Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Plea for the less IT literate

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2006, 05:53 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plea for the less IT literate

The message that's on the old web address doesn't tell you exactly how to get back in here.

I tried all the clicky links, and even the IP address, but kept getting 'Web Page Not Available'. It wasn't until some slightly better informed IT bods told me I needed to delete my cookies and old files that I could get back in here.

There must be other IT luddites like me out there still trying to figure out how to get back in - couldn't you make the message a little more helpful? Or at least give them an email address to write to if they're still stuck?

Presumably the advertisers on here prefer it when people can get in......?
Old 28 July 2006, 06:01 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
The message that's on the old web address doesn't tell you exactly how to get back in here.

I tried all the clicky links, and even the IP address, but kept getting 'Web Page Not Available'. It wasn't until some slightly better informed IT bods told me I needed to delete my cookies and old files that I could get back in here.

There must be other IT luddites like me out there still trying to figure out how to get back in - couldn't you make the message a little more helpful? Or at least give them an email address to write to if they're still stuck?

Presumably the advertisers on here prefer it when people can get in......?
you need to put this in front of shaun or simon..scoobynet policy or bung it on the end of his server announcement ...
Old 28 July 2006, 06:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DBW

The problem and resolution you've posted doesn't make sense.

It may be that the site was just down when you were trying as it has been up and down a lot, while we were moving across.

There was nothing in cookies, etc which could affect it.

The message on the old server explains everything as it really is a straight forward thing. But it may be that you were just unlucky, or there was something odd specific to your host. I believe the clearing of your cookies, etc was merely coincidentally at the same time as you being able to get onto the server.

If you're convinced otherwise, please give as much info as possible, as it must be something completely off the wall.

Cheers

Simon
Old 28 July 2006, 06:30 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Completely off the wall - yup that's me!

I promise I tried the old site, tried the clicky link to the new site and tried the IP address (numbers and dots!) - everything gave me a "Web page not found" message. Actually the IP address gave me a version of the site, but with no pictures (lots of white boxes with red crosses in) and everything all over the place - every time I tried to log in or click on anything I got "Web Page Not Found" page again.

I tried it all day yesterday and all day today. It wasn't until IM suggested I should delete all my cookies and old files on my internet browser - and then someone at work showed me how - that I got back on.

The old site still didn't work, but the clicky link did.

I've no idea how or why, but that's exactly what happened. I logon from work if that's likely to make any difference.

It still seems pretty quiet in here - so maybe I'm not the only one to struggle?
Old 28 July 2006, 06:41 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
It still seems pretty quiet in here - so maybe I'm not the only one to struggle?
I'm with you DBW - an IT dullard.

I've struggled to get back in, even after re-registering. Does everbody have to re-register? If so, traffic will tumble.

One user I know is now posting under another user-name. I don't know why he'd want to change it unless he had to

Anyway, if you can read this, I'm back in the game again

Richard.

PS Hi Simon! Glad you're still up to your neck in it
Old 28 July 2006, 07:48 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aah! ok.. that's different. In that case, yes it is likely that it was simply some caching on your end which should have resolved by now as its been just over 24 hours since the change.

Apologies for the problems, we were just so flat out trying to get it all sorted that we didn't think about that. Sorry.

Hoppy!! Nice to "see" you

nobody has to re-register. But you will end up with two different cookies.. one for .co.uk and one for .com

We'll sort all this out in time, so apologies for the pain at present.

Simon