Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Oops! It appears that cameras dont lie...

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2006, 12:06 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oops! It appears that cameras dont lie...

It appears that an ANPR sweep of London found that 46% of offenders were black! This is compared to a maximum black population of 25% in some of the areas covered (other areas had less).

Good to see some evidence based discussion! (Shame it doesnt fit in with the PC brigade's ideas though eh?!)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...179561,00.html
Old 14 May 2006, 12:34 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

IIRC the previous Chief Constable of the Met got in trouble ( ) because his force released statistics that showed the majority of crimes successfully prosecuted were black. I guess that statistic could be skewed by Police actively targeting crimes committed by blacks and ignoring ones committed by whites. But you can't really argue the same with ANPR, which purely targets number plates and issues a yes/no as to whether the vehicle is legal.

Anyway if 46% were black then 54% weren't.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:38 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The other 54% were probably Eastern Europeans though !
Old 14 May 2006, 12:39 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan

Anyway if 46% were black then 54% weren't.
yeah the rest were white albanians
Old 14 May 2006, 12:43 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

what does anpr do, is it just to effectively produce statistics or do they actively go after non legal motors ??
Old 14 May 2006, 12:49 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Its not just car crime, watch crimewatch once a month and its difficult to pick out a genuine white british person.

Im not a racist by no means, i have family members who are black but im not surprised at these findings!

Too many immigrants/asylum seekers/teerorists who dont want to go back to there own country for fear of reprival. They dont give a toss about the laws and rules in this country.

You think they're going to fork out hundreds of pounds on a driving license, then the same again on tax and insurance!

We are far too soft in this country
Old 14 May 2006, 01:20 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
what does anpr do, is it just to effectively produce statistics or do they actively go after non legal motors ??
Reads number plates on cars as they drive past, then instantly crosschecks with online records to see if the vehicle is registered, taxed, MOT'd, insured, or if the registered keeper is banned etc. Very quick way of telling if a vehicle is being driven illegally and if it should be pulled over, it's up to the copper operating it to pull the offending vehicle/driver over though.

Very good idea IMO.
Old 14 May 2006, 01:23 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
what does anpr do,
Don't know about in the Met area, but if you've ever noticed a camera van with a load of police motorcyclists beside it, you've seen ANPR.

If the camera flags up a passing number plate as untaxed, no MOT, uninsured, owner wanted for jumping bail, etc., a motorcyclist will be after that car rather sharply.

(Iwan - crossed in the post . I agree that it's a good idea.)
Old 14 May 2006, 01:31 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've seen the van + cars/bikes ANPR traps around a few times, but they also have car mounted ones now too.

On that "Traffic Cops" program a couple of weeks ago they had ANPR fitted in an unmarked Skoda Octavia vRS traffic car, it was lurking in a layby at the side of the road checking cars as they went past. When it found one they zoomed off after it and pulled it over.

BTW 5 of my friends are eastern european immigrants living over here. I know there are bad apples in all parts of society but these 5 are the nicest and most hardworking people I know. They are fully legal and pay their taxes, don't drive illegal unregistered cars etc. I'd place more trust in them than a lot of english people I know, and if I had my own business I'd hire them like a shot.
Old 14 May 2006, 02:48 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
The other 54% were probably Eastern Europeans though !
I am East European . . Have two degrees, pay my taxes, never thought of stealing cars, speak better English than the English, and drive a fully insured and totally legal Scoob . . .
Old 14 May 2006, 02:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
I am East European . . Have two degrees, pay my taxes, never thought of stealing cars, speak better English than the English, and drive a fully insured and totally legal Scoob . . .

Surely you of all people must be pi$$ed off at the majority that give YOU a bad name as well then
Old 14 May 2006, 02:57 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by cookstar
Surely you of all people must be pi$$ed off at the majority that give YOU a bad name as well then
Agreed with you entirely . . . .But what you are saying can easily become a slippery slope! MAjority is a little bit of a strong word to use IMHO . . . . . .Yes . .I am E.European (Russian namely), but have lived here for the best part of 20 years and in some respect dissasociate from the comrades! . . All I am trying to say, that its not necessarily such a great idea to point fingers at people based on ethnic origic or race . . .And ofcourse, how silly and arrogant of me to even think that the other 54 % could include anyone white/English and middle class . . .I'l get me coat!

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 14 May 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 14 May 2006, 03:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Do you drink loads of Vodka ??
Old 14 May 2006, 03:25 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Do you drink loads of Vodka ??
I can't stand the stuff . . .More in to my lager!
Old 14 May 2006, 03:28 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
Agreed with you entirely . . . .But what you are saying can easily become a slippery slope! MAjority is a little bit of a strong word to use IMHO . . . . . .Yes . .I am E.European (Russian namely), but have lived here for the best part of 20 years and in some respect dissasociate from the comrades! . . All I am trying to say, that its not necessarily such a great idea to point fingers at people based on ethnic origic or race . . .And ofcourse, how silly and arrogant of me to even think that the other 54 % could include anyone white/English and middle class . . .I'l get me coat!

Again agree with you, BUT most of the Eastern Europeans i come into contact are arseholes, and i am only commenting on personal experiences.

You pay your taxes, work etc, to me you are a valuable part of British society, the others are not and are destroying all hope of open mindedness towards you and others like you.
Old 14 May 2006, 03:47 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Showed my west indian friend this. He said black meaning African. From what he tells me the west indian communities are pissed that as over the years they became fully intergrated with british society, over the last 5 years with the huge influx of africans they are giving black people as a whole a bad name.
Old 14 May 2006, 03:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Showed my west indian friend this. He said black meaning African. From what he tells me the west indian communities are pissed that as over the years they became fully intergrated with british society, over the last 5 years with the huge influx of africans they are giving black people as a whole a bad name.

I have had exactly the same comment from a West Indian friend of mine,
Old 14 May 2006, 03:52 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Again agree with you, BUT most of the Eastern Europeans i come into contact are arseholes, and i am only commenting on personal experiences.

You pay your taxes, work etc, to me you are a valuable part of British society, the others are not and are destroying all hope of open mindedness towards you and others like you.
People who emigrated here 20 years ago are a completely different kettle of fish to those coming here in the last few years IMO. Back then, people were coming here to work, not to sponge off a bloated welfare system. Now it's mainly criminals and spongers without a doubt, not that we don't have our fair share of British representatives in those classifications as well!

Last edited by lordretsudo; 14 May 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 14 May 2006, 03:59 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
People who immigrated here 20 years ago are a completely different kettle of fish to those coming here in the last few years IMO. Back then, people were coming here to work, not to sponge off a bloated welfare system. Now it's mainly criminals and spongers without a doubt, not that we don't have our fair share of British representatives in those classifications as well!

very true
Old 14 May 2006, 04:02 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Yes . .Based on personal experince , I have a pretty low tolerance for that lot, because I do observe a lot of rif raf / disfunctional people coming through . .Problem is, they are of low culture and don't feel like treating this place like home, which is ofcourse disappointing . . But point of fact, I never experienced any xenophobia in this country, and as someone of foreign origin I am only likely to stand out in rural parts of the country! . . .Ofcourse, regarding the original question , yes . .the cameras never lie . .But statistics are there to be manipulated, and should be viewed relatively . . Personally speaking when in ma Scoob, always drive with doors armed, windows slightly tinted and bandit glass present! Its just plain street wise!