Worrying leaked report on toll roads

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2006, 09:19 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worrying leaked report on toll roads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5249538.stm

Drivers would be charged on a pay-as-you-go basis, with black boxes in their cars working out how far they drive on toll roads.

Why is it that we pay road tax? Unbelievable!
Old 06 August 2006, 09:34 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

my black box would be sitting at home in my allocated parking space along with its set of numberplates
Old 06 August 2006, 10:34 AM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

2 of the worrying comments in the article are:

"It would also help to pave the way for a national road-pricing scheme in the medium to long term.

"We are considering pilots on the trunk road network as an important stage towards national road-pricing."

When will these people realise that road pricing will only move the congestion somewhere else - i.e. onto cheaper or free (if such a thing will exist) roads which are used as rat runs.
Old 06 August 2006, 10:44 AM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simes777
When will these people realise that road pricing will only move the congestion somewhere else - i.e. onto cheaper or free (if such a thing will exist) roads which are used as rat runs.
Agreed

You have to wonder where all this is going, road tolls, £1 per litre for fuel, Gas and Leccy more than they've ever been. The UK must be the most expensive place to live on the planet...

Where's the 'UK's gone to the dogs' thread again..?

I think all that we can categorically say at this stage is that like it or not, Labour are flooking history at the next election... (not that I'm a fan of any)
Old 06 August 2006, 11:24 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Mark my words, what will happen is

1) A few noises are made like this leaked report. I wouldn't be surprised if this report was leaked on purpose. Government will reiterate there are no plans and its all at a discussion stage.

2) Then there will be a pilot or two. The government will again say no definate plans - we're just testing technology. Lots of money invested by technology providers. A few back handers to local government and we'll see a few local PAYG schemes start. Meanwhile the Government will keep a low profile.

3) Government will quietly introduce a scheme where black-box drivers get a refund on road tax. Meanwhile government will create legislation to claw back money from local governments that are profiting from black box PAYG schemes.

4) Then they'll further the debate by creating a red herring and people like us will debate the pros and cons of something the government is already willing to compromise on. For example, the debate will be something like whether the black boxes should be mandatory or not. We'll then end up debating this on sites like this - all the while not even thinking about the real issue, which is should we even have public toll roads and PAYG schemes.

5) Government will compromise and say - OK, we'll not make the black boxes mandatory. We'll then think we've won.

6) Schemes then introduced where only those with black boxes can get on certain roads. Also, those without black boxes will see further rises in road tax. For example, the excuse will be - "it is only fair that those with the black boxes that PAYG get reduce road tax now that we have more PAYG roads"

7) Eventually, it won't be cost-effective to not have a black box.

8) Goverment will step in and say "all these local schemes are confusing with no standard charging mechanism". Government will introduce a standard centralised charging mechanism

Hey presto - they've got what they wanted and we never saw it coming
Old 06 August 2006, 12:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Do you think they give a flying f**k what you or I or anybody else thinks about it?

It's going to happen, you will have to pay up - that's all we need to know.

I love the always repeated mantra that they have to do it to 'combat congestion.' That makes it our fault not theirs.

Last edited by unclebuck; 06 August 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06 August 2006, 12:57 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Naw, that can't be true, I'd say you are paranoid if you believe it.

How long has it been since I started telling people that if they are to be allowed to drive at all then they should stand up and fight? It is important that you start the fight early while you can still win because very soon the motorist will be fully under the control of a black box which will limit your speed and even control which roads you may drive along. I would suggest that, at the very least, joining up to the Association of British Drivers would make for a good start, even if you don't have time to be active within the organisation at least you can support the struggle against total government control of your driving and your movements.

What is even more alarming about the BBC report is the list of 13 Bills to come before Parli, one is "new powers for the London Mayor." So, this sniveling, terrorist supporting, stalinist lunatic is going to be given even more powers. Oh joy.

Trending Topics

Old 06 August 2006, 02:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Kuro
Agreed

You have to wonder where all this is going, road tolls, £1 per litre for fuel, Gas and Leccy more than they've ever been. The UK must be the most expensive place to live on the planet...

Where's the 'UK's gone to the dogs' thread again..?

I think all that we can categorically say at this stage is that like it or not, Labour are flooking history at the next election... (not that I'm a fan of any)
Yeah because the roads are in such great condition and the fuel is really cheap all over Europe isnt it
Old 06 August 2006, 06:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This is very worrying even though the scheme was mentioned some time ago. The Eu has launched the first satellite which will be able to digitally map the whole of Eu and make it possible for them to apply road pricing and control your car for you.

You can be sure that as UB says that they don't care about congestion but this will be yet another scheme to wring more cash out of us.

As Hedgehog says, we have to fight it or lose our rightful freedom.

Les
Old 06 August 2006, 08:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Time to realise perhaps; that the goverment administers the country on our behalf and with our mandate. Serfdom was abolished over 600 years ago!
Old 06 August 2006, 08:37 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I really thought they had bled the motorist dry, but I was wrong
Old 07 August 2006, 11:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its on its way back GCB!

Les
Old 07 August 2006, 12:27 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Black boxes in cars to find out where you go and when... It will only be a matter of time before they start asking why?"

- My MP's response when I wrote to him about this. Don't whine on this thread about it, write to your MP asking them to oppose this Orwellian legislation.

http://www.writetothem.com/
Old 07 August 2006, 12:47 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Excellent.

Price all the paupers, chavs etc. out of driving and the roads will be nice a quiet for me. Best NL proposal yet
Old 07 August 2006, 01:02 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Default Noooo ....

To keep the maths simple:

Average VED = £200 / year.
Average mileage = 10000 / year.

To replace VED requires average payment of 2p / mile.

Say 4p / mile on the congested M6 and 0p on quiet country lanes.

Where does £1.34 / mile come from Presumably to cover the cost of all the boxes, enforcement cameras etc.?
Old 07 August 2006, 01:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Still, it'll get rid of parking meters and speed cameras etc.

Exceed the limit? Direct debit fine, before you've reached your destination.

Park somewhere you shouldn't? Fine's out of your account before you've returned to your car.

It's a brilliant idea , think of all the extra money it'll raise.
Old 07 August 2006, 01:51 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Providing they replace all the road tax, high petrol cost and steep insurance costs of driving with a single model of payment per mile then it would work.

However, I have a feeling this would be introduced alongside the already ridiculous cost of driving.

What will they do when everyone is priced off the road and people can't get to work? The economy will properly collapse then.

Fecking idiots, the lot of them
Old 07 August 2006, 03:53 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Their plan is that we will all be living in high density inner city housing and so will have no need for access to private transport which they brand "socially divisive." They have signed a number of ducuments, such as the Copenhagen Declaration, which are a matter of public record and which clearly outline the socially divisive nature of private transport and the need to stop building suburban low density housing which encourages social division and reliance on private transport.

The aim of this isn't just to make money from you using your car, the aim is ultimately to bring about a fundamental change in the way you are permitted to live your life.
Old 07 August 2006, 06:49 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Considering the gov't are supposed to work "for us", isn't it about time we got rid of them?

So, how do we start a revolt?
Old 07 August 2006, 08:25 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

When the ***** came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.