Widescreen TV

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 10:25 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Widescreen is total rubbish . . . . .
I`m suprised that so many consumers are stupid enough to buy them. Images are totally distorted, lots of short fat people with squashed faces.

I`m just amazed how gullible people are when it comes to marketing!

Mind you I saw some video footage of my Scooby on a friends widescreen telly the other day, must admit it improved the shape of it!

SCOOP

[Edited by SCOOP - 11/6/2001 10:26:16 AM]
Old 11 September 2001, 10:16 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

people here & the us still not comfortable with the format. Most studios when they produce films do so with DVD in mind. They are a bit unsure at the moment (inside info) because of public concern & the US public preference to rent rather than buy.

But I do hope its all a bit of hysteria.

[Edited by InvisibleMan - 11/9/2001 10:18:23 PM]
Old 06 November 2001, 08:55 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
[rant]

Who on here finds people watching TV in Justify or Smart or whatver the manufacturers call it offensive? I want to start a campaign outlawing the watching of programmes in stretchyvision, circles are supposed to be round!!

[/rant]
Old 06 November 2001, 09:49 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Agreed, hell I don't want to switch my normal (4:3) format TV to widescreen (letterbox) to see things correctly proportioned, don't like widescreen at all.

IC
Old 06 November 2001, 10:47 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Only channel 4 and E4 seem to bother broadcasting their stuff in widescreen, which is both good and worthwhile. Plus you need a ws telly for DVDs n that.
But if it's not broadcasted in it then it's strech-a-rama time.
Old 06 November 2001, 01:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If it's not broadcast in Letterbox or 16:9 then I set my TV to 4:3. It's people who distort the image so as not to 'waste' the extra inches on screen that bug me, people are even getting used to it. I can't watch the screen, it makes me feel sick seeing peoples heads go from fat to normal back to fat again as they move across the screen.
Old 06 November 2001, 11:01 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

try watching vanessa feltz on my widescreen jeeeeeeeeeesus

arghhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 06 November 2001, 11:29 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i believe i'm right in saying...
watch normal tv on 4:3 so looks 21" on a 28"
WS 1:85 full screen
WS 2:35 true full widescreen - has little black bars
Old 07 November 2001, 09:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

"watch normal tv on 4:3 so looks 21" on a 28" that's the one that my friends can't get along with, "But I payed extra for the wider screen, why should I waste the inches" Ahhhggggh!!! Not many things wind me up, sorry!! If enough people watch Eastenders in strechovision real people will start to look strange.
Old 08 November 2001, 08:57 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Jack
Chill
Ever played splitscreen Colin Mcrae 2 on a 36" widescreen, its like having a telly each
Niiiice
Old 09 November 2001, 08:40 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Funkii, I'm way up for that - if the TV is in Wide/Full mode.
Try playing the same game in Strechorama, the width of the car will change as it moves across the screen. I should shut up.
Old 09 November 2001, 09:04 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

???

The smart mode on our Sony seems quite good?

Failing that, go digital as that's all broadcast in widescreen now. (We're still using an aerial, and Smart mode, and it isn't that bad)
Old 09 November 2001, 04:48 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

I've got a 4:3 that has a variable focus so you don't loose scan lines on letterbox...

Pretty kewl stuff

But it's a no win situation unless you have a proper cinema screen with adjustable masking for all formats and a good projector that can swap formats w/out losing quality

Now where's that bl00dy lotto cheque?
Old 09 November 2001, 05:03 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

I can appreciate people being p'ed off with normal aspect television broadcasts on a WS TV, but no movie fan would say that WS was a "marketing ploy".

IMHO the best solution is to get a large normal aspect TV - ie. 41" Sony rear projection. That way you still get a 36" widescreen. For as long as normal aspect lasts anyway.... which aint going to be long now the US has finally got in on the act.

Deano

Old 09 November 2001, 05:11 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

hmmmm, not what i'm hearing. People in the US dont like WS esp in the DVD format. Plans for a change...
Old 09 November 2001, 06:27 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

The US does traditionally hate WS, but the incredible take up of DVD means that sets are finally starting to leave the shops in huge numbers. DVD isn't going to go with anything but widescreen - the format is tied up with the studios and there's no way they're going to keep converting their films to normal aspect, particularly once they get the cinemas geared up for full digital presentation and the conversion to DVD becomes automatic. Video as a release medium will soon be dead - how many studios are going to keep releasing when the margins on VHS is so low? Then there's HDTV - a bit of a white elephant but only planned in 16:9.

I honestly believe there won't be normal aspect TVs for much longer . Plasma/flat panel is the latest display technology, but none of the big players seem to have room sized 4:3 sets available or planned and their conventional ranges are now heavily biased towards WS, except for the small/portable market which probably won't change for years.

Old 10 November 2001, 09:55 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Justify and smart modes on TV are supposed to detect when a true wide screen signal is being played and adjust the format. Zoom takes a 4:3 picture and streches it to fit the 16:9 screen.

Strechorama, LOL.

If the source material is in Widescreen and you have your decoder set to 16:9 the picture should be perfect. The trouble is when you have adverts,etc. It all really depends on what format the broadcasters are sending out.

Someone has said that all sky channels are in widescreen, that's not strictly true. The have a mixture, same with the cable companies.

What I find annoying is the bloody offair channels, switching from 16:9 to 4:3 and back again. Sometimes you have black lines on the top and bottom, and on the sides...... On the news this can be a couple of times in the space of 1/2 hour.

As someone else has mentioned play a WS DVD or have your PS2 setup on WS and a circle will be a circle.

Cheers Phill C