Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trackers - are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2006, 09:09 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackers - are they worth it?

Thinking of getting one fitted to the car - but not sure if its worth it. I can see the sods steeling the car - going somewhere quiet and ripping the tracker out. Unless the police are on to them like a shot (not likely for a car crime) I can't see it being much use.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 29 June 2006, 09:11 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

Don't bother, especially with the RAC one.
Old 29 June 2006, 09:11 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Care to expand?? As that was the one I was thinking of
Old 29 June 2006, 09:14 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Half the time they don't work, drain your battery in 2 days, you can't transfer a 'life' policy or any remainding on an annual policy to a new owner.

Do a simple search on here to find more.

Get a good mechanical disc thing for the steering wheel and forget a tracker.
Old 29 June 2006, 09:19 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Always seems preposterous to me that insurance companies want trackers Essentially there are only a handful of hiding places for them so the accomplished thief will have it found and out pretty sharp.
More importantly your car could be 50miles away from home and wrapped round a tree in less than half an hour - but hey, thats OK because the insurance company have something to recover
My first Scooby had a tracker when I bought it which I renewed the subscription on (with RAC). When I asked for test calls they couldnt find me, which was reassuring. One engineer later and it worked but many on here get told theyre not prepared to do test calls, so you may never know if yours works or not.
As a result, when I bought my latest scoob I paid for blackjaxx rather than a tracker. My theory being that the car wont get out of my home town before it cuts out and makes the thieves ears bleed So it will be recovered just down the road - excellent...
Old 29 June 2006, 10:20 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I got one for my sccob, as at the time, the saving on insurance paid for it in the first year. If I could have insured the car cheaper without one, I'd not have bothered.

John.
Old 29 June 2006, 10:25 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
Care to expand?? As that was the one I was thinking of

Do a search on here, plenty of experience, most of it bad.
Old 29 June 2006, 10:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I have one by Matrix, formerly Dantrack. Doesn't drain the battery, wouldn't even know it's there to look at the car. If I sell the car I can transfer the kit to another car, although there would be a fitting fee. It works off GPS and a GRPS unit. Mine is fully automated, although you can get ones that you can activate with your mobile or that will call you if your car is moving etc.

It costs £30 per qtr, so it isn't cheap, but it isn't any hassle either, it arms on the central locking system so I don't have to worry about activating it. If the car is moved without it being disabled, I get called, I don't have to call the call centre and tell them the car is stolen for them to activate it.
Old 29 June 2006, 11:51 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Blackjax
Old 29 June 2006, 12:29 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Presumably they are worth their weight in gold if your car is nicked and recovered!

Has you car got theft insurance on it? If so why?

You need to balance the costs and risks. Mind you in my last Impreza they installed the tracker, and I'll guess its in the boot, as the lining necver fitted properly again!
Old 29 June 2006, 01:15 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

If your insurance policy requires one for theft cover then they are worth it.

Any policy that requires a tracker, I just add £99 to the premium for comparison purposes and if it still works out cheaper then I pay for a year's subscription, otherwise I don't bother.

If the car gets nicked I don't want it back anyway. The engine will be knackered.
Old 29 June 2006, 01:44 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I only got one cos the insurance insisted on it. If someone nicks it I hope that write it off - I'm not wishing harm on the robbers - just that I really wouldn't want it back if it's had the nuts cained off it.

They're also one of the people you're likely to forget to tell when you move house or change mobile phone no.....
Old 29 June 2006, 02:05 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
I'm not wishing harm on the robbers
That bits a joke, right?

I thought that there was an issue with BlackJax and some insurance companies. If it stops in the middle of the motorway and someone runs into it, are you covered?
Old 29 June 2006, 03:24 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Had RAC Trackstar fitted to mine when new.

I had a problem with the battery going flat after a few days - this was a known problem and they came and retrofitted a new unit which cured this problem. Make noises about this if you have this issue as they will fit the modified controlbox for you.

My car got stolen when it was about 6 months old with the keys - phoned up trackstar who located the car immediately, police recovered the car, it had gone about 20 miles into the next town and was parked up in a side street - common practice to see if its tracked. They had ripped out and disposed of all the interior trim & sound deadening from the backseats backwards looking for a tracker - so the inside rear was a bit bare!

Got it back though.......relatively undamaged I suppose.....the £120 a year bill a bit of kick in the teeth though when your insurance bill is due in the same month!