Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fridge problem - any experts?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2006, 09:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fridge problem - any experts?

We have a built-in fridge freezer, which came with the house and is probably about 8 years old.

The fridge compartment is supposed to self-defrost, but that's never worked in the time we've had it. A big block of ice builds up at the back, which I periodically have to remove.

I defrosted it yesterday and left a thermometer in there overnight. This morning it read 11 deg C, far too warm. So, it's time for repair or replacement.

Given that a new built-in type that fits the space would be about £600, I'd prefer to get the old one fixed, provided it's economical and likely to last a reasonable amount of time afterwards.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it, and what would be involved in putting it right?

Ta
Andy
Old 10 July 2006, 09:43 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Simplest thing that goes wrong with fridges is the thermostat goes **** up. Relatively cheap to replace.

Worst case scenario is the compressor.........often cheaper to replace the whole thing.

Oh, and if it wasn't defrosting, did you check that the drains were all clear?

Personally, I HATE built in appliances. Twice the price for an appliance without the outer casing? I think NOT Ripped our built in dishwasher out when it packed up, and replaced it with a free standing one.

Alcazar
Old 10 July 2006, 09:48 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

we're having the same problems with the chiller at work for the soft drinks... guy came out to check it last week and told us the compressor had gone... cost about £500 to replace

a week on, and we're still waiting for a repair or a replacement chiller... no one wants to buy warm minerals in this weather !!!!

i'd deffo get someone to check your fridge out first before you come to any decisions tho!
Old 10 July 2006, 09:56 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Yep, I'm an EXPERT........ and it sounds to me like your fridge is FOOKED...
Old 10 July 2006, 11:30 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If its built in as in intergrated (i.e matching doors to your kitchen cupboards)

Chances are it has a condensor fan.

This blocks up with fluff and seizes. This reduces the cooling capacity of the evaporator and creates excessive heat bulild up underneath, ending up with the fridge runing 24/7 but not doing anything productive in terms of cooling - all ours did was create a block of ice at the top right corner..

I did ours last month...need to do every 5 years or so. 16 years old and still going This is what the fan looked like 5 years after the last clean and lube after it seized up again:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/19006264434.jpg&s=f10

First check the compressor runs to rule it out. (i.e can you hear it - bear in mind you must wait at least 3 mins before turning back on as it won't start and just flick the thermal cut out).

If the compressor runs ok, then the fault is elsewhere, and its likely to be the fan (presuming it has one). If yours hasn't been done for 10years it's probably alot worse! Easy to fix if your handy with the screwdriver. Check it works, if not Remove it, unseize it, Vacuum it out (do the condensor coil too) and lubricate the bearings with a bit of 3-in one oil. This normally fixes it.

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 July 2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10 July 2006, 11:50 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you plug it back in after defrosting it?

If it has given up the ghost then it may well be cheaper to buy a new one but then getting rid of the old one will be a nightmare due to all the wretched EU regulations!
Old 10 July 2006, 11:58 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
getting rid of the old one will be a nightmare due to all the wretched EU regulations!

shouldnt be...my local council collected mine within 2 days for £20
Old 10 July 2006, 12:10 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Our new(ish) fridge freezer went with a bang last night.Not the fuse.That was the limit of my technical abilities to check that.

Repair man coming wednesday.Bit late to save stuff but oh well.
Old 10 July 2006, 01:00 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
If the compressor runs ok, then the fault is elsewhere, and its likely to be the fan (presuming it has one). If yours hasn't been done for 10years it's probably alot worse! Easy to fix if your handy with the screwdriver. Check it works, if not Remove it, unseize it, Vacuum it out (do the condensor coil too) and lubricate the bearings with a bit of 3-in one oil. This normally fixes it.
That's great - thanks very much for that. I'm a professional electronic engineer, so pretty handy with a screwdriver

Fingers crossed that it's something straightforward, the washing machine packed up last month so my domestic appliance budget is a bit low right now!
Old 10 July 2006, 01:36 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

£500 quid for an integrated fridge? You're having a larf. I've kitted one of my houses out with integrated fridge and separate freezer for £200 a piece. Might not be top names but 3 years on no problems...

http://www.apollo2000.co.uk

Last edited by brumdaisy; 10 July 2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10 July 2006, 01:49 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

We had to have the gas re-charged on ours ~£50. Check that there is adequate ventilation. When we moved in we had newspaper on top of the fridge freezer blocking the vent I cut a hole in the plinth and covered with a grille (~£5 from B&Q) to encourage a flow of air. All much cheaper than a new fridge
Old 10 July 2006, 02:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i need a door seal for the one at home, and cant find one anywhere

the "universal" ones don't really appeal

tempted to swap fridges with the one at the carwash TBH
Old 10 July 2006, 07:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
£500 quid for an integrated fridge? You're having a larf. I've kitted one of my houses out with integrated fridge and separate freezer for £200 a piece. Might not be top names but 3 years on no problems...
It's a fridge-freezer, and I'd rather pay £500 for a decent German-made unit than a combined £400 for a budget brand. I've never regretted buying German appliances.

I've just had a listen, the compressor is definitely running but there's also a periodic 'swoosh' every 5 seconds or so which doesn't seem right. The freezer section is OK, so I can't believe it's anything too serious, though.

I guess I've no choice but to pull it out and clean/lubricate everything I can get at
Old 10 July 2006, 07:32 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Swoosh every 5 seconds is fine - it's a good sign! It means there is at least some some refrigerant in there and it hasn't all leaked out, also it means the capillary isn't totally blocked and the compressor is building some pressure.

BTW if you try to work on it, keep it upright and don't tip it more than 45 degrees.
Old 10 July 2006, 08:44 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Make sure you arent drunk when you try to fix it!

Several years ago, late on Xmas eve I noticed the fridge hadnt been running for a long time and was getting warm.
Tons of Xmas food and no chance of an engineer or a new fridge for a couple of days. Nightmare.

Rather drunk, I pulled the fridge out and started some ill-advised prodding with the multimeter. A huge flash and bang told me there was infact power to the compressor, but the subsequent vapourisation of the ends of my multimeter leads rendered further testing impossible. Plus, the burns on my arm from the molten metal were starting to hurt.

Surprisingly, the fridge kicked into life when I did that and provided a good few years service.
Old 10 July 2006, 08:57 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lol
Old 13 July 2006, 08:44 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

OK, so I've pulled it out from the cupboard...

It's surprisingly clean. There's no obvious fan.

The compressor unit is sealed, and it's really hot. The coils are quite cool, though.

That seems the wrong way round to me, so I guess that means the compressor is knackered. Any other suggestions before it goes down the tip?
Old 13 July 2006, 11:03 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It's normal for a compressor to get too hot to touch.

If its got no fan and the coils at the back/underneath aren't getting too hot there is nothing else really that can be checked out barring door seals

If it doesn't get to down to a decent temperature within 24hours with the thermostat set on max, chuck it.

Last edited by Shark Man; 13 July 2006 at 11:16 PM.