Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rear ended last night!! :mad:

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 12:32 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended last night!! :mad:

I’d appreciate your thoughts / experiences on this one please ....

Waiting at some traffic lights last night, minding my own business and WACK!! Some fool in a Vauxhall Zafira rear ends me

They get out and instantly admit it was there fault. (no ****)

Now, I have a £500 excess on my policy and I leant this morning that I need to claim on my insurance to get my car repaired which means forking out the £500 excess. I’m pretty pi$$ed off at that anyway since this is in no way my fault. The other option and the one I’m, going to try first, is speaking to their insurance company and trying to get them to arrange the repairs.

My question is this, what chance do you think I have of getting them to repair it? Last time this happened some muppet reversed into me while I was stationary and my car ended up at a feckin Rover dealers for repair. Hello, it’s a damn Subaru! Needless to say it took weeks for them to get parts, paint it blah blah blah.
I’m going to need a courtesy car and of course my neck is stiff this morning. I get the feeling they will tell me to **** off. There were plenty of witnesses but of course no one stopped to offer their name and address

What do you think, has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks

Chris
Old 13 May 2006, 12:50 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

We were in this situation a couple of months ago. Some bird ran into the back of us whilst we were waiting to turn right wiping her Saxo out in the process!

There is absolutely no reason why you have to pay anything excess wise as it isn't your own insurance company that you are claiming from. There is no way that the Zafira driver can not be at fault. A rear end shunt is nailed on. You won't need witness statements.

I strongly advise that you phone their insurance company and make them aware of the accident and your intention to claim. They should then contact their insured to assertain fault. They may ask if you wish to get some estimates for the work to be done or they may insist that they send out an independant assessor to estimate repair costs.

With regard to your neck/back injury I would advise you get straight to the doctors and get an entry on your medical record.

Where abouts did it happen?

Last edited by gatecrasher3; 13 May 2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 13 May 2006, 02:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Happened to me last year. Called my insurance company straight away, they aranged the repair, all inter-insurance company admin, courtesy car, got the money direct off the other persons insurance company and didnt need any excess payment, my no claims was unaffected.

The only problem i had was the quality of the paintwork repair and the fact they didnt replace the towbar, i complained about this and gave the garage a second go at it, still not up to standard so i insited i take the car elsewhere. Insurance company had no problem with this and paid my chosen repairer, who did an excellent job.

I am with Privilege, who always give top service.
Old 13 May 2006, 02:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fnarr Fnarr.....
Old 13 May 2006, 03:13 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I had a guy hit me, he got his insurance co to sort out my car and he even called to make sure I was OK. Nice chap!

Another guy hit me about 18 months earlier, who then tried to blame me. It went to court and ended up costing him £1100 costs plus repairs.
Old 13 May 2006, 03:52 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

When this happened to me and i didnt wanna pay my £700 excess i used www.helphire.com who supplied a decent hire car and sorte everything, without me having to pay.
Old 13 May 2006, 04:20 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

i also used a third party company to sort out my non fault claim. (accident exchange)
they arranged a comparable courtesy car, rather than any old sh*t corsa

alos i didnt have to fork out any excess.
from my experience you can state where you want thecar repaired, rather than go to the body shop they suggest
Old 13 May 2006, 04:59 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Chris - on the subject of where the repairs are carried out. You are fully entitled to insist on who should repair your car. Your insurance company will often ask you to get a couple of quotes for comparison, but don't be fobbed off with their 'preferred' (i.e. on the books and cheap) repairer.

My Scoob was wacked in a similar situation a couple of years ago - I picked the dealer to have it repaired at. The same last year when my RX8 was side swiped in a car park - I insisted on it going back to the main dealer who had an excellent crash repair and paint shop facility.

Chris
Old 13 May 2006, 05:14 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I had an accident last month, 3rd party fault. dident have to pay the excess (claimed back from the 3rd party) you only pay the excess if its your fault / you cant claim from the 3rd party

I also had the coose of the body shop (although using your own takes longer, as the insurance co need to obtain a quote etc etc)

Last edited by gazza-uk; 13 May 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 13 May 2006, 05:36 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys, some interesting info in there.

It happened on White lane. Near the Old Harrow

I'll deffo look into these third party help organisations. I got the impression this morning from Highway insurance that I can let them deal with it and pay the excess (which i'll probably get back eventually) or basically sort it yourself with the other persons insurance company. I didn't really know what to say to that to be honest and was taken totally by surprise. I always thought Insurance companies were there to sort these incidents out for you no matter what!

Interesting to learn I might have a choice where the repairs take place, as mentioned in my first post the Rover dealers wern't exactly impressive.
Old 13 May 2006, 06:31 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Dont pay anything out,if the other person has admitted fault then its up to their insurance company to pay all fees including cost of repair.

Hope you get it sorted without too much trauma
Old 13 May 2006, 08:56 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CEL
Who are you talking to out of interest? I'm damn sure I don't know you so therefore assume you are directing that at someone else.
Take it to Gilders Hillsborough (just done mine) and g0ldmember works there !

Done a top job on my car..
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=505553
Old 13 May 2006, 09:04 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CEL
I’d appreciate your thoughts / experiences on this one please ....

Waiting at some traffic lights last night, minding my own business and WACK!! Some fool in a Vauxhall Zafira rear ends me

They get out and instantly admit it was there fault. (no ****)

Now, I have a £500 excess on my policy and I leant this morning that I need to claim on my insurance to get my car repaired which means forking out the £500 excess. I’m pretty pi$$ed off at that anyway since this is in no way my fault. The other option and the one I’m, going to try first, is speaking to their insurance company and trying to get them to arrange the repairs.

My question is this, what chance do you think I have of getting them to repair it? Last time this happened some muppet reversed into me while I was stationary and my car ended up at a feckin Rover dealers for repair. Hello, it’s a damn Subaru! Needless to say it took weeks for them to get parts, paint it blah blah blah.
I’m going to need a courtesy car and of course my neck is stiff this morning. I get the feeling they will tell me to **** off. There were plenty of witnesses but of course no one stopped to offer their name and address

What do you think, has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks

Chris
Must be the month or something. I got rear ended last week whilst going to work, luckily it was my run-a-bout and not the Scoob STI. Now I'm off work for 3 weeks with Whip lash. Everything now being done through a third party repair firm and a solicitor to recoup costs. I am using these people to sort it out for me. Better than what Admiral were arranging. For example: I'm on Third Party fire and theft on my Run-a-bout. Admiral wanted me to either:

A).. Drive 25 miles to a Garage they recommend for repairs or

B).. Get 2 quotes from other local garages in the area.

Thing is, I have now sustained whiplash and cannot drive anywhere. Luckily I gave these people a ring:

http://www.kindertons.co.uk/

Now I have had a guy from a reputable body shop come out to my house to look the car over and in the same day get everything authorised to be taken away and a hire car brought to my house. They even asked me what engine size I wanted and colour I didn't prefer for the hire car.

2 Days later I get the paperwork through from Admiral wanting 2 quotes and to use my own envelope and stamp to reply back.

Last edited by jpor; 13 May 2006 at 09:07 PM.