Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2006, 10:55 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodgy mail from ebay.

Recieved this tonite ...

Dear eBay Member,

You've been on a super sales streak and since you've done so well, it's time to recognize you for your efforts. You are PowerSeller Silver!

Congratulations! joining the eBay Silver PowerSeller Program. Come and join us. When you join the PowerSeller program, you'll be able to receive more of the support you'll need for continued success. So, why wait? Join now!

The funny thing is when i click the link it asks me to enter username.So as i start typing username it would usually recognize it after a few letters and then i,d click the name and the password would automatically load.

But not on this page
It wants me to enter username and password
Also have no such message in "My Ebay" page,and i,m sure that i usually get an email and message together..

Or am i losing it............ Paranoid Rooferman
Old 27 June 2006, 10:56 PM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

DEFO a spoof.

just type in the url yourself www.ebay.co.uk and go to MY EBAY and if legit, then you would of had an internal ebay message, but i doubt it.
Old 27 June 2006, 10:57 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

Sounds proper dodgy to me, you do normally get messages in ebay before your personal mail.
Old 27 June 2006, 10:59 PM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

Is that an exact copy of the email? Because I notice they didnt mention you by your name OR username. Defo a spoof.
Old 27 June 2006, 10:59 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

SCAM!!!

whatever you do DO NOT enter you're password and /or username it will read you're keytypes and form entry and they will hijack youre account, i know ive done it !

you can check see as well if it is scam in the web addy it should be https:// the s meaning secure server also it will be https://ebay.co if its scam they will have it hosted on a diff server so usually have there addy i.e http://davtom.de/ebay.co or something .

you can if you like report it to ebay but I have and still get them , nowadays i just delete them or if im feeling boared i'll go to the page on the link and type in something rude just for fun !
Old 27 June 2006, 11:01 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Spoof mate - DO NOT enter details.

If you are following a link from an email then the 'text' might not be the actual address.

Common one, normally used to get Bank/Paypal details.
Old 28 June 2006, 07:38 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greenlightracer
SCAM!!!

whatever you do DO NOT enter you're password and /or username it will read you're keytypes and form entry and they will hijack youre account, i know ive done it !

you can check see as well if it is scam in the web addy it should be https:// the s meaning secure server also it will be https://ebay.co if its scam they will have it hosted on a diff server so usually have there addy i.e http://davtom.de/ebay.co or something .

you can if you like report it to ebay but I have and still get them , nowadays i just delete them or if im feeling boared i'll go to the page on the link and type in something rude just for fun !
This is what made me a bit suspicious as it took some time to load and i saw 2 names on server bar....jamesdave or something like that..
Have reported thread to ebay anyway.
I will type something ****ty for them......

Thanks guys.

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2006, 08:51 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I never click on the link as it allows them to see your email account is active if they have that set up. Then you can expect even more spam than you already get
Old 28 June 2006, 09:37 AM
crazyman1979
Scooby Regular

Easy way to check.

Copy and paste the url into notepad, remove any identifying parameters (anything after the ?) so you just have the url.

paste this into your browser.

When prompted for your user name and password just enter rubbish into both fields, if it then lets you in its a spoof as a genuine ebay would give you an error saying 'incorrect password' or something similar, notice that these spoof sites will let you in whatever you type into the login fields as they are simply logging it.
Old 28 June 2006, 10:09 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

user=<service@paypal.com>

result="554 Your email was rejected because it contains the HTML.Phishing.Pay-130 virus"

lots of those in circulation, we stop lots of the above from reaching our users

phishing is becomming a big problem on the internet