Ebay problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 12:39 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay problems

Hi folks,

I bought a blitz dump valve (no chav jokes please ) from ebay on the 3rd May. I e-mailed the seller and asked if I paid instantly could he post it the next day. He mailed me back saying that would be no problem, so I paid via Paypal on the evening of the 3rd.......and haven't heard or received anything since.

I e-mailed him twice yesterday, but have had no reply. I waited until the post was delivered this morning to see if the item would turn up today, and it hasn't. I have e-mailed the seller again today stating that I will report the matter to ebay and take matters up with the police if I don't receive an explanation, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I apparently can't start item not received proceedings through ebay until 10 days have passed.

Can any of you offer any advice as to where to go from here?

Thanks,

Brian.
Old 09 May 2006, 12:43 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thought it was 7 days before you can raise a dispute with the seller. To be fair it could be a simple explanation as to Royal Mail lost it, what postage costs have you paid.

Im peed off with ebay people recently, sold 2 items and with them being reasonably high value I sent them special delivery even though they only paid for normal first class. Not heard anything from them, no feedback left, I emailed them and asked if theyve recieved the goods OK as Ive heard nothing and theyre ignoring the emails doing my nutt in
Old 09 May 2006, 12:47 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

There's so much **** flying around about Paypal payments that some sellers like to wait and see if Paypal has "cleared" - whatever that means. Happened to me and it took around 10 days to get some goods that seller said he would post off immediately. Just check that item is not stuck at your local sorting office, just in case. dl
Old 09 May 2006, 12:47 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

well it could be dodgy mate, might be a case of him not being around.

My case:
Bought a turbo off ebay seller, loads of contact whilst we were in the process of the sale.
once paid by paypal and no goods arrived, suddenly all emails were unanswered. no sign of turbo and had to wait for 10 days before starting recovery proceedings.

got most of my money back, but **** never was caught, so yes iot does happen, but you have to make sure it is not a case of him being unavailable for all genuine reasons, hence the cooling off period..frustrating though..
Old 09 May 2006, 12:48 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

it may be 7 days, if so I'll report it tomorrow. I know there may be a simple explanation, but having had no reply to any of my e-mails asking when I can expect delivery, I've a feeling that something is amiss. Seeing as it's quite a high value item which I paid 6 pounds delivery on - I'm getting quite anxious. Where do I stand with regards getting my money back, and will the police actually be able to do anything?

Thanks,

Brian.
Old 09 May 2006, 01:20 PM
stew911
Scooby Regular

my bf ordered some graphics of fleabay last week and they haven't arrived either????
sounds like we have the same problem?
Old 09 May 2006, 01:56 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Sounds similar. I'm fuming as I've done over 1000 ebay transactions and had no problems so far. It gets to me that the thief (if that is what he turns out to be - things could still work out ok) is able to hide behind ebay so my hands are tied.
Old 09 May 2006, 02:13 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

A threat of a negative usually does the trick- I've been selling on ebay for years now and have a 99.8% positive rating of well over a thousand.

We offer next day delivery if ordered before 1pm monday-friday, and I'm quite proud of the fact that I have a 100% success rate. I am very keen to preserve this, but some others just don't give a toss.

I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt until seven days have gone; as soon as you are able, and if its not arrived, dispute the PayPal payment, which will freeze the funds- then you'll soon see a response. If he can't prove he's posted them they'll refund your money, but this can take a while as they give him tenb days to respond.
Old 09 May 2006, 02:15 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Im peed off with ebay people recently, sold 2 items and with them being reasonably high value I sent them special delivery even though they only paid for normal first class. Not heard anything from them, no feedback left, I emailed them and asked if theyve recieved the goods OK as Ive heard nothing and theyre ignoring the emails doing my nutt in
Track & Trace for Special Delivery:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm

Old 09 May 2006, 02:34 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

I've opened a dispute through Paypal so will see what comes of that. Looks like I'll be left without my money for around a month though while they investigate the claim. Gutted.
Old 09 May 2006, 02:49 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

There is a way of getting their phone number and address. Damned if I can remember how but basically if you can grit your teeth and trawl through the ebay 'help' it will give you a link. You can do this for any person you have an open transaction with.

They will get your details too (via email from ebay) but in my experience this proved to be an excellent final nudge in the right direction. Although I didnt actually contact him, I did receive an email within 24 hours of me knowing where he lived, confirming that the item had been dispatched..... with apologies - the pet gerbil had died or something
Old 09 May 2006, 02:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive been on the opposite end of this problem.

I received payment for goods valued £35. I sent the item recorded delivery.

Within 24 hours of paypal payment, guy was mailing me asking why it hadn't turned up. I sent it within 3 days as per my auction.

A number of very snotty emails from the buyer basically accusing me of ripping him off and not sending it. Produced proof of recorded delivery slip to him and paypal.

He spoke to paypal and his money was taken from my paypal account within a couple of days of him making the complaint against me. My account was effectively locked for about 2 weeks until I had funds to clear the debt.

Sneeky bas**rd decided he didn't want the item, never collected it from the depot and then accused me of ripping him off so he got the money back quicker.

Point is, if you make a big fuss with paypal, they will always refund the buyer and leave it up to the seller to prove innocence etc.

Ring them, the numbers are on the website but its only between 10am and 2pm or something.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:31 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

I appreciate that it can be a bit tough on genuine sellers, but I have given this guy plenty of opportunity to sort the matter out. If the item had been posted when he'd agreed, it would have been with me on Friday or Saturday at the latest. There is clearly a problem, and his dodging of my e-mails despite me threatening to report him would support this.

My view is that the item was won for less than he expected to get for it (although it was still a fair price considering the item is second hand), and he's decided to take the money and run, with a view to re-selling it again later.

Even if he is genuine, it doesn't take much to respond to an e-mail to let me know what's going on. I always let my buyers know when to expect their items and feel good communication is key to successful transactions.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:35 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Managed to get the sellers phone number so gave them a ring. I got hold of his girlfriend's mother who told me she'd get him to call me back. It turns out he was called away with work and had asked his dad to send the item, which has been done.

So...all's well that (hopefully) ends well, don't know how I'm gonna manage this massive humble pie I'm away to eat though - doh!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it was down to it that this matter was resolved.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:35 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Managed to get the sellers phone number so gave them a ring. I got hold of his girlfriend's mother who told me she'd get him to call me back. It turns out he was called away with work and had asked his dad to send the item, which has been done.

So...all's well that (hopefully) ends well, don't know how I'm gonna manage this massive humble pie I'm away to eat though - doh!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it was down to it that this matter was resolved.