Old 06 July 2006, 07:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint question

Hi.

Whats the best type of paint to use for a kitchen? ie emulsion, matt etc

Obviously at risk parts will be tiled

Also which of the diy stores has the best selection/quality of paints?

Thanks
Old 06 July 2006, 07:59 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Are you renovating your house, Deep
Old 06 July 2006, 08:08 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by 84of300
Are you renovating your house, Deep
What gives you that idea?
Old 06 July 2006, 08:12 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Good luck
Old 06 July 2006, 10:10 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

After many many many mistakes one thing I have learned is that Matt finish is much more forgiving than anything else and don't believe the twaddle about *own brands* being as good as the real McCoy

And always cheat when you go to get your paint............take a big sheet of white paper and *test* the colour pots on the paper....take the paper home and check out the colours in your own home

I only ever dream of doing this and have no memory whatsoever of actually *doing* it
Old 06 July 2006, 10:37 PM
middxsti
Scooby Regular

dulux kitchen&bathroom paint,specially formulated for areas of condensation/steam etc..
Old 06 July 2006, 11:03 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Hi.

Whats the best type of paint to use for a kitchen? ie emulsion, matt etc

Obviously at risk parts will be tiled

Also which of the diy stores has the best selection/quality of paints?

Thanks
Hi Deep,

You can buy kitchen paints from Dulux.The wallcoating will be wipeable and durable.Steam and stain-proof.I have used them.Pretty good results,IMO.
Old 06 July 2006, 11:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by middxsti
dulux kitchen&bathroom paint,specially formulated for areas of condensation/steam etc..
Sorry, I did not see your post
Old 06 July 2006, 11:06 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Yup, always go for the special kitchen and bathroom paints made by most reputable manufacturers. They have an anti fungicidal which will resist mould due to steamy conditions.
Yve
Old 06 July 2006, 11:32 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spent ages painting our house in cheapy paint. Walked past the walls and it would brush off on your clothes. Then spent ages and a small fortune painting it with expensive paint. Stays on the wall and you can wash grubby fingermarks off. Makes a difference!
Old 06 July 2006, 11:50 PM
djliveasy
Scooby Regular

try acrylic eggshell thats your best bet, the toughest youll find, all that kitchen and bathroom paint is crap a big sales pitch. go to a layland or johnsons they will be your cheapest and its fairly decent paint but if money is no problem go for a crown or dulux. p.s trust me i do this for a livin.
Old 06 July 2006, 11:54 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

If you've got kids, try some of this:
http://www.trimite.com/NetsiteCMS/pa...eCoatings.html
Old 07 July 2006, 09:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've tiled over work surfaces, but the best thing I did was to buy a sheet of glass, cut to fit exactly behind the hob, and beneath the cooker hood. Cost me about £20 all in.

I had it drilled and tempered locally, and fitted it with brass "mirror type" screws.

It wipes clean far easier than tiles, no grout to discolour, but the tiles are there behind it

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2006, 09:05 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys/gals

So crown or dulux, maybe the specific kitchen stuff. Do Wickes/BQ/Homebase all stock crown/dulux?

Alcazar, I've got glass splashbacks in the kitchen order. Its the type of glass with a slight green tinge to it. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like once all fitted!

Deep
Old 08 July 2006, 12:33 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Farrow and Ball always seems to give a lovely finsh, goes on nicely too, available from Homebase. Alternatively, visit somewhere like Brewers and buy Dulux Professional paint, again seems to go on better and gives a much nicer finish than the ordinary stuff.
Old 08 July 2006, 09:06 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'll try homebase aswell but I've never heard of Brewers
Old 08 July 2006, 09:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

dont go to fads etc ..

Brewers happen in the south ....... and supply to the industry
Old 08 July 2006, 09:38 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

BUY A QUALITY PAINT!!! go to a DULUX DECORATORS centre.. shgould be one near you open till about 4pm today.
DULUX TRADE paint all the way.... get what you pay for with it.
crown.. ok.. but not a patch on dulux quality.... thats why crown is cheaper tho!

the Crown rep comes round to us and offers silly prices for 5litres of paints!! loads cheaper than dulux.. but at the end of the day is not a patch on the quality and finish.. coverage etc than dulux trade.
its now ended up they don't bother ringing to try and sell stuff to us! lol

(we do use shed loads of CROWNS own brand ready mixed 'tub paste'.. that is great)

farrow & ball and fired earth etc are just over priced paints aimed at DIYers wanting to think they've a posh paint on the walls!!!

Dulux now do 'diamond matt', 10x harder than std emulsion... and wires down easier than normal matt.
poved this last weekend when a **** tennant squired BLOOD over everything.. after injecting.. you know what.
washed all my walls ceiling wood word down with bleached water... walls, skirting, ceiling came up like new.

wood work was oil base eggshell.

don't pay silly money at a DIY store for kitchen/bathroom paint..... as this is either vinyl silk or soft sheen paint in a fancy tin!!!

TBPO.... vinyl matt is still fine in kitchens!!
Old 08 July 2006, 10:26 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by salsa-king
farrow & ball and fired earth etc are just over priced paints aimed at DIYers wanting to think they've a posh paint on the walls!!!
I disagree, Farrow & Ball is excellent paint in my experience, easily on a par with Dulux Trade.
Old 08 July 2006, 12:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

So crown or dulux, maybe the specific kitchen stuff. Do Wickes/BQ/Homebase all stock crown/dulux?
Deep
B&Q definitely stock them.There were some Dulux stores who would mix the paint of your choice as well.Not sure if they still do it.Just do not buy B&Q brand paints.It is really bad quality stuff.
Old 08 July 2006, 02:16 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djliveasy
try acrylic eggshell thats your best bet, the toughest youll find, all that kitchen and bathroom paint is crap a big sales pitch. go to a layland or johnsons they will be your cheapest and its fairly decent paint but if money is no problem go for a crown or dulux. p.s trust me i do this for a livin.
second that. i do alot of work in Cannons Health Clubs. thats what we use. and as above "trust me, i do this for a living" too
Old 08 July 2006, 07:00 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot everyone. A few questions;

1) Since the prof decorators say specific kitchen paint is not required which is the best type to go for? ie acrylic egg shell, vinyl silk, soft sheen etc

2) Is Dulux trade paint different to the normal Dulux stuff I've just looked at in B and Q? Does it come in the full range of colours?

Many thanks to everyone.

ps I'm sorry but you're going to see alot of house related threads from me as I'm half way through a refurb!
Old 08 July 2006, 07:33 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

1) Since the prof decorators say specific kitchen paint is not required which is the best type to go for? ie acrylic egg shell, vinyl silk, soft sheen etc

As far as I can tell acrylic eggshell is rebranded into kitchen/bathroom paint in diy stores as most customers wouldn`t know what eggshell is ideally used for. So yes for areas subject to humidity, condensation etc acrylic eggshell would suit your needs

2) Is Dulux trade paint different to the normal Dulux stuff I've just looked at in B and Q? Does it come in the full range of colours?

Yes, try and go to your local trade paint suppliers they do sell to the public, and they also will be able to mix any colour you want.
Old 08 July 2006, 11:09 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

All torque, is that morse code??
Old 08 July 2006, 11:12 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Old 08 July 2006, 11:26 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

[QUOTE=Deep Singh]Thanks alot everyone. A few questions;

you can still use Vinyl matt in kitchen, trouble with silks or soft sheen is if its on smooth ceilings.. its looks tacky and shows up many an imperfection, if in a take away use these as they will be easier to wash down. general home use, dulux flat Matt or diamond matt or vinyl matt is still ok. don't think you'd feel compatant enough to use acrylic eggshell on large areas ie walls. its mainly for skirting/doors and windows etc. unless you need an eggshell finish on walls. normally you'll find silk or soft sheen more than adiquate

2) Is Dulux trade paint different to the normal Dulux stuff I've just looked at in B and Q? hheeellllooooo YES!!!!! retail paint is thinned down to make it easier for the DIYer to apply, thats why retail paint take 5 times more coats to cover!..lol .. or in the case of Crown paint it goes on like greasy marg IMO LOL
Does it come in the full range of colours? should do, depends how upto date the colour mixer they have

QUOTE]

my re vamp pix here....
http://salsa-king.fotopic.net/c28865.html
finished pix here.. http://salsa-king.fotopic.net/c202384.html

project on the go at the mo...
http://salsa-king.fotopic.net/c816933.html

Phil
Old 08 July 2006, 11:29 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

Many thanks to everyone.

ps I'm sorry but you're going to see alot of house related threads from me as I'm half way through a refurb!
acrylic eggshell i have found is more harder wearing than vinyl silks and soft sheens. hence why i use them in Cannons health clubs and Greater London sports centres. but acrylic eggshell is sh*t on woodwork (IMHO) Dulux trade paint is beter than the dulux you get at B and Q. get yourself to Brewers or a McDougal Rose trade centre, mate. all the best with the re-furb

*mental note* i must type quicker. just seen above post!!!
Old 08 July 2006, 11:39 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

don't think you'd feel compatant enough to use acrylic eggshell on large areas ie walls. its mainly for skirting/doors and windows etc. unless you need an eggshell finish on walls.

Acrylic eggshell is purposly designed for use on walls or large areas as there is little or no fumes, Salsa King have you ever used oil based eggshell on walls, I have but it must have been about 20yrs ago now, before the water based product came into use. We normally use satin wood if we want a flat finish on doors windows frames and skirtings.
Old 08 July 2006, 11:55 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by All Torque
don't think you'd feel compatant enough to use acrylic eggshell on large areas ie walls. its mainly for skirting/doors and windows etc. unless you need an eggshell finish on walls.

Acrylic eggshell is purposly designed for use on walls or large areas as there is little or no fumes, Salsa King have you ever used oil based eggshell on walls, I have but it must have been about 20yrs ago now, before the water based product came into use. We normally use satin wood if we want a flat finish on doors windows frames and skirtings.
you miss read it. in contex of acrylic being thicker to apply than std emulsions etc. not the easiest if you start getting it 'flashing'. but as you say it ws designed to be used instaed of oil base for COSHH regs etc, at college they said by the year 2000 everything would be water bse!! think they still have a long way to go yet! lol

oil eggshell on walls... yes thank you.. had to use it in a swimming pool a couple of years ago after everything else was efected by the cholorine in the pool water.. everything was tried.. acylic eggshell/silk/softsheen/flat matt/emulsion glaze mix with flat matt etc... in the end the dulux paint rep said the only way round it was go oil base eggshell. since then no problem.. btw.. it was applied by brush too!!!!
see pic......

this is the type of work WE do.. the old boy got in on the pic TuT lol

the gold collumes seen here .. 24karat gold leaf, tanalized (sp) to protect it from marks and again the chlorine in the air.. approx no more than 6' long lengths, 6 in total... £1500!!!!!!

Last edited by salsa-king; 08 July 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08 July 2006, 11:58 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

WOW! :

Quick Reply: Paint question