Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky+ box replacement questions (it's rubbish and I need a new one!)

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2006, 03:00 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sky+ box replacement questions (it's rubbish and I need a new one!)

Since the end of June our Pace Sky+ box hasn't been 100% right (I believe there was a software update at this time which knackered a lot of boxes), and I'm fed up with it failing to record, refusing to rewind, always going back to the demo screen, refusing to play recorded programmes etc etc etc. Typically it's not that long out of warranty.

I want to buy a new box but need to know if I can just buy a replacement and plug it in and go. I've spoken to Sky and they will charge me £99 for a new 80gb box (we've only got 40gb at present) plus £60 installation. The installation isn't negotiable, apparently "it's Sky's policy" but having experienced their installation once I don't want a repeat performance.

What I want to know and what Sky are being very cagey about is whether or not I can do this myself. Does the card need pairing with the box or some other technical doodah??

What's my best bet? I've found a new Pace 80gb box for £139 elsewhere and am poised on the brink of purchase but thought I'd just check with the Scoobynet font of all knowledge first

Cheers

Sal
Old 28 July 2006, 03:06 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Ring sky back and tell them you'd like to speak to the cancellations department. Then ask about your options for cancelling their outrageously bad and expensive service.
Odds are a new box and installation will be forthcoming.

Personally though I'd just tell them to stick their service up their asses.
Old 28 July 2006, 03:07 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Sal,

My box was one of those that got affected by Junes software updates. I had a 120gb drive fitted and in the end I swapped the box over with a spare one I had in the shed.

One call to Sky, just ask them to pair your card with a new box. Very simple, takes a few minutes to do. They then said it could take up to 4 hrs for it to 'kick in' before I could record.

It was working by the time I hung up the phone with them.

You can get good replacement boxes from here:

http://www.simplydigital.co.uk/
Old 28 July 2006, 03:14 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
One call to Sky, just ask them to pair your card with a new box. Very simple, takes a few minutes to do. They then said it could take up to 4 hrs for it to 'kick in' before I could record.

It was working by the time I hung up the phone with them.
Cheers for that, I knew I'd get the answer here in minutes I was on the phone to Sky for about 15 minutes and yet they made no mention of that. The thing that made me suspicious was the fact that the guy on the phone wouldn't answer my questions properly and was being very cagey each time I asked him about installing my own box - "it needs an engineer to install it" my @rse

BTW, that's the box I had in mind in your link
Old 28 July 2006, 03:25 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Cheers for that, I knew I'd get the answer here in minutes I was on the phone to Sky for about 15 minutes and yet they made no mention of that. The thing that made me suspicious was the fact that the guy on the phone wouldn't answer my questions properly and was being very cagey each time I asked him about installing my own box - "it needs an engineer to install it" my @rse

BTW, that's the box I had in mind in your link
Yeah don't bother getting a free one. Stupidity has it's costs I guess.
Old 28 July 2006, 03:26 PM
Reality
BANNED

Ring the cancellations dept. telling them your box wont work and you're fed up with getting nowhere with the tech guys.

Guy in the office rung them cos he didn't want to pay the full price for the next few months - they put him on the deal for New Customers for the next 3 months
Old 28 July 2006, 03:35 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
Yeah don't bother getting a free one. Stupidity has it's costs I guess.
It won't be a new box they send out, it'll be a refurbished one and I don't want a refurb but thanks anyway for your kind words

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2006, 03:40 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Rabid, you must be skint mate!
Old 28 July 2006, 03:48 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Rabid, you must be skint mate!
No, I don't have Sky either, I just don't like the idea of people not draining the dirty digger's resources.
Old 28 July 2006, 04:00 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Fair point, I should imagine the Sky empire would come crashing to it's knees if we demanded a free 2nd hand refurbed box!
Old 28 July 2006, 04:20 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I rang sky yesterday to get it taken out, after 13 years with them I'm sick being shat on.

They offered me the family pack for £21 - the bottom package, when I still said "no thanks" they gave me it for £7.50...
Old 28 July 2006, 04:23 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
I rang sky yesterday to get it taken out, after 13 years with them I'm sick being shat on.

They offered me the family pack for £21 - the bottom package, when I still said "no thanks" they gave me it for £7.50...
I'll give you £8.00 for it
Old 28 July 2006, 06:50 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Fair point, I should imagine the Sky empire would come crashing to it's knees if we demanded a free 2nd hand refurbed box!
Oddly enough if more people woke up to what utter ***** Sky and NI are and how they plan to bloodsuck and buttfcuk you and your children for the rest of your natural lives while you smile and take it up the *** like happy ******, begging for more, their business would be up sh1tcreek.
Meanwhile turgid, vapid saps like you lap it up like rats in a dungheap.
Old 28 July 2006, 07:52 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Let me know how you get on witht he box from simplydigital, as i'm considering buying one from them myself - my sky+ box is playing up a lot too.

Rabid - still waiting on you making a constructive informative post that adds something to the debate - I won't hold my breath on that one i reckon!
Old 28 July 2006, 09:34 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by oobster

Rabid - still waiting on you making a constructive informative post that adds something to the debate - I won't hold my breath on that one i reckon!
I already did, how to get a free replacement ad infinitum and the knowledge that if you pay SKY for their 'service' you're a dumb ***.
Old 28 July 2006, 11:53 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Anyone know if there was software upgrade on Tuesday night? My sky+ Pace 80gig box is now stuck in standby. Have tried the usual unplug at the mains, and have even forced a software update by holding in the backup button and unplugging / plugging back in, but still get that red light.

Sky can't offer any more advice, and suggested I contact the local dealer that I bought the box from. The dealer is aware there was also a storm that night and is claiming the box is storm damaged which is not covered by the warranty.

So where to now? Had been planning on getting HD and putting the sky+ box in the bedroom to replace the older sky box.

It sounds to me that I could end up spending a few hundred quid on replacement boxes only for sky to bollox them up with one of their fabulous software upgrades, or the next storm to fry the lot!
Old 29 July 2006, 12:21 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

No No, sky is good, please don't complain and pay full fee, they are really worth it....

Well, until I sell my shares, then you can tell them what you think