Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why not to show your driving license when stopped?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2006, 05:58 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not to show your driving license when stopped?

Subject aside - I just for done for. . ..

Driving without a seat belt.

oops.

T'was a fair cop.

Everyone was pleasant about it, £30 lighter & on my way.

One question niggles me - I remember reading in lots of different places NOT to show your driving license when being stoped (which I did).

Why is this?

Usually in this situation I'd have been given a producer - does not showing the license have anything to do with it?
Old 17 August 2006, 06:35 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i never carry mine anyway TBH
Old 17 August 2006, 06:39 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

PC Plod is not supposed to pull your licence out of its wallet to look and see how many points you have, as this may affect his dealing with your current predicament. IME they always do look I suppose if you aren't carrying it then they can only base on 'fair' judgement not influenced by previous naughty behaviour. If you have a clean licence then I would think that carrying it, and being willing to show its cleanliness, would only help? But perhaps its the other way round and they sympathise if you have 9 points but think that giving you three won't affect you if you currently have none?

Oh dear, I'm all now.
Old 17 August 2006, 06:57 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

because if you're stopped for a more serious offence, you might be able to use this defence http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1552322.stm
Old 17 August 2006, 07:10 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

never even thought about trying to look "clean" when stopped????

just cant be arsed to carry it around!
Old 17 August 2006, 07:11 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Mine was stolen with my wallet once, so now I only carry the bare minimum and everything else stays at home safe.
Old 17 August 2006, 11:16 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
PC Plod is not supposed to pull your licence out of its wallet to look and see how many points you have, as this may affect his dealing with your current predicament. IME they always do look I suppose if you aren't carrying it then they can only base on 'fair' judgement not influenced by previous naughty behaviour. If you have a clean licence then I would think that carrying it, and being willing to show its cleanliness, would only help? But perhaps its the other way round and they sympathise if you have 9 points but think that giving you three won't affect you if you currently have none?

Oh dear, I'm all now.

Doesn't matter, when you give your name, address, d.o.b, the PNC screen will show how many points you've got
Old 18 August 2006, 09:15 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I was told its because the police have the right to take you licence off you there and then and not hand it back. Then it can be a right pain trying to get it and in the end costing up the price of another in the long run.
Old 18 August 2006, 09:21 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

If you get stopped - put on your best polish accent and say "I no understand - wot you mean insurance, MOT, licence ????"

They'll let you go - not worth the hassle.

Come across as a law abiding citizen and you'll be taxed (fined) !
Old 18 August 2006, 09:24 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I've learn't the hard way.....

If asked if you have your licence with you always say NO, as if you hand your licence over they then have the very simple option of keeping it and sending it away for endorsement etc...

If you answer NO 99 times out of 100 you will just get a bollocking and a producer......

Old 18 August 2006, 09:51 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I've learn't the hard way.....

If you answer NO 99 times out of 100 you will just get a bollocking and a producer......

Not sure where you heard that but it's not true. You either surrender at the roadside or surrender it later. Makes hardly any difference. The majority of people don't carry their licences anyway and still get a ticket.

99 times out of a 100 it won't get you off.

I think the hope is if you don't surrender at the roadside a "mistake" may happen and you don't hear anything else about it.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:03 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

PC Plod is not supposed to pull your licence out of its wallet to look and see how many points you have, as this may affect his dealing with your current predicament.
How wrong you are

A Constable in uniform has the power (RTA 1988) to stop a vehicle on a road and inspect the driver's documents at any time. This includes licence

In fact, it is imperative that the cop knows how many points the person has, as this can have a direct influence over which course of action the cop requires to take.
If he is aware that you have 9 points, he CANNOT issue you with an endorsable ticket as this will effectively put you over the ban threshold. You will be reported to the court in these circumstances so that the court can decide whether to ban or not to ban.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:21 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Never carry mine around with me either.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:24 AM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

But points dont show on a photocard license anyway - do they ?
Old 18 August 2006, 10:30 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

wrong, wrong, wrong.....

Handing over your license at the roadside can be taken as an admission of guilt should the matter get to court.
Has been proven as the case in the past.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:37 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
wrong, wrong, wrong.....

Handing over your license at the roadside can be taken as an admission of guilt should the matter get to court.
Has been proven as the case in the past.
Do you have a link to this?

The Road Traffic Act empowers cops to demand to see your docs, so how does your complying with this legal requirement consistute an admission of guilt?
Old 18 August 2006, 10:39 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by talizman
Do you have a link to this?

The Road Traffic Act empowers cops to demand to see your docs, so how does your complying with this legal requirement consistute an admission of guilt?
Is it because you're seen to be 'surrendering' your licence?
Old 18 August 2006, 10:45 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Bingo....

Surrender is taken as admission of guilt in a court of law.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:48 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52)

164.—(1) Any of the following persons—

• (a) a person driving a motor vehicle on a road,

• (b) a person whom a constable has reasonable cause to believe to have been the driver of a motor vehicle at a time when an accident occurred owing to its presence on a road,

• (c) a person whom a constable has reasonable cause to believe to have committed an offence in relation to the use of a motor vehicle on a road, or

• (d) a person—

• (i) who supervises the holder of a provisional licence while the holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road, or

• (ii) whom a constable has reasonable cause to believe was supervising the holder of a provisional licence while driving, at a time when an accident occurred owing to the presence of the vehicle on a road or at a time when an offence is suspected of having been committed by the holder of the provisional licence in relation to the use of the vehicle on a road,
    must, on being so required by a constable, produce his licence for examination,
  • so as to enable the constable to ascertain the name and address of the holder of the licence, the date of issue, and the authority by which it was issued.
  • This is NOT "surrendering" your licence. This is complying with the law and "producing" for examination.
  • Giving a cop your licence to check when so required is NOT admitting guilt on any level and I don't see it being held in any court in the land that this is an admission of guilt, unless you can prove otherwise via a stated case?
Old 18 August 2006, 10:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Goochie
But points dont show on a photocard license anyway - do they ?
Nope but they do on the **** off great A4 bit of paper you have to present with it for the thing to be valid
Old 18 August 2006, 10:57 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I think there is a slight difference as well. If yyou're stopped for a non endorseable offence and asked to show your license then theres no reason to not show it. You'll get a producer more than likely anyway so it'll save you time if you've got it on you.

If you get stopped for an endorseable offence I can see why you may not want to hand it over but I don't think it's an admission of guilt.
Old 18 August 2006, 10:58 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Nope but they do on the **** off great A4 bit of paper you have to present with it for the thing to be valid
A fact that many folk often overlook.

The card is worthless without the counterpart, and in fact, the card is not a "licence", nor is the counterpart. The two parts together constitute a licence.
Old 18 August 2006, 11:01 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by medders
If you get stopped for an endorseable offence I can see why you may not want to hand it over but I don't think it's an admission of guilt.
Imagine this scenario.....

You have 9 points and get stopped for a red light/speeding/no entry violation etc etc. You are going to get 3 points and hit the magic 12.

The cop should ask how many point you have as if he knows you have 9, you should be charged and reported instead of given a ticket.

If he asks how many point you have and you don't disclose, or don't show your licence then he will probably give you a ticket and the result will be the same, you'll hit 12 points. The reason this shouldn't happen is so that courts hand out bans and not individual police officers.
Old 18 August 2006, 11:51 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

A fact that many folk often overlook.

The card is worthless without the counterpart, and in fact, the card is not a "licence", nor is the counterpart. The two parts together constitute a licence.
slightly different angle...doesnt the photocard on its own constitute a valid form of id though...?
Old 18 August 2006, 12:53 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

produce his licence for examination,
so as to enable the constable to ascertain the name and address of the holder of the licence, the date of issue, and the authority by which it was issued.
I'm not saying I'm right, but all of those can be ascertained without having to look at the pointy part of the licence, i.e. in the old days, with it still in its wallet. No doubt the rules have changed.

If you're in court charged with burglary then previous offences are not allowed to count against you, why should it be different for drivers?

Surely its not the police who endorse licences, but the DVLA. If a police officer gives three points at the roadside to someone who already has 9 then that should be referred back to court by the DVLA before the licence is actually endorsed?
Old 18 August 2006, 03:00 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

The police don't "give out" points. All they can do is report you for an endorseable offence. The points are endorsed onto your licence by the court upon your conviction for said offence.

John.
Old 18 August 2006, 03:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I'm not saying I'm right, but all of those can be ascertained without having to look at the pointy part of the licence, i.e. in the old days, with it still in its wallet. No doubt the rules have changed.
I agree with speedking on this one (apart from the possibility that the rules may have changed). Many years ago a policeman told me that they are not allowed (without permission) to look at the "folded part" of a driving licence. However, they often use tricks like saying "could sir please take the licence out of the plastic wallet". If you did, then it was a voluntary act, so they could then read the inside bit!!!

mb
Old 18 August 2006, 04:23 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
slightly different angle...doesnt the photocard on its own constitute a valid form of id though...?
Yes

At the end of the day, if a licence is produced for examination upon being required to do so, then there is no legislation (that I am aware of) preventing the endorsements being read.
When a licence is produced as a result of a hort1 (producer) the counterpart MUST be examined to establish that the driver is not disqualified by points totting.
The photocard merely proves that you have passed a test. The counterpart proves that you are entitled to drive

If you're in court charged with burglary then previous offences are not allowed to count against you, why should it be different for drivers?
Its not different. If you are summoned to court charged with a traffic offence then details of any previous driving convictions are not disclosed either, until you are proved guilty, for sentencing purposes.

If you mean that previous driving offences being disclosed at the time of the offence (rather than court), this is no different to a burglar.... An arrested burglar will have his previous convictions checked at the time also.

At the end of the day, I don't think many cops would base their decision on whether to issue a ticket based on the offender's current points tally!
Old 19 August 2006, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is true that an officer may not scrutinise previous endorsements etc. in case it prejudices hie attitude towards you.

I was stopped once when the old licence like a small book was valid, he looked in the back of the licence where any endorsements would be listed. I told him he should not have done that and he handed the licence back and sent me on my way!

Les
Old 19 August 2006, 01:27 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is true that an officer may not scrutinise previous endorsements etc. in case it prejudices hie attitude towards you.
Leslie,

In my (almost) ten years in the job, I have never heard of that, and it is certainly not something that is taught to police officers. There is no legislation in force preventing a licence being examined, nor am I aware of any local procedures discouraging officers from being "nosey".

As I've said a few times, if a driver is being issued with an endorsable ticket it is imperative that the issuing officers knows that person's current points status.

Checking the endorsements page is often the safest method of ensuring that the driver is permitted to drive.

Quick Reply: Why not to show your driving license when stopped?