Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

London Congestion Charge

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2006, 08:06 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London Congestion Charge

As many will know a lot of the decriminalised parking schemes are, basically, illegal. Neil Herron has been socking it to them in a big way and really there is no reason to pay a parking fine in any of the areas that are decriminalised. Neill has also taken an interest in the London Congestion Charge and had a hearing this week. Transport for London didn't bother to turn up (now there is a surprise) so it will be another while before we hear the ruling but this might turn the congestion charge on its head. Neil's summary of events can be read here:

http://neilherron.blogspot.com/

It is most amusing to see Neil report that during breaks in presenting their own case they also helped 5 others who were there appealing parking fines to win their cases.
Old 20 May 2006, 10:14 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ROFL

We are fortunate enough to be in the situation that we can have a Fleet Policy so it means that we shouldn't get a PCN for forgetting the congestion charge but sometimes new vehicles or temporary replacements get missed and PCNs turn up.

They are a complete and utter bugger to sort out If you want to defend it, you have to wait until it becomes a charge certificate and appeal it when it gets to Northampton Enforcement Centre, but even then its a pita and at the end of the day, takes up more management/administration time than actually paying the PCN however unfair or wrongly issued it was.

Case in point was that we have the ability to add an ad-hoc charge to the system to cover vehicles (in this case mine) that need to go into the zone. This happened one evening, so I attempted to go online to add the charge. Their website was fuxored and told me to contact customer service. So I did. Because it was a fleet issue, I was transfered to fleet - who weren't there as it was after 17:00 I went back to CS and they advised me to speak to fleet in the morning - by which time I would be a) after the 22:00 watershed and b) late for the day - hence would get a PCN. So I made sure that I emailed a contemporaneous note to fleet on the issue, stating the name/xtn of who I spoke to and his advise together with a snapshot of the webpage fault.

Next morning I rang fleet and went over the situation. Chap said it hadnt been issued yet and advised me to write in. I did. Morning after that I rang in and was told it had been identified to be issued but DVLA hadn't got the correct details of the owner of the vehicle. Reason for this was that I bought my car pre-reg and hadn't yet re-reg'd it. I pointed out that I could never re-reg it and then they couldn't issue LOL. He wasn't that impressed!

At that point they hadn't received my letter so I left it two weeks. I rang again to be told that in light of my letter, the PCN was cancelled 10 days previously! They never wrote me a letter

Its a gargantuan system that is completely inflexible and inefficient, not to mention completely unfair in its dealings so I hope that Neil succeeds.