot need to be ambivalent about your dogs health and they will live for years just to spite you !

We can tell when she has an infection as the smell gets worse and she starts shaking her head a lot or rubbing her offending part on the carpet.

Apart from that, a picture of health, manky old fleabag !

I wish it would hurry up, its like watching extra long credits at the end of a film, the dog is largely gone, just a mouldering bag of bones that sleeps all day, costs money and drops turds all over the lawn, need it to shuffle off so I can get a new dog for the kids, one that can see them. I need something to walk as she just wont go anymore, I have put a stone on since she stopped mithering me for walks, she started hiding when I mentioned it, now she just cant hear me, doesnt even hear a crisp bag rustle anymore.
Old 30 August 2006, 01:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You'll be like that one day Jacko