Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Roy Schmidt dead !!

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 12:01 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roy Schmidt dead !!

Roy from Boyd Coddingtons...Didnt know he had died..!!

Is this old news??
Old 19 June 2006, 12:03 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ......mark and lard style
Old 19 June 2006, 07:45 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

First time it's been announced on the programme but I checked out the US forum to see what was happening with all the guys leaving and found out then a few months ago.

Was laughing my head off last night watching the Roy and Lee double act.
Old 19 June 2006, 08:19 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Roy passed away quite some time ago(21st March 2004) and had been dealing with lung cancer for a long time. His wife had also passed away not too long before Roy joined her. They were soul mates and Roy found it very hard after losing his wife.

May you rest in a quiet deadline free bodyshop in the sky Roy.

Last edited by prodriva; 19 June 2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 19 June 2006, 09:34 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Wow, are hte American Hotrod shows that old then ? If Roy died in Mar 2004'. I thought those shows were newish !

SBK
Old 19 June 2006, 09:44 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by Simon K
Wow, are hte American Hotrod shows that old then ? If Roy died in Mar 2004'. I thought those shows were newish !

SBK
Likewise, sure the programme was made this year?
Old 19 June 2006, 11:39 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

We are way behind what is being shown in the US.

Original announcement made by Todd can be found here:
http://community.discovery.com/group...6/m/9821927018
Old 19 June 2006, 12:39 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Roy actually died on 16th October 2005
Old 19 June 2006, 02:41 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I love Amercian Hotrod, mind you I like all the car / bike programs on DHL. I like it for the cars, and the soap opera like way the shop is run.

Roy was a right old character and despite what everyone said, christ he was a miserable of fart. It was funny when Lee first started working with him "There's a new sherif intown" :-)

I find Boyd a bit of a bollox and if me, I would be embrassed if I had an ex wife like his !!! Looks like a oil drum wearing a dress. His new lady has cat like eyes !

I also watch Overhauling, but that male presenter gets on my nerves, those jokes he plays are ****e.

Ive just started to watch "The Garage", and Chop Cut Rebuild. :-)

I think I need to get a life

SBK
Old 19 June 2006, 03:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can anyone tell me when AHR is shown and which sky channel no. Please

Since they messed with the channel numbers and time schenduling I keep missing it While your there - tell me when Overhaulin' is on too (oh And Courtney has left that too )

First I heard about Roy's death I must admit, he didn't seem to be the most healthiest of chaps. But had a good f**k off world attitude Lee and Roy together made for good Laurel and Hardy-esq entertainment
Old 19 June 2006, 03:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I do like AHR, but Boyd and ******** Duane just **** me off.

I can hardly blame Charley and anyone else whose left Boyd's. Yeah I know a lot of it is "put on" for tv, but I'm not sure I'd like to be portrayed as a complete **** as Boyd and Duane are.

Overhaullin is pretty good too, I agree about the presenter being a *****, however Chip really has some talent, when was the last time you saw boyd actually getting dirty and working on a car? One day they are going to prank the wrong guy and he's going to lamp that dozy bugger

Biker Build Off is good as well, but I still rate American Chopper as one of the best. Mikey is god!
Old 19 June 2006, 07:05 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can anyone tell me when AHR is shown and which sky channel no. Please

Since they messed with the channel numbers and time schenduling I keep missing it While your there - tell me when Overhaulin' is on too (oh And Courtney has left that too )

First I heard about Roy's death I must admit, he didn't seem to be the most healthiest of chaps. But had a good f**k off world attitude Lee and Roy together made for good Laurel and Hardy-esq entertainment
New series Sunday nights Discovery Real Time ch250 at 11pm
Old 19 June 2006, 07:06 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Is this the bloke that was In JAWS?
Old 19 June 2006, 07:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by richiewong
New series Sunday nights Discovery Real Time ch250 at 11pm

Cheers
Old 19 June 2006, 07:40 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

nathanb, no mate.

For those that don't know here's an update on AHR:

Blue-Bear got fired and now works at Jimmy White's (Jimmy Shines) Circle City Hot Rods in Orange California.

Charely left to work for Chip Foose on a Riddler project and ended up getting a full-time job. Then closely followed by Andrew (Beetale Bailey) and Brian from the bodyshop.

Mike got fired after being caught out by Duane for designing motorbike wheels for Chip Foose on Boyd's CNC hardware in his own time. Mike now works for Chip Foose.

Thomas left giving the reason that he wanted to expand his own part-time business (shipping company). He has done what he set out and done very well apparently. He has worked on a numebr of Chip Foose projects and most recently worked on the Overhaulin project of Overhaulin Chip Foose himself and his Overlord truck. However, Thomas returns in episode 42 '54 Corvette and '55 Chevy 3 to help out the shop as this is around the time when Roy passes away.

Jimmy left after not agreeing to sign a waver that basically stated that he wouldnt get paid for working overtime. He was told that he had to sign it and he wouldnt so he walked.

Al handed his notice in to Duane and has now set up his own custom shop.

Brad, a shop intern (read junior/trainee mechanic) got grief and was being made to work every Saturday UNPAID. He then got some realy bad grief one-day from Boyd/Jo and Duane and proceeded to hand is notice in with immediate effect.

Scott couldnt believe how Brad had been treated and promptly handed his notice in also. He now works for Chip Foose.

Hope this helps.
Old 19 June 2006, 08:09 PM
jonesy172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Looks like a oil drum wearing a dress. His new lady has cat like eyes !

SBK
My word i was killing myself laughing at your description
Old 19 June 2006, 08:10 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the update
Can't believe how Boyd treats his staff and expects them to work to impossible deadlines
Old 19 June 2006, 08:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

**** Scott and Jimmy have gone too?

Knew about the others. But it does go and sho what kind of employers they are. Boyd calls it "his family" in reality he's a user. Leeching everyones private life to fill his shortsighted, badly scheduled deadlines.

I thought that the pressure these guys were under in this environment was payed off by a decent wage and overtime - and thus why they would stick out the long hours to get the job done.

Until I read this:

Jimmy left after not agreeing to sign a waver that basically stated that he wouldnt get paid for working overtime. He was told that he had to sign it and he wouldnt so he walked.
That's not on. It's like giving Boyd a free riegn over controlling staff wages by purposely creating short deadline and forcing overtime and blaming it on his employees being too slow.

I quit one of my old jobs for the same reason.

I sympatise with Boyds ex-wife. Because she's the one who basically running the company finances. And if anyone has worked the accounts of a firm with tight cash-flow. You can understand the constraints placed on you when everyone around you keeps asking for cheques for this that and the other.

Jo is evil. she's two faced, and I bet that winds up Boyd's ex, but she knows her game and plays it perfectly . I know why Boyd employs her - probably because nobody else can or will do the job....plus she probably has shares as part of the divorce settlement

Still: makes for good viewing

Last edited by Shark Man; 19 June 2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 19 June 2006, 08:41 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just watched the episode in which we are told about Roy's death - very sad. Seemed to hit Boyd hard.

Still can't believe Boyd dedicated a plastic car to the memory of his best sheet metal worker though
Old 19 June 2006, 09:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It is amusing to see most of the old BC staff moving over to Chip, perhaps he's a nicer person than Boyd and Duane.

I do wonder how tight the deadlines actually are, and wether the TV side of things makes it seem like they are always sailing very close to the wind (good vewing in other words). Part of me thinks they can't always be that close to deadlines because otherwise Boyd/Duane have a serious lack of skill when it comes to project management. I'd rather say a car is going to take two months. I know things don't always go as planned, but it doesn't take many brains to work out how long things will take.

I don't like Boyd anyway, comes across as an arsehole and seems to have no problem with being portrayed as one.

I think, if I recall correctly, and for anyone curious as to why Boyd hates Chip, that it's due to Chip working for BC many years ago and BC was having financial problems, have a feeling he was going to be bankrupt and the administrators asked Chip to step in and try and sort things out, which from all accounts he did, and did so very well. Then Chip decided he'd learnt a lot from working there and wanted to start up his own company, so he left, and Boyd was not happy at all.

I'd really like to see someone stand up to Duane and put him in his place and point out that he needs to treat people with respect if he wants the best out of them. One does wonder if he's got some dirt on Boyd which is why he's still working there, or maybe he's just so much of a kindred spirit with Boyd, ie; they are both arrogant arseholes.
Old 19 June 2006, 09:27 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

sharkman,

Oh man, you want to wait for the episode where Boyd tells Diane that there has been a reshuffle within the company. The end result is that Diane is no more and Jo takes over Diane's old role.
Old 19 June 2006, 09:31 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by prodriva
sharkman,

Oh man, you want to wait for the episode where Boyd tells Diane that there has been a reshuffle within the company. The end result is that Diane is no more and Jo takes over Diane's old role.

**** the bed!
Old 19 June 2006, 09:39 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
sharkman,

Woah!! LOL I bet there are fireworks on that episode!

Jo can't even balance on high-heels, yet alone try and balance the ledgers
Old 19 June 2006, 10:07 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

In last night episode,when the end credits came up i thought it said

Roy Shmidt
1941-2005

????????
Old 20 June 2006, 09:55 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

You all have to agree, AHR is more a soap opera involving cars, than dIY program about building them :-) The trouble is that I miss some of the episodes as they are shown either late night, or when Im out on a Saturday.

Ive tried down loading them, via edonkey, but can never find a complete list, anyone know of a site where I can get them ??

The staff turn over is terrible in that shop, and I didnt know that they werent paid over time. I do agree though, BC keeps going on about his `family` but never seems to do anything but over working, and under motivate his staff.

Daune's behavior is terrible and certainly not of a true manager, supervisor. Im so surprised he's never been chinned. Some of BC staff were tossers, Bluebear was one. He was a fat kid that had a terrible mouth on him and his behaviour towards BC when essentially he was being paid to restore his car, was madness !

Chip Foose is far more hands on, and has a style I prefer, something about muscle cars :-) He seems more fun aswell. BC is a miserable sod, but I suppose this is dull to being reminded daily about what he once married. :-)

As for Jo, consider BC's ex, she not bad and quite a looker despite her sickly sweet act of tears and sobbing when someone leaves. Wonder how she would react if one of the guys got her int othe paint booth, and asked her to hold his "Spray gun" :-)

SBK
Old 20 June 2006, 10:16 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Simon K, try torrentspy. You'll find a few episodes of AHR as well as AC if you fancy some Tuetul humour too
Old 20 June 2006, 10:53 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I used to like watching Amercian Chopper, but got tired of the same old arguments. Jr argues with father, father tells jr he's messy / lazy, Mikey talks crap and does nothing, same thing every episode.

Anyone watch "The Garage" ?

SBK
Old 20 June 2006, 11:10 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Yeah, ive seen a few of the Garage but whenever I notice its on its a repeat episode. It's either the VW Golf air-con episode, The Curly Watts episode or the one where they collect that old ford anglia as a project.

Chop, Cut and Rebuild is a very good show but only seen a few episodes and can't find any to torrent.

I also liked Southern Chopper but that seems to have died a death now.

I'm looking forward to when Discovery air the restoration of a VW Splitscreen Camper. Not sure when its being aired though.
Old 20 June 2006, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I liked Roy, he was a laugh, especially when he was taking the **** out of the black guy who was working with him. The black guy was a real character too.

Les
Old 20 June 2006, 11:14 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Hahah that reminds of that "Rebuild" series. That guy who is a vet that's rebuilt an E type jag, motorbike, 4x4, plane, helicopter. He's running out of things to build. Always seems to have his trusty lacky "Pete mate".

Had ot laugh about your comments about the Garage, as I cant seem to see any new episodes either. I keep seeing the Ford Anglia one, and the Audi TT cooling system one. Sometimes that blonde helper looks very tasty, other times she looks rough.

SBK

Quick Reply: Roy Schmidt dead !!