Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If you have an LCD tv thats the correct resolution but has no HDMI connection can you

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2006, 09:26 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have an LCD tv thats the correct resolution but has no HDMI connection can you

.....get one added?
Old 25 June 2006, 09:41 PM
neoglow
Scooby Regular

You cant exactly get one 'added' as such. If your set can display a HiDef signal and has a DVI socket that is HDCP compliant then you can have things like Sky HD etc etc. Things such as Xbox 360's etc dont require HDCP and can run in HiDef through the VGA, DVI or Component sockets on the set.

An HDMI socket is basically a digital scart socket that carries both sound and picture. A DVI socket can only carry video so in the absence of an HDMI socket you can buy HDMI to DVI leads in order to connect certain equipment. And run the sound through different sockets, ie, your surround sound amplifier.

So in short, no you cant 'add' a HDMI socket, but you can convert from / to one. If you catch my drift.

Out of interest, what set you have?
Ive got a Sharp Aquos LC-26GA3E which has Component and HDCP complient DVI.

Hope that helps. M.

Last edited by neoglow; 25 June 2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 25 June 2006, 09:49 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_278246.html

Saw this at Comet the other day.Fantastic picture but am reluctant to pay £450 for something thats not HD ready.
Old 25 June 2006, 09:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its 'HD-Ready' with component-in if the screen supports the necessary resolution. HDMI is being pushed principally because its DRM friendly.
Old 25 June 2006, 10:04 PM
neoglow
Scooby Regular

Some panels have been optimised for Standard res telly so the picture does look very good compared to other sets since its been designed to get the best possible picture from standard res.

But if its HD Ready panel you are after then definately dont go for the one in your Comet link above. HD Ready / or HiDef compatible panels can be picked up at good prices now. By Hi Def compatible I mean it has HDCP DVI like mine. Dont get a non HDCP panel cos Sky HD wont work. However, Sky are releasing a batch of Component campatible boxes before the HDMI ones arrive. I think anyway.

M.
Old 25 June 2006, 10:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Its 'HD-Ready' with component-in if the screen supports the necessary resolution. HDMI is being pushed principally because its DRM friendly.
1366 x 768 resolution but no dvi or hdmi but yes to component.

Would DRM stop you watching dvd copies?
Old 26 June 2006, 12:17 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neoglow
Some panels have been optimised for Standard res telly so the picture does look very good compared to other sets since its been designed to get the best possible picture from standard res.

But if its HD Ready panel you are after then definately dont go for the one in your Comet link above. HD Ready / or HiDef compatible panels can be picked up at good prices now. By Hi Def compatible I mean it has HDCP DVI like mine. Dont get a non HDCP panel cos Sky HD wont work. However, Sky are releasing a batch of Component campatible boxes before the HDMI ones arrive. I think anyway.

M.
Okay thanks.
Old 26 June 2006, 12:20 PM
neoglow
Scooby Regular

1366 x 768 is a true widescreen LCD resolution. In which case I'm 'guessing' the panel will support 720p and 1080i. I very much doubt it will support 1080p. If your wondering, 720 and 1080 are the number of lines and 'i' and 'p' mean interlaced and progressive. Best thing to do is download the manual from toshibas website, if its on there and check the technical specs of it.

In effect running HiDef is possible through Component but it is not a true digital picture, more of an anologue HiDef. The Xbox 360 uses it and so will early Sky HD boxes. Mainly for people that forked out huge amounts of money on a flatscreen about a year back and then get told that companies like Sky are enforcing High Defintion Content Protection (HDCP) on their equipment, so all you would get is a blank screen when u hooked it up since many early flatscreens (plasma and lcd) didnt support HDCP. Infact, many didnt even have DVI or HDMI. Just Component. All HDMI enabled panels are HDCP compliment.

Bit of a grey area for panels that can actually have the 'HD Ready' badge on them. Mine is HD Ready through the DVI socket but it is not stated anywhere cos it dosent have an HDMI socket. It all gets very silly, especially when panels are released with HDMI sockets and some dont support 1366 x 768 resolution. 'Apparently' some places have been advertising panels as HD Ready when they clearly arent. Just to get the punters in. Some are as about HD Ready as a frickin toaster.

DRM...heard about it, dont know much about it. I thought it was something on PC's, not TV's so not sure on that one. Something tells me it has something to do with protection so I'd think piracy is the first thing DRM tries to combat. But not sure, do a search in google.

Hope that helps ya!
Old 26 June 2006, 12:26 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Theres already a *** packet size gadget that converts hidef to component, so yes...
Old 26 June 2006, 01:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

1366 x 768 is a true widescreen LCD resolution. In which case I'm 'guessing' the panel will support 720p and 1080i.
No, 1080i is 1920x1080 pixels.
Old 26 June 2006, 01:09 PM
neoglow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
No, 1080i is 1920x1080 pixels.
My 26" LCD supprts 1080i, so would this be a condensed picture?

M.
Old 26 June 2006, 06:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

My 26" LCD supprts 1080i, so would this be a condensed picture?
Depends on the native resolution of the panel, but I would downscale on almost any 26" screen. Will still look much better than standard broadcast so don't worry too much about the techie side