Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Horses

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2006, 08:20 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horses

I know I have way too much time on my hands when I'm in the car - but this morning I got to wondering about why horses stay in fields with really low fences.

Don't horses jump fences....? I'm not a horse racing fan, but I'm pretty sure there are fences in the Grand National....

So, why do they stay put? You never see high fences around horses fields - even when they're next to motorways - why don't they all escape...? Are they just really stupid? Or do they only jump fences when there's a crazed midget on their back beating them with a stick...?
Old 23 June 2006, 09:14 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a horse "widower" for many years I've accumulated a fair bit of knowledge of things equine. OK, horses are not the brightest of Gods creatures, but they tend to know what they want. If there's better grazing in the next field they may well try to get to it, and believe me, they will jump a fence if they feel like it or if they get spooked. Unlike cats or rabbits etc. they don't usually feel the need to escape from wherever they are just for the sake of it. Bit like you and me - don't wander too far when you know where your grub comes from!
JohnD
Old 23 June 2006, 09:29 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
. OK, horses are not the brightest of Gods creatures,
Horses= mad.

Friend's horse spooks at things like a crisp packet.Goes mental
Old 23 June 2006, 09:32 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lozgti
Horses= mad.

Friend's horse spooks at things like a crisp packet.Goes mental
Salted or plain?...................
Old 23 June 2006, 09:55 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Only Hunting Horses will try to escape. Often in pursuit of their prey. mice or small rabbits.
Old 23 June 2006, 09:57 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Where I grew up, the local farmer had show jumping horses. Every now & then for no reason, these horses would jump the fences and run rampage through the Village. I've witnessed at least 4 horses in my childhood being hit by cars. I've nearly been trampled a couple of times.
One time when a horse got out, it was completely mental, just wouldn't calm down. Anyway, the farmer asked me and my 2 mates, that if the horse came running toward us, we were to yell and wave our arms about to make the horse run onto some waste land. Well, being confronted by a demented full size horse sprinting towards you with the look of the devil in it's eye, we lost our bottle and ran. This then scared the horse more so, and it turned away from the waste land, straight onto the main road, straight into a bus. One dead horse later, the farmer starts shouting and me and my mates blaming us ????
To this day, I'm nervous around horses. Worlds stupidest animal ! (The horse not me )
Old 23 June 2006, 10:44 AM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Only Hunting Horses will try to escape. Often in pursuit of their prey. mice or small rabbits.

What a great thread that was
Old 23 June 2006, 10:48 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
And they're there looking at you and wondering why you you don't jump into fields with low fences ......

Dave
I do - but not when I'm in my car on the M3. Some people on here with long memories may remember a BBQ at Staines Rugby Club that involved me trying to bond with a number of wild (psychotic) horses in a nearby field!
Old 23 June 2006, 10:50 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Another thing .. when horses are being ridden on main roads, and they get scared by cars, why o why do they then proceed to pelt down the main road towards the oncoming vehicles?

I literally caught a horse on Friday night. It had been scared by a vehicle and had thrown it's rider. Rather than going back into the farm from where it had just come from, it decided to run down the A4!!

I was the first car to come across it, and decided to help. I have never been so scared in all my life.. 5ft4 me trying to wave down a stonking great big horse. I grabbed it's reins as it went past me.. thankfully only the rider was injured - I don't think horses should be kept on ridden on main roads
Old 23 June 2006, 10:57 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

White horses often excape to the sea. Its true I saw it on an advert for an irish beverage
Brown horses, however may be seen off the coast of Blackpool.
Why do horses not jump little fences but have a fetish for salty water?
Old 23 June 2006, 12:37 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

imo not all horses are jumping horses, eg too fat or lazy to do it, or not trained to do it. I Cant see a 15yr old shetland trying to vault anything more than a small boulder.

If they get spooked in their field most often they will just run about a bit until they realise there is no danger. At least that is what I have seen.

My wifes horse jumped out of its field when we brought him to his new stables last year, as the other horses were being taken in he got a bit annoyed at being left out and launched himself over the fence. All he did at the other side was stop and eat grass until someone came and collected him.

Horses are not the brightest creatures agreed, and they can be bloody dangerous as well. Our's changes his mood in a flash and one minute can be quite placcid and the next will be rearing up kicking the air for the fun of it
Old 23 June 2006, 01:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember waking up as a kid to find several horses careering round, happened a few times when the 'Horse Field' fence was breached, 10 or more tetchy nags tearing round Heald Green !
Old 25 June 2006, 12:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am not an expert but my farming neighbour tells me that the best thing to enclose horses is a fence made out of white tape. He has three horses in a field which is divided with white tape as he said and I have never seen any escapees as yet.

Les