Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Is Global Warming due to carbon emissions and pollution created by man?
Yes of course it is and I wear hand knitted jumpers!
24.10%
Don't be ridiculous it is just a load of rubbish!
59.04%
I am keeping my eyes and ears shut and driving my Scoob anyway!
16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Global Warming - truth or fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 11:10 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Global Warming - truth or fiction?

Following on from, or indeed in addition to some recent threads, let's get to the core of the matter.

Is global warming real?

There are many scientists and lobby groups who only exist to support the hypothesis that human development has created global warming.

There are many scientists and lobby groups who only exist as they are in the pay of stakeholders who wish to oppose global warming.

There are a third group of scientists who are looking at the data and saying that the whole global warming debate is an industry in it's own right and a load of old cobblers. Their belief is that climate change is real - man's impact is irrelevant. Even more interesting is that one of the key spokespeople for the latter group is Michael Crichton who presents some very challenging data from the first two groups.

Rannoch
Old 31 May 2006, 11:13 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Following on from, or indeed in addition to some recent threads, let's get to the core of the matter.

Is global warming real?

There are many scientists and lobby groups who only exist to support the hypothesis that human development has created global warming.

There are many scientists and lobby groups who only exist as they are in the pay of stakeholders who wish to oppose global warming.

There are a third group of scientists who are looking at the data and saying that the whole global warming debate is an industry in it's own right and a load of old cobblers. Their belief is that climate change is real - man's impact is irrelevant. Even more interesting is that one of the key spokespeople for the latter group is Michael Crichton who presents some very challenging data from the first two groups.

Rannoch
I would be inclined to take what David Attenborough says seriously.

Maz
Old 31 May 2006, 11:15 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Well one things for sure the seasons are now fooked! As a kid growing up in the seventies I remember long hot summers and snow in winter, we dont have any extremes of weather now and there is just no consistency so something has *definately* changed. And its all soooo boring now!
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes the climate is changing, it always has, at the moment it is warming, the question is if it is natural or man made (AGW - Anthropogenic Global Warming)
alloy
Scooby Regular

figment of the imagination, it's all propaganda and scare mongering tactics IMO. It's easy to blame human race and industrial processes, but it's also a new route for the big wigs to impose more taxes and regain control over segments that have slipped out of their juristiction.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:19 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'm reading State of Fear at the minute by Michael Crichton which touches on this very subject, only a few chapters in though so dont have any conclusions to draw yet.

I reckon its all bollox personally - the earth will be around long after we've all nuked each other.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why has the climate changed pretty radically over the past half years Rannoch?

I don't wear hand knitted jumpers, I get them from the charity shop, so I can't vote in your poll.

Les
Old 31 May 2006, 11:29 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Of course the Earth is warming, 'cos the Sun is, inexorably until its catastrophic demise. Mankind may aggrivate the situation slightly, but that's down to sheer numbers crippling the eco-system that supports us. I can't vote in the poll as if I vote yes then I am admitting it is solely the fault of cars and industry, if I vote no then I appear a deluded luddite, and if I vote for the Scoob....oh, hang on. That makes sense although a little arrogant
Old 31 May 2006, 11:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Why has the climate changed pretty radically over the past half years Rannoch?
Has it changed radically, compared to what / when? As to the "why" well if we knew that people wouldn't still be arguing the toss.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The earth is warming? Its June tomorrow and Im still using my frigging central heating... WTF.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes Olly, there is a marked difference in the types of weather that we get in the different seasons now compared with earlier times well within living memory.

Les
Old 31 May 2006, 12:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes Olly, there is a marked difference in the types of weather that we get in the different seasons now compared with earlier times well within living memory.

Les
A bit like it was raining yesterday and it's sunny today? That's a big difference.

The global climate has always changed - 10,000 years ago most of the UK was under several feet of ice, one suggestion is we are still recovering from that, temperatures have been higher in the past too. What's your point?
Old 31 May 2006, 12:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Les
Trouble is Les, in the grand scheme of things as far as the planet goes, living memory is an insignificant amount of time.

Further to my post in the Clarkson thread, records are available which show that prior to the Krakatoa eruption, temeratures and climates were not dissimilar to those we have now.

As Rannoch's post said, it all depends on which bunch of scientists you choose to believe, at the end of the day they've all got a vested interest. I personally go with the geologists, who generally are saying it's all part of the natural orderof things
Old 31 May 2006, 12:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA

Maz
And so you should. Remember he is one of many people playing in this think space.

One of the key researchers in this field with the scariest data has had all of his work rubbished even by global warming supporters.

His methodology was fed with randomly generated computer data and it produced the same scary 'hockey stick' effect of massive impact of global warming. His work was the basis for much of the recent thinking

I think we could all be a little more open minded.

Michael Chrichton makes a great point. With between one and two billion people dying of starvation every day, an Aids epidemic in Africa and many other global challenges - climate may just not quite deserve the funding it is getting today based on some hysterical outcries of some rubbish scientists.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Einstein RA

Maz
LMAO - I refuse to be lectured in any way by that f*cking hypocrite.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I'm reading State of Fear at the minute by Michael Crichton which touches on this very subject, only a few chapters in though so dont have any conclusions to draw yet.

I reckon its all bollox personally - the earth will be around long after we've all nuked each other.
I listened to the audio book on a rather long drive recently, excellent information and your views won't change
Old 31 May 2006, 12:48 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Trouble is Les, in the grand scheme of things as far as the planet goes, living memory is an insignificant amount of time.
At Cheddar Gorge, there is an attraction (if you can call it that) of Jacob's Ladder, which is a stone stairway of 274 steps up the side of the gorge. As you go up it, it has information boards which state events from the history of ice ages etc of the planet, using the steps as a time-line through it. When you get to the top, knackered and out of breath, it reads:

"If you placed a sheet of paper on the top step, that would equate to the time humans have been on the planet."

Really makes you think!
Old 31 May 2006, 12:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
"If you placed a sheet of paper on the top step, that would equate to the time humans have been on the planet."

Really makes you think!
I posted in another thread of impending ecological doom recently about just such a thing...CLICKY
Old 31 May 2006, 01:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Les
The temp change is 1 degrees F apparently from 1880 to now, not amazingly different is it?
Old 31 May 2006, 01:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The Sun is constantly getting bigger and hotter. This planet, and all other planets in our solar system are getting hotter.
The only reason our planet is the temprature it is now, is that millions of years ago a comet smashed into the Earth, killing the Dinosours. Before then, the whole planet was tropical. No North or South pole. Our Planet is just going back to where it was. No Tax will stop that. In another few millions years from now, this planet will just be molten rock, as the Sun will be so hot nothing will survive. Tax us for the Gordon !!!!

Stating Global warming for everything is just a way to justify pushing up taxes.

Last edited by stilover; 31 May 2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 31 May 2006, 01:55 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

According to focus magazine the sun has about 5 billion years left before it becomes a white drawf

They reckon humans equate to 7gt/year of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, where as a single (big) volcanicic erruption can release upto 1.5gt/year of carbon dioxide upto 15 km into the stratospher causing a lot more damage.
Old 31 May 2006, 02:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Hmmm. Your thoeries are just that ....

Dave
Not so. Scientists have been to the North & South Pole, and have dug bore holes. They know exactly what the atmosphere was at any give time. There was no snow at the North & South pole before the comet hit. Not a theory, a fact.
Old 31 May 2006, 02:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by OllyK
Yes the climate is changing, it always has, at the moment it is warming, the question is if it is natural or man made (AGW - Anthropogenic Global Warming)
Nail on the head hit!

Has Sir David even commented on this issue yet, or has he just said that he thinks climate change represents a danger and had the greens jump on it.

Ns04
Old 31 May 2006, 02:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond

Really makes you think!
Yep!!.
Printer or fax paper????

Ns04
Old 31 May 2006, 02:42 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Do you do stand up?
Old 31 May 2006, 03:06 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
The earth is warming? Its June tomorrow and Im still using my frigging central heating... WTF.
I'd be for thinking the same, but unfortunately, it's true. The reason why it's still cold, is due to the added water from the top and bottom of the planet, which are heating up and thusly the ice is disappearing. This in turn has a massive effect with the weather across the entire world. Added to that, with the amount of tree's continuing to decrease and the carbon dioxide getting larger from refineries and machines, it all add's up to be humans at the centre of the problem.

It's now proven by the MET Office that it's us that are causing it all.....i won't be here to see the worst of it though.
Old 31 May 2006, 03:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by drb5

It's now proven by the MET Office that it's us that are causing it all.....i .
Yeah, cause they're never wrong are they?
Old 31 May 2006, 03:34 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Tis a good point!

Old 31 May 2006, 03:35 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think we should cull some humans off, we all breathe out carbon dioxide and there are loads of us...let's start with the French!

Quick Reply: Global Warming - truth or fiction?