Crime in SA

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2006, 08:59 AM
RX--Russ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Crime in SA

http://www.crimexposouthafrica.co.za

New Site launched to discourage tourists from coming over here, Just a heads up to anyone who might like to be murdered raped or mugged.

We run a two for one special on hijackings on fridays.

Tell everyone about site so that people can know what a useless government we have and ultimatly something gets done.
Old 07 July 2006, 09:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

So HOW ON EARTH did you get the next world cup????

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2006, 09:03 AM
RX--Russ
Scooby Regular

No Idea, ...maybe FIFA is as stoopid as our politicians. The site is up to get the 2010 World Cup taken away from SA. I would be ashamed of having to explain to tourists why their cousin was attacked with a hammer for a cell phone.

This is an attempt to open FIFA's eyes.

...I just live here
Old 07 July 2006, 09:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Why IS there so much crime?

I had heard that SA was the "rape capital" of the world with someone being raped every thirty seconds, (I won't make the obvious "joke" here). And that many, many rapes are compounded with mutilations, gang rapes, and partners being forced to watch

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2006, 09:07 AM
sociopath
BANNED

That's what you get when you have bla... I mean criminals, running the show
Old 07 July 2006, 09:10 AM
RX--Russ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sociopath
That's what you get when you have bla... I mean criminals, running the show

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* *cough* yeah you right. . Our country is full of corrupt bla...... uh criminals.

You must have been here at some stage? hehehe.
Old 07 July 2006, 09:11 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by alcazar
So HOW ON EARTH did you get the next world cup????

Alcazar

Politics
FIFA decided it must be in Africa, and in comparison to Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone ,etc, South Africa IS safe
Old 07 July 2006, 09:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Politics
FIFA decided it must be in Africa, and in comparison to Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone ,etc, South Africa IS safe
But what of places like Egypt? Tunisia? Algeria? Aren't they safer?

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2006, 09:29 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Is it really that bad then? I am currently thinking about relocating there (Durban area), and from recent holidays, it feels like a country on the up. The government seem to be working hard to get people in jobs, and trying to instill a sense of pride in the people, something UK could really do with.

I know there are areas with high crime, but so are there here, and if you're relatively dilligent about your safety, you should be okay.
I mean, you wouldnt walk around parts of London with your cell phone in your hand, or you'll get stabbed for it, so how is SA so different? surely common sense provides the most security?

I have been twice for a number of weeks in the past two years, both in the Durban area, and things seemed very positive and safe overall, and I think SA deserve the World Cup.
Id much rather have the current goverment in place, rather than a bunch of racist pigs who decided that the colour of someones skin makes them a lesser citizen, and from being there about 10 years ago to now, things seem like they've improved.

One thing that struck me, is for all their poverty, the black people have a strong sense of pride and positivity (im talking majority here, not the criminal minority). You try telling UK kids to put a school uniform on and walk ten miles to get to school, then come home to poverty, and still be expected to help around the house, and do their homework, the number of kids going to school in these conditions was a hundred times that of what it was ten years ago, I was very impressed. UK kids would moan, slump down, and complain about getting their Nikes dirty if they had to walk to school, instead of being driven there by mummy in her enormous BMW 4x4.

I think you need to put things in context. I know there is violent crime, but those figures are easy to manipulate, as a lot of the figures relate to the townships, not places football fans would go. The policing will be enormous, SA is currently trying to establish itself as a holiday destination, and they wont let crime ruin that image.

SA is a country in change, but its also an amazing place, my favorite place on the planet, just for the ruggness, and its a taste of real life, where its not all cotton wooled, you live by your witts.

I know its got a lot of problems, but hopefully a certain amlunt of diligence will for the most part keep people safe. I think given time, SA will be a brilliant country, and hosting something like the World Cup will allow ltos of areas to develope, and generate a lot of money and jobs.

PS: I know every south african has his "so and so was shot, my brothers mate was killed etc etc", its not exactly Disney Land I know, but I also dont think its the crime riddled deadly place to live people make out.
Old 07 July 2006, 09:29 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

World Superbikes round at Welkom has been cancelled because SBK International weren't prepared to put the teams to such a risk...

Shame because it's a great circuit and very safe. It's just the outside that's the problem

SB
Old 07 July 2006, 09:45 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Sbradley
World Superbikes round at Welkom has been cancelled because SBK International weren't prepared to put the teams to such a risk...

Shame because it's a great circuit and very safe. It's just the outside that's the problem

SB
Bunch of girls............
Old 07 July 2006, 09:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX--Russ
No Idea, ...maybe FIFA is as stoopid as our politicians. The site is up to get the 2010 World Cup taken away from SA. I would be ashamed of having to explain to tourists why their cousin was attacked with a hammer for a cell phone.

This is an attempt to open FIFA's eyes.

...I just live here

cant see your attitude helps , much
Old 07 July 2006, 09:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Bunch of girls............

this from a limp-wrister...
Old 07 July 2006, 09:53 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
But what of places like Egypt? Tunisia? Algeria? Aren't they safer?

Alcazar
Or better still Morrocco - I could get the ferry across and back every day to watch the games! (I can see Morrocco on a clear day from my roof terrace!)

Seriously though, I've never been to SA but know plenty who have. SideShowBob could be right when he says all areas have problems. I was brought up in Brixton and saw a lot of things there but before leaving the UK lived in Tunbridge Wells for a few years and to be honest, there's certain areas there I didn't feel particulary safe in at night. Spain too - there's major problems on our Costa with guns and particulary knives where all 'yoooooff' seem to feel obliged to carry one.

The world is not a safe place anymore, and whilst many areas are better or worse than others, my experience is no where is any longer exempt from major crime

R
Old 07 July 2006, 09:56 AM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Some family friends of ours moved to SA about 25 years ago, one of them was killed in a car jacking last year.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:15 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default :rolleyes:

I see you're from Centurion. For those who don't know, this was called until recently Verwoerdburg or Verwoerd's town after the Afrikaner hero (oh yes, and the genius who gave us Apartheid ....). A high proprotion of the people who live there work in the afrikaner dominated parastatals (civil service) and the nearby military bases. Just to give you a feel for the area....the sort of people who think that it's funny or clever to say " Blac...criminals...".

The current government is definitely no worse than any of the white dominated predecessors (which still isn't high praise) and occupies a significantly higher place in the moral world. A huge proportion of the crimes are black on black - not to excuse that for a second, but to explain things - and occur in the remnants of the townships such as Soweto, or Khayelitsha etc, where they were all forcibly moved to and dumped back in the 60's. I would defy anybody force dto live in such a place and denied entry to any real education or job prospects not to succumb to gang warfare.

You have to ask yourself what any government would or could do to fix it immediately. In the meantime your economy has never been stronger than since the ANC came into power and is certainly far outperforming the last 20- 30 years of the Nat Party government performance.

Pretty much all the South Africans i knew there who left after the ANC to power came "because it was going to be a disaster with these bla...criminals running the country" moved to places like London and then a couple of years later moved back as they couldn't stand having their houses broken into regularly and their car stereos nicked again or being mugged, etc. Admittedly if you get unlucky in SA you may get seriously unlucky but the general atmosphere in most parts of SA is no worse and in fact better than a lot of the UK.

Durban is a nice place to live - for the poster who's going to move there - like all big cities it has it's go and no go place, but overall it has a nice (if ferkin hot and humid) atmosphere.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:36 AM
RX--Russ
Scooby Regular

No offence meant to anyone, but for all the ppl who have this sunny disposition about SA, PLEASE come and live here, give it a year and you'll be saying axactly the same things I am and I'll be sitting giggling my friggin *** off.

Alot of ppl say that they havent lived here, well I have lived in UK and in Germany and I know for a fact that SA is much more dangerous than you'd think. I myself have been victim to more than 5 crimes, violent and otherwise in my lifetime, each resulting in some kind of loss.

Racist Pig government?? whats BEE, I agree it is neccessary but what we ended up with is reverse Apartheid, a government harbouring resentment to a particular race is no means of reform for any country. I live in Centurion yes, but I'm, english with plenty of 'outside living' experience, I look at it from an open-minded point of view. I wasn't born racist, but due to personal and outside experiences it makes it very hard to not harbour at least an inkling of bad feeling.

So you say I'm wrong for saying what I say. Fine. Come on over.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

------- I wasn't born racist.......

But no doubt brought up in a nice house with pool. With black servants - "boys" - to do the cooking and cleaning and vacuum the pool. But you felt OK buying some Kaffir food for them and paying them 60 Rand a month.

Oh and btw I lived there for some years in the good old white era. Yes it's a mess now but whose fault is that. dl
Old 07 July 2006, 11:21 AM
RX--Russ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
But no doubt brought up in a nice house with pool. With black servants - "boys" - to do the cooking and cleaning and vacuum the pool. But you felt OK buying some Kaffir food for them and paying them 60 Rand a month.

Oh and btw I lived there for some years in the good old white era. Yes it's a mess now but whose fault is that. dl
I'm speechless, ... now we know thats not true.

...I didn't have the most extravagent upbringing like apparently you did.

sorry to hear that you seem so severely unhinged. never that I can remember did we have a cleaner or gardener, my parents split up when I was young and I moved out in std. 8. You lived here and your telling me to change my perspective on the country??? what you doing there then??

I also dont believe in employing 'cheap' labour because ppl without the appropriate training do not do a good job anyway. I'd rather pay someone who has a friggin clue what they doing extra to do a good job of it.

Nice of you to have such concern for my upbringing though.
Old 07 July 2006, 11:37 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock

David Lock resident ****...........
Old 07 July 2006, 11:40 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
David Lock resident ****...........

Gene Hunt resident c**t.
Old 07 July 2006, 11:42 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I see you're from Centurion. For those who don't know, this was called until recently Verwoerdburg or Verwoerd's town after the Afrikaner hero (oh yes, and the genius who gave us Apartheid ....). A high proprotion of the people who live there work in the afrikaner dominated parastatals (civil service) and the nearby military bases. Just to give you a feel for the area....the sort of people who think that it's funny or clever to say " Blac...criminals...".
Why aren't there any 'Black Criminals' then??????

The current government is definitely no worse than any of the white dominated predecessors (which still isn't high praise) and occupies a significantly higher place in the moral world. A huge proportion of the crimes are black on black - not to excuse that for a second, but to explain things - and occur in the remnants of the townships such as Soweto, or Khayelitsha etc, where they were all forcibly moved to and dumped back in the 60's. I would defy anybody force dto live in such a place and denied entry to any real education or job prospects not to succumb to gang warfare.
Why are no 'other' worldwide slums errupting into gang warfare then???

You have to ask yourself what any government would or could do to fix it immediately. In the meantime your economy has never been stronger than since the ANC came into power and is certainly far outperforming the last 20- 30 years of the Nat Party government performance.

Pretty much all the South Africans i knew there who left after the ANC to power came "because it was going to be a disaster with these bla...criminals running the country" moved to places like London and then a couple of years later moved back as they couldn't stand having their houses broken into regularly and their car stereos nicked again or being mugged, etc. Admittedly if you get unlucky in SA you may get seriously unlucky but the general atmosphere in most parts of SA is no worse and in fact better than a lot of the UK.

Durban is a nice place to live - for the poster who's going to move there - like all big cities it has it's go and no go place, but overall it has a nice (if ferkin hot and humid) atmosphere.
I wouldn't move there, sounds like a right ****-hole run by Black Criminals!

PS - Edited to say Italy is run by 'White Criminals'...... problem anyone?

Last edited by DCI Gene Hunt; 07 July 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07 July 2006, 11:43 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TopBanana

Gene Hunt resident c**t.
**** ME you've had an idea!......... shame it wasn't original though
Old 07 July 2006, 01:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think I will just go to Anglessey if its ok with you lot.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:26 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

http://www.crimexposouthafrica.co.za

New Site launched to discourage tourists from coming over here, Just a heads up to anyone who might like to be murdered raped or mugged.

We run a two for one special on hijackings on fridays.

Tell everyone about site so that people can know what a useless government we have and ultimatly something gets done.
not getting holiday revenue will only **** up your country further
Old 07 July 2006, 10:33 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I can see why the bla...criminals are criminals. The whi...non-criminals have all the money.

Hell if I was a bla...criminal living in SA, Id rob all the whi...non criminals too, especially seein that the whi...non criminals did all those now legal, illegals to the bla...criminals.
Old 08 July 2006, 10:58 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Yep, but that has more to do with the various trade embargos placed on RSA as a result of the apartheid regime than any coherent policies of the ANC. In other words, RSA's economic power was being strangled without foreign trade and investment which changed, coincidentally, when the ANC came into power.

From what I've seen, there is a fair bit of crime around the Jo'burg area but that is more than balanced out by the relatively quiet of areas such as Nelspruit down to Durban and no way is it as bad as Zim or some of the other countries surrounding it.

The point is, that any country has it's fair share of problems and whilst you don't need to adopt a rose tinted spectacle approach, equally you shouldn't concentrate solely on the negative aspects of your country.

And what is black empowerment, other than another form of apartheid?
Old 10 July 2006, 12:09 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

[Flatcapdriver]

" Yep, but that has more to do with the various trade embargos placed on RSA as a result of the apartheid regime than any coherent policies of the ANC. In other words, RSA's economic power was being strangled without foreign trade and investment which changed, coincidentally, when the ANC came into power."

Hmm, so you're implying that maybe there shouldn't have been embargoes during the Apartheid era? In any case, why shouldn't any successor government benefit from such an effect? That effect was exactly the intent of the sanctions imposed worldwide on SA as appealing to the previous ruling parties's conscience hadn't exactly worked, had it?.

Your point isn't completely correct, anyway; without some of the coherent actions that people like Trevor Manuel took, which went totally against the ideology of the mainstream historical power base of the ANC, the economy wouldn't have grown in the way it has lately - GDP growth in 4-5 years post the ANC government coming to power was only circa 2-3% , as opposed to the currently far higher levels.

To our friend from Centurion - been there, done it - 7 years, 92 - 99, in Jo'burg.

To DCI Hunt - you are a terrible waste of oxygen.
Old 10 July 2006, 12:13 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

[Flatcapdriver]To DCI Hunt - you are a terrible waste of oxygen.
Boo hoo........... and you're a terrible bore........
Old 10 July 2006, 12:58 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Hmm, so you're implying that maybe there shouldn't have been embargoes during the Apartheid era? In any case, why shouldn't any successor government benefit from such an effect? That effect was exactly the intent of the sanctions imposed worldwide on SA as appealing to the previous ruling parties's conscience hadn't exactly worked, had it?.
No, that's not what I'm implying. I'm simply stating that the ANC benefited massively from the removal of sanctions, so to credit them with an economic revival overstates their success because the influx of foreign investment post-apartheid has certainly contributed to the economy. However, there is a school of thought that suggests that sanctions had such a detrimental effect that blacks suffered more so than they would without them.

Anyway, no-one has yet convinced me that BEE and it's affect on employment equity (look at South African Airlines) is a good thing and if the discrimination was reversed (i.e. whites instead of blacks) then it's called apartheid, albeit a more extreme form.

Quick Reply: Crime in SA