Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not as good as Naim SL2s
Old 24 July 2006, 12:42 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Wilson Puppies are good but bobbin on now..........Go and have a listen to the new generation transducers that are coming through now.........Just awesome..
Old 24 July 2006, 07:42 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Not as good as Krell Resolution either

fatscoobyfella, what sort of speakers "coming through" did you have in mind?
Old 24 July 2006, 08:06 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Not as good as Krell Resolution either

fatscoobyfella, what sort of speakers "coming through" did you have in mind?

Have a look on here mate..If your into high end stuff,try and get a demo on the 103 zerobox active.Never heard anything like them before,and ive heard many £30k+ systems

http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/

Sorry bout that fella........

Last edited by fatscoobyfella; 24 July 2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 24 July 2006, 08:08 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool. Got a link?

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2006, 08:11 AM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

It's a shame Apogee are no more. Their full range ribbons were awesome speakers.
Old 24 July 2006, 08:17 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
It's a shame Apogee are no more. Their full range ribbons were awesome speakers.
If ya like ribbons,have your heard the big Lowthers?? Only heard them at a show once,but sounded nice,think they stood around 7ft tho !!
Old 24 July 2006, 08:18 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Look nice. I vowed once i'd got my Resolutions that it would be the final step down the speaker path for me, well unless a decent pair of LAT-1s ever popped up...
Old 24 July 2006, 08:19 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Look nice. I vowed once i'd got my Resolutions that it would be the final step down the speaker path for me, well unless a decent pair of LAT-1s ever popped up...

Yea..Never actually heard a set of revolutions.What front end do you use?
Old 24 July 2006, 08:21 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Mark Levinson Reference 30.5/31.5 and Chord Electronics CPA4000E/SPM1400E, Roksan Xerxes/DSP5.1.
Old 24 July 2006, 08:27 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Mark Levinson Reference 30.5/31.5 and Chord Electronics CPA4000E/SPM1400E, Roksan Xerxes/DSP5.1.

Nice line up that......

How do you find the chord stuff?
i have heard a line up,only at a show mind you..

And the Roksan...I used to have one myself,around the late 80's..I could be very wrong but i think they were just being introduced then.??

Were the revolutions about £10k new?
Old 24 July 2006, 08:31 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

The Chords are fantastic, all the power you need with superb control. All i've ever needed from amplifiers. The Xerxes was introduced in 1985 i think, given that mine is last year's "20", signifying 20th anniversary edition. With the Artemiz and a Kontraplunkt C it's very effective, at least as good as the MLs. And yes, they were.
Old 24 July 2006, 08:51 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

heres one for telboy then
my mate owns the independent hifi store i used to work in and they had an open day at the beginning of the month, this being one of the star attractions..

(pics are crap, taken on a camera phone..)
first listening to it, i was mildly dissapointed, it seemed very congested, totally lacking in emotion with no real attack. the problem being the power conditioners, which do not work at all well with chord. once they were taken out..my god impossible to describe, other thatn the finest 2 channel system i have listened to, but then at the thick end of 80k it really should be..
Old 24 July 2006, 08:58 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I have to be honest, as a previous B&W owner, i really prefer the Krell sound. Nautilus is a great idea, but they're gits to partner correctly especially on the amplifier side, and they need a lot of surrounding space to work to the top of their abilities. Not convinced, but then i dissed some top flight Martin Logans too so maybe it's just my ears!!
Old 24 July 2006, 10:48 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'm still doing the maths for the drivers on my own transmission lines
Old 24 July 2006, 11:18 AM
shug
Scooby Regular

A bargain to be had for someone

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-15-Pres...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 24 July 2006, 12:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They may sound nice but does anyone else think they look like minature coffins ?

I am just jealous as any ideas of hifi I had ended with getting married.
Old 24 July 2006, 04:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Call me a flat earther...but to truly be amazed try...

CD555
Hiline interconnect
Naim 552 Preamp
Biamped NAP 500s
Naim SL2 speakers

The only way to get closer in terms of drive, transparency, musicality and dynamism, control is to be in the centre of the first row on opening night

Truly astonishing system - better than any other system I have heard up to £190k (Absolute Sounds reference system - truly wonderful sonically but not musical to my ears!).

Rannoch
Old 24 July 2006, 04:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But you either like Naim or you don't, from my experience. Like you said, £190k doesn't automatically buy a system that is better than all others - beyond a certain point it's more down to personal taste than anything, and knowing when to stop when you've reached that point - that's the difficult bit!!
Old 24 July 2006, 05:34 PM
BazH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Call me a flat earther...but to truly be amazed try...

CD555
Hiline interconnect
Naim 552 Preamp
Biamped NAP 500s
Naim SL2 speakers

The only way to get closer in terms of drive, transparency, musicality and dynamism, control is to be in the centre of the first row on opening night

Truly astonishing system - better than any other system I have heard up to £190k (Absolute Sounds reference system - truly wonderful sonically but not musical to my ears!).

Rannoch
I had to leave the room when i heard this setup myself, whether it was the room or the way it was setup is open for discussion but it was so forward/bright i had to leave the demo room before my ears bled. Hifi is such a personal taste thing though, everybody likes different things.
Old 24 July 2006, 05:44 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Now they are damn ugly sumbitches.........
Old 24 July 2006, 06:01 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

There are a few serious auduophiles on here by the look of it !!

Has any of you ever heard a Bending wave transducer speaker instead of the traditional "push/pull" piston type??The difference is truly astonishing,the soundstage that is created is spectacular..

Again though,like has been said,Hi end audio is so objective.Its a viscious spiral to find that perfect sound for "your" ears.Then you find something that sounds different,but better..Then you start again!!!
Old 24 July 2006, 10:57 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BazH
I had to leave the room when i heard this setup myself, whether it was the room or the way it was setup is open for discussion but it was so forward/bright i had to leave the demo room before my ears bled. Hifi is such a personal taste thing though, everybody likes different things.

This does not surprise me - for three reasons.

The first one is an odd one - Naim tend to use production line gear for demos. And without being run in it does sound very bright.

Secondly Naim can sound forward - however go to a live music event and compare it to most hifi and you then realise how much transient information is simply not there, or the detail in the upper mid band/treble where Naim can sound more prominent than some.

Speakers make a huge difference - take the same system as mentioned above and stick on some big diamond nautilus style B&Ws and it will sound very, very bass heavy and even leaden, if still loaded with detail.

Naim speakers retain very tight control.

Thirdly, most cds are mixed on systems with small speakers (so they sound good on most car/midi systems) or for the more serious, Spendor or Rogers monitors. The latter will sound quite dull in the upper mid and treble so the forwardness is mixed into to the balance. The wider the window to a recording is opened the more of the recording artefacts you can hear!

At the end of the day personal taste and wallet dictate what we all like. For some nothing less than a silver wired £50k 12 watt valve amplifier with horn loaded speakers will do (and that is excellent). For others it will be a stack of Krells and a pair of $150,000 Avalons or for the more modest a decent Rega/Nad system from the good old days!

My view of Naim is let your ears adjust and the rewards are stupendous!

Rannoch
Old 25 July 2006, 12:45 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Gotta say Rannoch,ive had Naim stuff for years,it is bright,tight and a little zingy.It does cal down a little,but not much.I have found though,to make any considerable leap in quality,i have to shell out pots of cash...Im just not prepared to do it..

Plus the fact,2 close friends have £40k+ line ups so i can go to audio nirvana quite easily..
Old 27 July 2006, 08:11 PM
BazH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
This does not surprise me - for three reasons.

The first one is an odd one - Naim tend to use production line gear for demos. And without being run in it does sound very bright.

Secondly Naim can sound forward - however go to a live music event and compare it to most hifi and you then realise how much transient information is simply not there, or the detail in the upper mid band/treble where Naim can sound more prominent than some.

Speakers make a huge difference - take the same system as mentioned above and stick on some big diamond nautilus style B&Ws and it will sound very, very bass heavy and even leaden, if still loaded with detail.

Naim speakers retain very tight control.

Thirdly, most cds are mixed on systems with small speakers (so they sound good on most car/midi systems) or for the more serious, Spendor or Rogers monitors. The latter will sound quite dull in the upper mid and treble so the forwardness is mixed into to the balance. The wider the window to a recording is opened the more of the recording artefacts you can hear!

At the end of the day personal taste and wallet dictate what we all like. For some nothing less than a silver wired £50k 12 watt valve amplifier with horn loaded speakers will do (and that is excellent). For others it will be a stack of Krells and a pair of $150,000 Avalons or for the more modest a decent Rega/Nad system from the good old days!

My view of Naim is let your ears adjust and the rewards are stupendous!

Rannoch
I'll stick with my 861se AND BIG FAT B&W nautilus with the diamonds a wee while yet then