Speeding - Camera in van on bridge

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2006, 03:14 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding - Camera in van on bridge

Hmmm

Afternoon all. I was driving my Ford Focus oil burner today (I do not use the Scooby for work) on the A419 near Swindon. It was not that busy, dual carriage way, dry and sunny. I estimate (hangs head in shame) that I may have been doing around 95 ish (in the inside lane).

I then noted ahead on the bridge a nice white van with a black trap door in the side with a speed camera sign. I slowed down at once but have this funny feeling I have been 'got'. It’s a fair cop guv (and all that).

A few questions:

1) Anyone here been caught this way?
2) Are the cameras in the van automatic or does the operator have to point at the car (You see, I wonder if he/she were having lunch at the time...)

I'm not going to moan (much) but I will really be peeved if I get done - the amount of drivers I know who do 50 in a 30 - that worries me more than what I was doing.

Mark
Old 02 August 2006, 03:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
Hmmm

Afternoon all. I was driving my Ford Focus oil burner today (I do not use the Scooby for work) on the A419 near Swindon. It was not that busy, dual carriage way, dry and sunny. I estimate (hangs head in shame) that I may have been doing around 95 ish (in the inside lane).

I then noted ahead on the bridge a nice white van with a black trap door in the side with a speed camera sign. I slowed down at once but have this funny feeling I have been 'got'. It’s a fair cop guv (and all that).

A few questions:

1) Anyone here been caught this way?
2) Are the cameras in the van automatic or does the operator have to point at the car (You see, I
wonder if he/she were having lunch at the time...)

I'm not going to moan (much) but I will really be peeved if I get done - the amount of drivers I know who do 50 in a 30 - that worries me more than what I was doing.

Mark
1) A few people on here have! They are a pain because by the time you relaise they're there it's usually far too late. The only option is to keep on eye on the local scamera websites before you leave on your journey as they usually advertise where they are going to be in advance!

2) They have to be operated by a person, I believe the person also has to have reasonable grounds to suspect you were speeding before they're supposed to point the camera at you too, although that could simply amount to "well he was in the outside lane your honor" If you'd have been in the Scooby, my money would have been on you definately getting lazered!! The focus is a bit more discreet though, so you never know!

95mph on the speedo probably equates to about 88mph "actual" speed so you're probably only looking at three points and 60 quid if you have been caught.

Fingers crossed for you mate, you never know, you may have caught one sleeping or they may have failed to get a reading off you.

Regards,

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 02 August 2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02 August 2006, 03:33 PM
gws73
Scooby Regular

I got collared in a similar situation a year or so back. I also hoped that the copper behind the camera was out to lunch, and as my Snooper didn't make a murmer I hoped that I had not been zapped..... However, about a week later the NIP came through - 91mph in a 70 zone... 3 points and £60 fine. Could have been a lot worse if he had got me before I slowed down
Old 02 August 2006, 03:45 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Just been done at 87 on A5 dual carriageway by Milton Keynes...
95 on clock...probably about same as me, bad news is expect 4 points rather than 3 if over 15 mph over speed limit....9pm on a sunny sunday evening must have caught half the people using that rudy road on that evening it was so quiet, I just feel like a victim not a sinner, wish they would put more effort into solving real crimes or catching dangerous drivers tale hugging.

I expect the goody two shoes ***** will be along shortly
Old 02 August 2006, 04:53 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Yer - beware on the 419 ! Seen camera vans along it several times - and in the lay-bys as well....
Old 02 August 2006, 05:04 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Why don't more people on here use laser jammers? A friend of mine, hmm, has one and has been saved from precisely this situation a couple of times now. Sure they're a bit grey market, but you can do the whole garage door kit if you're worried about that side of it.
Old 02 August 2006, 05:22 PM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be ok mate, Im sure those vans have a window on each side and one at the back. So your luck might be in, he could have had the camera pointing in the other direction.
Old 02 August 2006, 05:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Why don't more people on here use laser jammers? A friend of mine, hmm, has one and has been saved from precisely this situation a couple of times now. Sure they're a bit grey market, but you can do the whole garage door kit if you're worried about that side of it.

Why dont people save the money that they could spend on a laser jammer or speeding tickets and obey the speed limits instead Or, if you insist on being a bit of a mavervick (an I do from time to time ), just go 10% over the speed limit... That way you can avoid speeding tickets I know its a bit of a crazy idea, but it came to me in a dream!!

Hello! I am significantly holier than yow
Old 02 August 2006, 06:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The only option is to keep on eye on the local scamera websites before you leave on your journey as they usually advertise where they are going to be in advance!
anybody have any sites for speed cameras round the lincolnshire area. ive tried a google search and couldnt come up with anything. im not looking to speed, it would be nice to know where-a-bouts the cameras are, especially when im commuting in unknown terriotry
Old 02 August 2006, 10:26 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
anybody have any sites for speed cameras round the lincolnshire area. ive tried a google search and couldnt come up with anything. im not looking to speed, it would be nice to know where-a-bouts the cameras are, especially when im commuting in unknown terriotry
Speed Camera Database - Lincolnshire

Lincolnshire Speed Camera Locations

Mark

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 02 August 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03 August 2006, 10:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well the only thing one can say is always check the bridges if you are knocking on a bit. Its a favourite spot for the "Safety enforcing society"

Les
Old 03 August 2006, 11:48 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobycar60
Just been done at 87 on A5 dual carriageway by Milton Keynes...
95 on clock...probably about same as me, bad news is expect 4 points rather than 3 if over 15 mph over speed limit....9pm on a sunny sunday evening must have caught half the people using that rudy road on that evening it was so quiet, I just feel like a victim not a sinner, wish they would put more effort into solving real crimes or catching dangerous drivers tale hugging.

I expect the goody two shoes ***** will be along shortly
Hmmmm I got done, 83 in a 70, 19:10 Sunday evening no other cars on the road, on the A5 Bletchley ! What really peed me off was the covering letter, that said they had to obey the government guidlines re visibility, and the direction i was travelling i couldnt see it ! it was hidden behind trees ! So he got me from a hidden location from behind, no idea how he could have assessed i was speeding when he wouldnt have seen me for long and no other cars on the road to judge my speed against, so sounds like oooh theres one whats he doing ?

Got 3 points and 60 quid !

You have 10% plus 2mph according to the government guidelines before you get done, so a 70 is 70 + 7 + 2 = 79 60 is 60 + 6 + 2 = 68

If you can see the van they can see you, and do you ! those damn things have a range of about 2km !

And dont be mistaken for thinking it may be looking the wrong way, if he didnt get you slowing down on the one side, they can get you accelerating on the other side !

Is obeying the speed limits or government guidlines for me from now, cant afford any more little surprises !
Old 03 August 2006, 04:55 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

I got 3 + £60 for 89mph in 70mph. Copper did tell me to stick to 80 max, and you won't get any hassle. I DO NOT CONDONE SPEEDING ON PUBLIC ROADS.

Proby.
Old 03 August 2006, 05:01 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If I'm on a long journey I try to stick to about 85 mph on the clock, I figure that's probably a real 80mph, and you'll be pretty unlucky to get done for that.

I also don't condone speeding on public roads though!