Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you walk by on the other side...

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 01:21 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you walk by on the other side...

...or risk getting stabbed?

I've been asking myself this question since watching the news and having listened, slack-jawed, that there were 50 stabbings over the bank holiday weekend! A couple of lads were stabbed going to the aid of others. So; fight or flight? Could you live with the knowledge that you were a coward? Would you risk your children growing up without a Dad to go to the aid of a stranger? Perhaps your partner would have to care for you if your spinal chord were damaged!
Old 31 May 2006, 01:25 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

tough call.. i would normally go to the aid of someone being attacked , but my mind set seems to be changing somewhat lately, i think i would make the attacker 'aware' they were 'seen' .. but dont really know if i would intervene.. depends i think on what i saw as the threat.if it was 'just' a fist fight, prolly not, booting in someones head,.. yes .. knives ... hmmm..
Old 31 May 2006, 01:29 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Absolutely horrifying!
I really don't know where the world is going!
My mother said once that one can only do so much.Rest has to be left to the unknown.That's the way I work things out sometimes when such occurings shock me.
Nothing cowardish about it and, the paranoia is only natural for the way things are.
We needn't give up,though.We need to make people aware of the pain/hurt/right/wrong and hope for the world to be a better place one day.
Old 31 May 2006, 01:42 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Would you risk your children growing up without a Mum or Dad to go to the aid of a stranger?
Sorry Turbohot
Old 31 May 2006, 01:43 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Thanks!
Old 31 May 2006, 01:54 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

For my sins, I do tend to get involved where maybe I shouldnt, and have taken a couple of beatings to show for it.

Agree with Hectic here, if its one on one, then would stand back and watch and enjoy

If someone is on the floor getting kicked then i would get involved, I know how it feels
Old 31 May 2006, 02:20 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i would NOT aid if the person is GETTING attacked, but would call 999

cos in the end i might get attacked as well, that leaves two people needing help and who knows when or if people would help

however i would aid the person if the person HAD been attacked
Old 31 May 2006, 03:06 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
i would NOT aid if the person is GETTING attacked, but would call 999

cos in the end i might get attacked as well, that leaves two people needing help and who knows when or if people would help

however i would aid the person if the person HAD been attacked

How about if more than one was going to town on one person on the floor
Old 31 May 2006, 05:23 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by hectic
tough call.. i would normally go to the aid of someone being attacked , but my mind set seems to be changing somewhat lately, i think i would make the attacker 'aware' they were 'seen' .. but dont really know if i would intervene.. depends i think on what i saw as the threat.if it was 'just' a fist fight, prolly not, booting in someones head,.. yes .. knives ... hmmm..

Pretty much my thoughts
Old 31 May 2006, 06:56 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Would have to do something, it's not in my nature to walk away.

Would probably end up in prison myself as I wouldn't weigh in half heartedly.

It would be an idea though to alert the attackers of surveillance cameras watching them even if there wasn't any just to get them to stop the attack.
Old 31 May 2006, 08:17 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Yes.I don't think you would be thinking about knives at the time.

Having said that,you would have been able to tell a group of teens to bugger off ten years ago.Now you would probably get a kicking from a load of thirteen year olds who know their rights.

But the world is of course a lot better and it is only the media making a big thing about society being pants now.So some keep telling us
Old 31 May 2006, 12:36 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I got stabbed 28 years ago going to the aid of someone one evening. Very similar to the train one as a girl was getting slapped about by a guy and I stupidly stepped in. Luckily enough the police arrived before the guy could do me more damage. Turns out it was a domestic

Things are'nt much different nowadays contrary to what people say.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I would have absolutely no hesitation..... in walking away. Let them all get on with it, nowt to do with me.
Old 31 May 2006, 01:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

This Knife culture bothers me. It doesn't matter if you're 14 stone with a decent right hook; if some toerag's prepared to stick you then you're taking a massive gamble. Why do they want to hurt other human beings? I'm still trying to come to terms with the actions of the boys in the link below.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006240558,00.html

They're either unable to differentiate between good and evil or worse, they choose evil. Although I'm not a believer in the supernatural God, I remain grateful for having attended Christian primary and secondary schools, Cubs, Sunday school and so forth. Valuable lessons are learnt! But, and this really bothers me: would I walk by? Would I bottle it for fear of a cold blade in my belly?
Old 31 May 2006, 01:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/...ll/3634266.stm

This happened about 4 years ago literally 300 yards from where I used to live,bloke is stabbed to death after asking the bloke to stop his dog fouling on the pavement,and despite having a knife on him he gets a pathetic 5 years for ending someones life, actually 4 because he gets out this year
Old 31 May 2006, 01:48 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Even though I'm just a girl(!) I have, in the past, stepped in - not in a violent way - but I have asked people to stop doing something before now - and the element of suprise has generally worked!

Fact is, that was quite a long time ago and now I really don't think I'd run the risk - especially if I was on my own. I'd certainly call 999 and try and remember as much about the scene/ attackers as I could - even photograph if I could - but I wouldn't step in.

Too many people don't value human life and would cheerfully stab/ shoot/ beat me up - frankly it's not worth it.

Mind you - i guess it depends to some extent - if it was a little old lady getting mugged then maybe - but then again, who knows. Until you're actually faced with a situation it's pretty hard to say.
Old 31 May 2006, 03:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JTaylor
This Knife culture bothers me. It doesn't matter if you're 14 stone with a decent right hook; if some toerag's prepared to stick you then you're taking a massive gamble. Why do they want to hurt other human beings? I'm still trying to come to terms with the actions of the boys in the link below.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006240558,00.html

They're either unable to differentiate between good and evil or worse, they choose evil. Although I'm not a believer in the supernatural God, I remain grateful for having attended Christian primary and secondary schools, Cubs, Sunday school and so forth. Valuable lessons are learnt! But, and this really bothers me: would I walk by? Would I bottle it for fear of a cold blade in my belly?
The video footage on that site is truly frightening. The attack was completely unprovoked and utterly cold blooded.

The only consolation is that one of them will be put away for life, as a conviction for murder carries an automatic life sentence. I hope the other two get put away for a LONG time too!

Ns04
Old 31 May 2006, 03:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would I walk on by, yes I would. Why? A few years ago a friend was coming out of a shop and two people were arguing outside the shop, one produced a knife and attempted to stab the other person. The chap did get one slash in before my friend managed to restrain him and prevent the chap from stabbing him as well.

The police came along and took statements and what not. It ends up in court, and my friend is called as a witness, the lawyer of the chap with the knife starts on my friend, bringing up his medical history and such like, things which have no bearing on the case. Basically trying to discredit him as a witness.

My friend is basically made to feel like he's done something wrong, rather than coming to the aid of another human being.

Since then he will happily walk on by if someone is getting knifed, unless it happens to be someone he knows, in which case he might step in. Sad I know, but I agree with him really.
Old 31 May 2006, 04:04 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'd think twice, TBH.

I went to the aid of a total stranger once and ended up getting a frightful kicking - hospitalised, the full kit and kaboodle.

I'm married with a 14 year old daughter now and I know where my loyalties (and hence self-preservation) lie.

Cheers
Kav
Old 31 May 2006, 04:41 PM
stew911
Scooby Regular

walk past and dial 999, its just not worth it.
Old 31 May 2006, 04:57 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I would have absolutely no hesitation..... in walking away. Let them all get on with it, nowt to do with me.
It's weighing up if both parties do look as bad as one another for me.

Any hint of an unprovoked attack and I'd be in, regardless.

Having just watched that video I am truly sickened to think anybody could possibly carry out such an act.

Absolute wánkers!!
Old 31 May 2006, 05:08 PM
Reality
BANNED

Let's get Gordon Brown in for 5 years - he'll sort it.

Aye - that'll be ******* right.

Don't know what I'd do in a similar position - but I know if I was attacked I would take one of the attackers to hospital with me (with his nose / ear in my mouth having bitten it off).

Hopefully the police will be able to identify the scum from the dna !
Old 31 May 2006, 05:33 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

I would atleast phone the police and distract the person who was doing the attacking, i couldnt just stand there and watch, many times ive stopped kids having the **** kicked out of them by older kids they soon **** off when i start kids seem to attack the underdog. Luckily i've never been attacked and hopefully i wont be, but it knocks me sick how another human can stab/kill/murder another human and pretty much get away with it
Old 31 May 2006, 06:40 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

I work on the railway and we got the train in that the student was stabbed to death on last Saturday. The loony tune that stabbed him told the police he panicked cos the door would't open! he also smashed 3 windows trying to escape after the incident.The poor sod that got stabbed was just in the wrong place at the wrong time sat in his seat.
Old 31 May 2006, 07:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

that Sun footage is really scary - guy wouldnt know what hit him. They were just animals that should be put down
Old 31 May 2006, 09:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by warrenm2
that Sun footage is really scary - guy wouldnt know what hit him. They were just animals that should be put down
Animals don't behave like that mate.

Desmond Morris once said that "we [humans] like to think of ourselves as fallen angels. In reality, we are risen apes".

Some of us don't even reach that status it would seem.

Scum like that give our species a bad name.

Ns04
Old 31 May 2006, 10:04 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

think it depends on the situation, how many how much bigger the attacker is than me has he seen me, if h has seen me and is bigger than me id shout at them, get them to chase me, i'm pretty sure they wouldnt catch me thats for sure(used to be a sprinter )

ron
Old 01 June 2006, 07:46 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Just watched that footage and feel physically sick.

People behave in this way because they don't care at all about sentences.Whoever said they will get life...maybe...but what is life anymore in prison terms? Bugger all.

I'm seething at the moment.
Old 01 June 2006, 08:08 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

would have to run indoors and get out the "dukes of hazzard" bow and arrows!

Quick Reply: Would you walk by on the other side...