Cheap advertising ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 03:09 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap advertising ?

Hi

I am in the process of getting my business up & running & looking to advertise in a variety of places, such as mens mags (Loaded etc), womans mags and other glossy mags.

Might be a daft question, but anyone got any suggestions for how to get cheap advertising ? I was told to hold off until 10 mins before the deadline to get a better deal, stuff like that. But if anyone knows how I can advertise cheaply in these kind of mags then all comments welcome !!

R.
Old 29 August 2006, 04:15 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Call it.........."Hilters Ovens"........... that should net you a few million in free advertising.............
Old 29 August 2006, 04:45 PM
Vlad the Impaler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Hi

I am in the process of getting my business up & running & looking to advertise in a variety of places, such as mens mags (Loaded etc), womans mags and other glossy mags.

Might be a daft question, but anyone got any suggestions for how to get cheap advertising ? I was told to hold off until 10 mins before the deadline to get a better deal, stuff like that. But if anyone knows how I can advertise cheaply in these kind of mags then all comments welcome !!

R.
For the lads mags get your missus to streak at a football game with your company name plastered all over her ****.

Guaranteed free ad space
Old 29 August 2006, 05:38 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vlad the Impaler
For the lads mags get your missus to streak at a football game with your company name plastered all over her ****.

Guaranteed free ad space
LOL - I hope the garage is warm tonight cos thats where I would be sleeping if I suggested that !

R.
Old 29 August 2006, 05:43 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Hey you can get free one liners in Yellow Pages and Tomson Local also see if you have a local rag thats distributed once a month you could place a small advert for £20-£40 a month
hope this helps
Old 29 August 2006, 05:52 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

cool thanks.

R.
Old 29 August 2006, 06:03 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

Advertising agencies claim to get you better rates because they block book with the mags/papers etc.

Not sure how true that is though... I dont use one at the moment but if I did I would want the invoice sending direct to me, and then I could give them their 10% commission.

Conrad is a good one I think.

HTH

Trending Topics

Old 29 August 2006, 06:48 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Call it.........."Hilters Ovens"........... that should net you a few million in free advertising.............

Yep that would make a great story for a new bakers!

P.S. I take it you meant Hitler not Hilter!
Old 29 August 2006, 06:49 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

BTW what are you selling? You might find direct response alot more cost effective than advertising.

PM me if you want.

Gary
Old 29 August 2006, 06:51 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GaryK

Yep that would make a great story for a new bakers!

P.S. I take it you meant Hitler not Hilter!
Doooh.... meant Hitler, but it doesn't hurt to slightly miss-spell in case the **** filters been turned on ...............
Old 29 August 2006, 07:41 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo

R.
Easy enough, when they send you ad info take the "rate card" and file it in the bin

When you speak to them, tell them what you are prepeared to pay for such and such a size/location. They will usually laugh, but tell them you are happy to work with that price when they can. Come deadline time and they are a few grand short of the months target they will give you a call. Whenever they say there "will be no room left" it's pretty much b0llocks unless part of the mag has already gone to print. Non-revenue generating articles will often have to shrink or move to make way for revenue. After all, that's what keeps them in business!

The only problem with this way is that you will need your copy sitting waiting to be mailed over, no point in holding off till deadline for the cheap rates only to run out of time as you have to get your copy made and proofed.

If they are really desperate and you give them a big ad then you can try to demand the same rate for the next (however many you want) issues. After all, if you know you can pay 50% odd off the rate card for one issue why expect to have to pay more for the next Won't always work though, depends what thier target is worth and who you are dealing with.

Compare rates for simmilar mags as well, mention that you are looking at advertising with a competitor and they'll move heaven and earth to get you in with them first. Also gives you an idea of how overpriced the rate cards are from one mag to the next.

Enjoy the bartering as well, part of the fun
Old 29 August 2006, 08:27 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Cool great advice thanks - I love bartering me !

R.