Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jobs and hair

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 06:02 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jobs and hair

As British employers do we frown on skinheads?

I've always had short hair but at 23 its got to a point were spending 20 minutes making it straight with gel and effort is too much.. so I shaved it off. Now I look a **** obviously, but do you think this will hinder my attemps at employment, ignoring my CV and qualifications.

My hair line is some what high so I think attempting to hide it was a bit sad! (people mentioned it, its not moving, its always been high, but when one person noticed..)

Would you be put off by some with the right skills but no hair

In my position I wouldnt be, but I work for ASDA and hire people to be workers not look good. I hire the nights, the people the public don't see!
Old 20 July 2006, 07:04 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hair, or lack of wouldn't really put me off employing someone, unless its some bright day-glo colour or some extreme punk style and the jobs was involving customers - don't want to scare them off LOL. Same goes for the ones who don't make an attempt and don't bother keeping it tidy.

But then, if they were working behind the scenes, it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 20 July 2006, 07:25 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

i would think employers would be glad to see neat and tidy hair. in this heat no one can blame you for shaving it off
Old 20 July 2006, 07:25 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Hair, or lack of wouldn't really put me off employing someone, unless its some bright day-glo colour or some extreme punk style and the jobs was involving customers - don't want to scare them off LOL. Same goes for the ones who don't make an attempt and don't bother keeping it tidy.

But then, if they were working behind the scenes, it wouldn't be a problem.
I agree. And body jewellery can be more of a put off too
Old 20 July 2006, 07:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I'm a climber too so it was getting all wet and annoying and probably look worse than now. It only my hair line that makes me feel bad about it.. not really a self believer if you cant already tell !
Old 20 July 2006, 07:51 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Hairy armpits are worse than a hairless head
Old 20 July 2006, 07:56 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Can't see it being a problem at all - there's plenty of bald old blokes out there, and most of them seem to be on the Board of Directors!

Anyway - I believe hairstyle is covered by the Human Rights Act - Freedom of Expression - so if anyone did discriminate you could probably sue them for millions of pounds!
Old 20 July 2006, 08:47 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Although...

At my old place of work, one of the senior managers hired this lovely girl of about 20. She was very pretty and had beautiful flowing locks of brown hair... In the interview...

... She was offered the job, turned up to work on the first day and interestingly, she seemed to look a lot paler than she did in the interview. Most people ignored it at first and commented on her pretty jewellery that festooned her hands, ears and neck. She sat dows and took off her hat and her coat. Then with what I've been assured could only be described as a 'flourish' she whipped of her hair to reveal a nice, shiny bald head...

Now a goth in the office is always a tricky situation - everyone knows it's a problem but no-one quite knows why or what to do about it.

The bit I find most amusing is the apparent look on the face of the manager who employed her as he walked into the room, saw the flourescent light bouncing off her head, mumbled something about "hearing a phone ringing somewhere" and ambled out again.

That was her first and last day - I'm not sure whether she was asked to leave or whether she left out of embarrassment.

I do know that the manager who hired her did NOT find it funny when we hung a big brown wig just inside the door to his office so that when he walked through the door into his office before switching the lights on, he was ambushed...
Old 20 July 2006, 08:50 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

LOL!!!! That one has made my day so far!!!

Ambushed by a wig!!!!!! LOL!!
Old 20 July 2006, 09:13 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I've shaved my head with "bareblade" dubbers every fortnight for 14 years and only in one place of employment did it cause an issue.
That was at the Natwest Bank where the draconian witch of a manageress told me it wasnt suitable. I told her respectfully that I liked it and it wouldnt change plus I was emulating the great Eric Cantona (who's hair was of similar style at the time). There was little she could do, but I chose to move on within a few months.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:16 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Why does it matter what she looked like? Could she do the job? If a job is office based with no customer contact, why the hell does it matter?
Old 20 July 2006, 09:20 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

none of you work in the front office investment world then?

although they try not to appear to discriminate, pieces of metal in your head and shaved heads (no. 2 or less) probably won't get you into a senior role.

anyone here with a shaven head and/or rings/studs and earn more than 40K and don't work for themselves?
Old 20 July 2006, 09:31 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

40k up north or down south 40k up north is more than the total income of some northern towns
40k down south is what a street sweeper earns part time
Old 20 July 2006, 09:37 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ChefDude

although they try not to appear to discriminate, pieces of metal in your head and shaved heads (no. 2 or less) probably won't get you into a senior role.

anyone here with a shaven head and/or rings/studs and earn more than 40K and don't work for themselves?
Yep, I do........ some of my best staff are 'INDIVIDUALS' and worth 10 of your slimey front office nerd types..... <shudders at thought of your nerdy workers>....
Old 20 July 2006, 09:43 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

so you have a requirement for an employee to be responsible for 10s of millions of euros and you'd hire a skin head with **** in his face?

I'm not a nerd
Old 20 July 2006, 09:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I know it illegal to not hire someone based on their hair, but they might think of other ways.. I know I have when someone has been just too smelly or just too fat!
Legally I have to say sorry you didnt make the grade... I have to make these people fit in

before you fat smelly people kick off, fat means slower worker.. no question, and smelly well.. thats obvious
Old 20 July 2006, 09:51 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I do, but i wouldn't say hairstyle has much to do with getting on in the industry, as reputation counts for more. It might however hinder your chances of getting in the door in the first place, that's just the way it is.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:54 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

so you have a requirement for an employee to be responsible for 10s of millions of euros and you'd hire a skin head with **** in his face?

I'm not a nerd
No, I would hire 'somebody qualified' for that post.... if the applicant had a skin head and tattoo's it wouldn't bother me one little jot......

You are surrounded by a sea of nerds......... lifeless, K90 listening, little nerds.....
Old 20 July 2006, 09:56 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

**** off DCI if you're going to be a **** about it, ok?
Old 20 July 2006, 09:57 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I know it illegal to not hire someone based on their hair, but they might think of other ways.. I know I have when someone has been just too smelly or just too fat!
Legally I have to say sorry you didnt make the grade... I have to make these people fit in

before you fat smelly people kick off, fat means slower worker.. no question, and smelly well.. thats obvious
An ASDA employment person, most ASDA urks are fat, smelly and retarted......... hang on, that's no fair!............

ALL ASDA workers are fat and smelly...........
Old 20 July 2006, 09:58 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TelBoy
**** off DCI if you're going to be a **** about it, ok?
And you are? errr.... nobody...... so I suggest you 'do-one' loser........
Old 20 July 2006, 10:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
An ASDA employment person, most ASDA urks are fat, smelly and retarted......... hang on, that's no fair!............

ALL ASDA workers are fat and smelly...........
Not on my night shift they aint !
Old 20 July 2006, 10:19 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i take it this thread's gone to the dogs then lol
Old 20 July 2006, 10:20 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Not on my night shift they aint !
Oh I beg to differ............... your standards, as an employee of ASDA are somewhat questionable anyway, so to be fair you probably believe that the fat and smelly blobs you employ are actually 'fit birds'...........

Whereas, they are in fact 'fat-birds'............
Old 20 July 2006, 10:37 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

I only frown on a skinhead if it has its top off and is pushing a pram down the town centre with a *** in its gob on the way to the job centre to sign on

otherwise who cares...ginger nuts are far worse to work with

one doctor refused to operate on ginger ppl since he said they stink from the inside out

Ancient chinese motto my mum taught me when i popped out her womb
'ginger pube...smell f@nny'

My grandads last words as he left this world were
'never go down on a ginger'

Case dismissed.....next!!
Old 20 July 2006, 10:55 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Puts hand up

I cut my hair using an unguarded trimmer. However I don't have much on top so prefer it that way.

Recently I was abroad on a work related course and my hair had grown a fair bit (round the sides). The lack of trimer meant I was forced to shave it off smooth, by the time I got home it was like a normal cut
Old 20 July 2006, 11:53 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

A few years ago on holiday with the lads, I woke with a massive clump of hair missing from my crown, obviously – I had no choice but to shave it all off, with the intention of growing it back.

I managed to get it back to a number 2 – then it started annoying me, so I decided to strip it right down to a 0.5 – the clippers I use now are 0.3 – which suits me – just a pain in the **** having to shave it every 3 days to keep it this short

It’s never caused any problems going for interviews or getting jobs, I think most employers go by a person’s professionalism, and overall appearance (suit, shirt & tie etc.) at interview stage, not specifically taking one detail (of no hair) into account

I have quite a strong hair line, so I think it’s obvious to anyone that I’m not a complete nutter, although saying that

1. I’m not exactly small (build)
2. I’ve worked pub/club doors
3. I’ve a boxing/weight training background

With the above 3 points set aside – I am a very placid person!

It’s all down to perception – My outlook “I cant be arsed with people who have no time for me” So if I was to be rejected for a job, it’s their loss not mine

Last edited by RMA26; 20 July 2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:19 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told at an interview that unless I cut my hair (long time ago - pony tail!) and shaved off my beard that I wouldn't get a second interview. I told him he was right and walked out there and then.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:34 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Technically no - but then I am a girl! I quite easily fall into that earnings category and have in the past regulalry turned up for work with pink hair. I don't conform dress wise if I can help it and am often mildly rapped on the knuckles for not conforming to 'the norm' behaviourly - generally when my laid back hippy tendencies and general over exhuberence get too much for someone!

For the job I currently have I turned up for the interview in a long flowing skirt, ankle chains and flip flops - and I work for a firm of solicitors in a "senior management role". I figured they should know what they were getting from the start - I wouldn't have wanted to work here if I'd had to wear a dark suit......

However I do a good job, have always gotten regular pay rises, promotions, good appraisals and great references. I remember one of my previous bosses moaning at me for not conforming dress wise whilst saying how great my work was. At the same time she moaned about another person who dressed impeccably but was ****e at her job. I wasn't customer facing - why the **** did it matter?

People put waaaaaayyyy too much emphasis on appearance.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:43 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Now a goth in the office is always a tricky situation - everyone knows it's a problem but no-one quite knows why or what to do about it.
not where i work it isn't

Quick Reply: Jobs and hair